“Typical Belgium restaurant”

Ranked #299 of 4,048 Restaurants in Brussels
Price range: US$23 - US$69
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the historic centre of Brussels just a few steps away from the Grand' Place, the Scheltema has been an institution in the Ilôt Sacré area since 1972. The establishment is known for its seafood specialties and its turn of the century pub ambiance, which combine to make the Scheltema one of the most prestigious restaurants in Brussels.
Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is close to the Grand Place and close to the area with all the touristy restaurants. But it is typical Belgium with its decoration, the menu and the waiters (all male). It is not cheap and simple, but quality is excellent. Mix of meat and fish and the home made apple pie is to die for.

1  Thank HongKongTraveller3

Reviewed October 15, 2017

I accidentally/coincidentally ate here two nights in a row, as it was chosen by other people I was with, including a big organized dinner. I am not sorry, tho there are obviously many great places to eat in Belgium. So I had the crab ravioli, the baby sole with shrimp, the salmon and the apple strudel, as well as champagne and wine. All very good. Everyone else also seemed to like their food. The service was a bit off the first night but they managed to accommodate a party of nine with no reservations. They did fine with the big group. The waiters have the cute Belgian personalities and all seem experienced. I am getting hungry just writing and thinking about these two meals, and when I think of "dinner in Belgium" this is what I had imagined and will remember. I would also for sure go back.

1  Thank ChiMagMile
Reviewed October 7, 2017 via mobile

Service is horrible these servers should learn how to deal with customers. They are careless. The menu does not state the right items. To top it off they get angry when you Don t leave a tip.
Stay away for sure

ATGP, Responsable relations clients at Scheltema, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2017

Hello,
Thank you for your comment. I am sorry to hear that your experience in our restaurant wasn't as you expected.
one of our values in our restaurant is to make sure that the customer has a nice time. Please can you tell me when it happend exactly?
We will do our best for something like that to never happend again!
I hope that you will give us a second chance.
Eloïse

Reviewed October 3, 2017 via mobile

There was so much wrong with this restaurant I cannot go into detail without writing an essay. In short, the service was terrible, the waiter was incredibly obnoxious, the food was poor and unbelievably overpriced.... stay far far away.

ATGP, Directeur général at Scheltema, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2017

Hello - I am very surprised to hear such a comment about the Restaurant Scheltema - All the team is dedicated to customers - All our dishes are prepared with fresh products by our chefs and it's like this since 40 years - I apologize if we missed our objective with you and that you had a bad experience - I can only ask you to come back in order for us to convince you about our quality! Regards, Julien

Reviewed October 3, 2017

Booked for 19 people, arranged menu and got everyone to pre select their choice. Grilled fishes became a slab of salmon and steak with dauphinois potatoes arrived as steak and chips. Served very off milk with coffee. Waiters very rude when we asked for separate bills - shouted and waved arms around. Manager refused to do this even though each bill was the same and I offered to pay in one amount. Did not help in any way. Very expensive for what we got. Air conditioning had broken down two weeks earlier but we were not warned. Very hot. Will not go again. Embarrassing.

Dear Madam - I am very sorry to hear that our staff did not react properly to your demand - It is true that we cannot split tables and make different bills with the imposed cashier system and it is a fact that separated payements takes times when it is not planned - But they should have consider this situation with politeness - We do not have grilled fish at menu neither gratin Dauphinois, it was probably a misunderstanding? For information, all our dishes are fresly home made by chefs - I apologize for the broken AC which is now working - I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you again at Scheltema in order to convince you of our quality!! Regards, Julien