“Good choice”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed September 19, 2015

This restaurant is very near Saint Catherine's Church. They have a nice variety of fish, lobster, rabbit, and beef. Very friendly staff that will help you select some of the popular dishes. Try the dessert made with eggs, Porto, ice cream and other ingredients.
Seating is available for inside and outside. Reservations are needed for sitting outside.

Reviewed July 2, 2015

We planned going somewhere that we had researched in advance on trip adviser, but when we arrived we found it was closed, so we took a chance on Au Cochon D'Or. I really wish we had not - this was truly the worst experience in our 4 day stay in Brussels. When we arrived we took seats outside and we were given menus by the older of the two guys that were serving. After about one minute the other guy came along to take our order - no offer of drinks to start and a few more minutes browsing the menu. Anyway, we ordered food and a carafe of house wine - the waiter said we could only select from the first page of the drinks menu - no explanation as to why. The wine arrived and it was to be honest fairly awful. I ordered fish soup to start and my partner decided to skip the starter. The soup arrived and it was a reasonable bowl of soup. The empty bowl was removed by our charmless waiter who I never saw smile once! No asking whether I had enjoyed it - he obviously did not care. After a brief interlude when all the two waiters seemed to do was to smoke. my wife's main course of Chicken Warterzooi arrived and she described this as OK. My main course of an entrecote steak, described on the menu as Irish, could not be called OK - it was far from OK. It was honestly the toughest piece of steak I've eaten in years - well I had about 3 mouthfuls and then gave up - it was horrible. I did eat most of the french fries that came with the steak - they were OK - but only OK and lets face it, french fries are not the zenith of culinary art! We were never asked while my wife was eating if we were enjoying the meal. Once she had finished the first waiter came along and noticed I had eaten very little. I explained the steak was tough - he did offer me "something else" but I declined. He then suggested that I had perhaps asked for it to be cooked wrongly - but I had ordered medium and they had clearly cooked it unevenly so some bits were well done and some bits were medium - all bits were inedible. I asked for the bill. After a delay it arrived with no reduction and no apology. I paid the 67 Euros and came straight back to write this review. If you like terrible service, bad food and wine that tastes like vinegar this is the restaurant for you.

Reviewed May 23, 2015

Good restaurant, near Catherine Catedral. I am recomand this restaurant, also the Irish beafsteak, also rabitt, also all. Service is good, do not miss them!

Reviewed March 31, 2015

The Cochon d’Or in Brussels is a glorious throwback to the 1940s It is unusual in these hectic times to be greeted at the door by the chef and the maitre d’ who appeared untroubled by the pressure of clientele inside the restaurant. It soon became apparent however that culinary preparation did in fact require them elsewhere for much of the evening.
The Cochon d’Or has a refreshingly modern approach to its wine list. Say goodbye to those long hours spent perusing the carte, this restaurant has settled upon the simplest of solutions – wine should be served as it was meant to be served in Roman times. Both red and white arrive in simple carafes many of which have been washed in the last decade. The contents are splendidly indistinguishable – wine qua vinaigre.
Brussels is celebrated for the excellence of its cuisine and there are indeed many other restaurants in the neighbourhood where excellence and choice are available. The Cochon d’Or has, however, managed to restrict selection to the essentials, almost as if the ingredients for a more extensive palette were superfluous to modern living. Flavour and tenderness have been banished in the search for the perfect evocation of insipidity. Service has risen to this apathetic challenge with the waiting staff appearing almost effortlessly to absent themselves leaving the diner to contemplate the culinary experience unbothered for hours at a time.

2  Thank alexfR4236QU
Reviewed March 22, 2015

what was it that should have given it away, the laminated pictures of the food outside, the touting waiters speaking good English in dirty uniforms blocking the pavement or the fact that it was almost empty?
as a group of 15 without a reservation on a Saturday night in tourist central Brussels perhaps our group decision-making dynamics were severely challenged. the fact that our wives weren't with us maybe also explains.
but with unbridled optimism we let hope over experience prevail and mounted the stairs to the second floor. on entering the room we were met with a not altogether pleasant and certainly uninspiring stench of what I suspect was embalming fluid. having military men in our midst we set about organising the tables and chairs in a suitable arrangement. being military men this took a great deal longer than was necessary and the first three attempts had to be by the civilians amongst us.
at this point I will fast forward the hour and the half of our lives, which we will never get back, wasted between ordering and receiving our food - from a small and overpriced menu, the majority of items were off. being simple folk we settled for similar fare. how badly wrong can a steak be? was bouillabaisse too challenging, is the art of deep fat fryer too high a mountain of gastronomy for our Belgian host to climb? and finally in a City which is moules perhaps we could rely on these? fear not reader, the depths to which this parallel culinary universe took us knew no limits.
a word on the simple wine list - we fell upon the pichons of what may well have been the embalming fluid - perhaps this foul liquid is a ploy to pickle the heads of those that might otherwise be tempted to write up their experience on trip advisor?
having paid up - it is difficult to say the menu is overpriced - compared with the excellent KisMet at which we had dined the previous evening, I felt more like we had paid a ransom to be able to leave.
wanting to wipe the muck of the food off my hands and exit in the state I arrived I visited the gents - on turning the taps I found there was no water - a fitting testament to a restaurant with no edible food, no drinkable wine that they had no water either.
if tripadvisor is good for one thing, perhaps this is the moment for cochon d'or to call it a day?

2  Thank michael t