“Excellent meal !”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed December 6, 2015

I am surprised with the bad reviews associated with this restaurant . It seems to be a love/hate affair and we do not understand why . We went there for an early dinner when we arrived in Brussels and we were more than happy with our selection . The food was excellent : I had the Lapin à la Geuze , my wife took the oysters and we shared a plate of cheese . We were recommended a white wine which proved to be excellent !
The service was excellent even though we had decided to eat on the terrasse which normally slows things down . The waiter provided us with helpful tips on places to visit in Brussels and even went to see his manager when he could not answer one of our questions .
The location of the restaurant is interesting as it is on a very famous place close to a metro station .
Overall , I cannot see what more we could ask from a restaurant !

Date of visit: October 2015

Reviewed October 11, 2015

I reserved a table and was allowed to select the one I wanted. The food was OK, it was good local fare and we cleared our plates. We were not rushed, you felt they were preparing your food with care. OK the sauce on my rabbit was a bit too strong, but my wife's beef just melted in the mouth. The wine we chose (didn't have a wine list) was excellent if pricey 36 Euro's. I would happily go back.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed September 19, 2015

This restaurant is very near Saint Catherine's Church. They have a nice variety of fish, lobster, rabbit, and beef. Very friendly staff that will help you select some of the popular dishes. Try the dessert made with eggs, Porto, ice cream and other ingredients.
Seating is available for inside and outside. Reservations are needed for sitting outside.

Date of visit: September 2015
Reviewed July 2, 2015

We planned going somewhere that we had researched in advance on trip adviser, but when we arrived we found it was closed, so we took a chance on Au Cochon D'Or. I really wish we had not - this was truly the worst experience in our 4 day stay in Brussels. When we arrived we took seats outside and we were given menus by the older of the two guys that were serving. After about one minute the other guy came along to take our order - no offer of drinks to start and a few more minutes browsing the menu. Anyway, we ordered food and a carafe of house wine - the waiter said we could only select from the first page of the drinks menu - no explanation as to why. The wine arrived and it was to be honest fairly awful. I ordered fish soup to start and my partner decided to skip the starter. The soup arrived and it was a reasonable bowl of soup. The empty bowl was removed by our charmless waiter who I never saw smile once! No asking whether I had enjoyed it - he obviously did not care. After a brief interlude when all the two waiters seemed to do was to smoke. my wife's main course of Chicken Warterzooi arrived and she described this as OK. My main course of an entrecote steak, described on the menu as Irish, could not be called OK - it was far from OK. It was honestly the toughest piece of steak I've eaten in years - well I had about 3 mouthfuls and then gave up - it was horrible. I did eat most of the french fries that came with the steak - they were OK - but only OK and lets face it, french fries are not the zenith of culinary art! We were never asked while my wife was eating if we were enjoying the meal. Once she had finished the first waiter came along and noticed I had eaten very little. I explained the steak was tough - he did offer me "something else" but I declined. He then suggested that I had perhaps asked for it to be cooked wrongly - but I had ordered medium and they had clearly cooked it unevenly so some bits were well done and some bits were medium - all bits were inedible. I asked for the bill. After a delay it arrived with no reduction and no apology. I paid the 67 Euros and came straight back to write this review. If you like terrible service, bad food and wine that tastes like vinegar this is the restaurant for you.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed May 23, 2015

Good restaurant, near Catherine Catedral. I am recomand this restaurant, also the Irish beafsteak, also rabitt, also all. Service is good, do not miss them!

Date of visit: May 2015