“A bit of Ireland in Brussels”
Review of De Valera's - CLOSED

De Valera's
Price range: US$13 - US$29
Cuisines: Irish, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed June 25, 2017

De Valera's is Brussel's tribute to one of Ireland's most beloved Prime Miniters and Presidents. It's located in Place Flagey, in the neighborhood Ixelles, and everytjing about it will make you think of Ireland and its sports pubs, already from the outside, and also from interior decorations, it is immediately recognizable.
The menu is British, with stews, fish 'n chips, and pies. Nice selection of beers, both Irish/British and Belgian.
I had a Burger with fries, my colleagues ordered more burgers and a guinnes stew pie. We all had beers, but, as it was a very hot night, I chose a light white beer rather than a Guinnes.
The service is informal, staff is all made of young people, they all speak English and are very kind. My burger bun fell while the waiter was putting it on my table, and the server immediately had it replaced.
All of the food was very good. We were asked how we wanted our burgers cooked, and they were all actually cooked consequently.
The size was very generous, I was able to finish it but leaving some of the fries which, incientally, were excellent and accompained by two super tasty sauces.
We spent around 2€ each, and the didn't mind allowing us to pay separately, which was very convenient as we all have to file in separate travel notes.

Reviewed April 10, 2017

It's a nice place, nice atmosphere, good to grab a beer with friends. The service is good, polite staff, it's a really nice place to just chill after a whole day spent sightseeing.

Reviewed March 17, 2017

I lived in Brussels for several years and often had Sunday lunch at Dev's, as it was known. I took my husband there, friends and relatives. We all agreed that the service was friendly and prompt and the food was delicious and well priced. It had the atmosphere of a lively Irish pub. Since relocating to the UK we have often visited Brussels and on two successive visits have called into Dev's hoping for lunch and a beer. The first time we went we were completely ignored by the bar staff and although we waited for 20 minutes, no one came to take our order. Other people were also being ignored. No explanation was given. We gave up and went across the road to another establishment. Our most recent visit was yesterday. We were greeted by one of the bar staff, who then completely ignored us. He even took an order from two people sitting close to us, walked right past us and continued to ignore us. At one point three staff stood around chatting while we waited. This is not the Dev's I remember. I can only assume there has been a change of management. Once again we left. This time we won't be going back.

Reviewed December 14, 2016 via mobile

One of my favorites, to watch football or meet up. Staff hyper friendly and helpful, food reasonable (try the chicken Tikka Masala!), prices ok. All public including children which is nice to see. Arsenal supporters are particularly well treated at the bar where games are shown with sound. Otherwise great tolerance for all supporters with large screens showing multiple games.

Reviewed December 8, 2016

I go here regularly for the sports but my taste is offbeat - Gaelic games, rugby and golf rather than soccer. However, staff are very accommodating and almost always tune-in a TV screen for me, directing soccer fans to the multiple other screens. I tip accordingly. Food, when I bother to eat, is good value and unpretentious. Guinness is very good! Clientele is very international and courteous. I would be equally happy going here with either my mother or daughter, or both. Quite an "Irish" pub therefore in this important respect - welcoming.