“Homely comforts”

Cafe Bistro Terrastje
Ranked #171 of 796 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Description: A small cafe/bistro on the corner of Genthof and Langerei in Bruges. Serves limited menu of well-cooked food - good for a light lunch - excellent range of beers. Reasonably priced and we had a warm welcome on a very wet day which was lovely.
Reviewed January 10, 2017

This was quite a find, right near the hotel. Wonderful place. Cosy and homely. Warm in the winter. A great selection of beers on tap. Wonderful tapas options for light bites over a drink. The owners are wonderful people. Very friendly and knowledgeable about the beers they sell and the city that they live in. Definitely worth a visit.

Reviewed January 1, 2017

Firstly, if zero stars were an option, that is the rating I would have gone for. So, I arrive on a cold and wet New Years Day. We squeeze in to the busy bistro which looks so cosy and inviting from the outside. I ask the woman if she can seat 2. No. We leave, but see a couple leave immediately after us so we head back in and take a seat. No acknowledgement. Another couple arrive and are immediately seated by rearranging another group to free up a small table for them. Interesting that this was not an option for us. We wait. And wait. And wait some more. Giving up hope for table service, we try ordering at the bar. No food is available except olives and cheese. Fair enough, it is late afternoon on a public holiday. Except, except not so fair enough when the people who arrived and ordered after us seem to be getting the food that was not available to us. We go to pay and find an extra drink has been "accidentally" added to our bill.
So what do I make of this? I see from reviews that other people have experienced similar service here. What I am wondering is how many of these others have the same "olive" skin tone as me? I absolutely never play the race card, but when you experience this level of indiscriminate rudeness in the midst of shall we say paler customers who are not being treated the same, you really do have to wonder.

3  Thank TravellerX99oo
Reviewed January 1, 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and I stumbled across this place on New Year's Day and had been walking for a while, in the freezing cold. We couldn't believe our luck, lovely quaint, little cafe restaurant. 15 minutes sat at the table no service, not even an acknowledgment. A local couple walked in, within a minute order taken and served? We were left twiddling our thumbs!

We were horrified. The owner (I assume) eventually came over to take our order, after 20 minutes being sat at the table, we just got our stuff and left.

Reviewing, the comments on trip advisor, seems this is the owners normal behaviour!

Terrible - please don't bother plenty of other fantastic places in Bruges to visit and enjoy good food and hospitality! These owners need to learn!!

1  Thank Boomting23
Reviewed December 14, 2016

did not want our custom...... place full up with drinkers, but could not be bothered to get 2 chairs so we could eat.

2  Thank thedevonexplorers
Reviewed December 4, 2016 via mobile

This is a small restaurant bar that does home cooked food. It's cozy and warm and has a relaxed atmosphere. It is well priced and serves a variety of drinks and food. Lovely place to escape from the cold and is just outside of the usual tourist spots so it's a bit more relaxed.