“Location gave this hostel 1 point” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Passage

Hotel Passage
Ranked #89 of 98 Hotels in Bruges
QC
“Location gave this hostel 1 point”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

It was my first time to arrange a trip and book a hostel so I naturally didn't really know what I was doing and I led my friends and myself choose the cheapest hostel since I thought, how bad could it be? the pictures looked nice.

But these were only photos and they didn't match the place at all. The hostel wasn't clean and it was quite uncomfortable to sleep because you can hear EVERYTHING especially the bar downstairs and people running up and down the stairway. The bathrooms and rooms had no locks (and the shower door also had no locks). Showers and toilets were separate and toilets were shared with the customers downstairs so cleanliness wasn't really there. If you value privacy too, don't expect to get it because the rooms are also shared. Well I guess a good thing was they had lots of nice maps for youths and the lady was friendly but that was it. We won't be staying here again as it was uncomfortable and security was not assured.

Location was nice, it was near everything.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

This hotel was a great location but that was all that was good. Smelled like the sewer. The restaurant management was rude. The bathrooms and showers are on different floors.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Bruges hotels

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2011

Getting straight to the point, the accommodations at Hotel Passage was fairly 'bare-bones' but they are adequate for a few nights.

The Good-
1. GREAT location. Absolutely can't be beat.
2. Awesome price.
3. Hotel has lots of character & Belgian Charm.
4. Room had a lovely view.

The Bad-
1. Our room did smell oddly of cat-pee.
2. 3rd floor walk up very narrow, steep stairs.
3. The only shower is on the very bottom floor (each floor has it's own shared toilet).
4. The free wifi ONLY worked in the downstair parlour. The signal could be received in our room.

I'd probably stay at Passage again, if only because of it's fabulous location and affordability. At the end of the day, this is a small hotel attached to a hostel. And honestly, the 'hotel rooms' are more or less just private HOSTEL rooms. Don't go expecting the comfort of your standard hotel. Expect the Hostel treatment and you won't be surprised when that it what you receive. It's not the lap of luxury, but it's adequate, clean & safe.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tamara B
Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2011

This is for the hotel side, not the hostel, but could still be relevant for any potential hostellers

Hanna was chatty and friendly on our arrival which was very appreciated. She did however tell us that we couldn't check in until 3pm which wasnt much of a problem for us, but seems very slack- I've never been given such a late time, and I've stayed in some real dives. We could store our bags for free until then and keep our valuables behind the desk.

The room itself was big (I wasn't expecting two double beds, so I didn't have to share one with my brother :)!: this is room 12 btw) and had a table and seats. The Chinese-style decor is tired and a bit cheesy- the red and black walls are gloomy (the red is dark so not so Chinese) and the plastic bamboo arrangement was broken, with a couple of the lily leaves we on the floor :). The door had a big gap at the top, and I was woken on the first morning by people on the stairs and their loud talking outside. The bathroom had a saloon style door allowing all noise and smells into the room, but was roomy and clean. The towels were pretty threadbare. For my brother and I it was fine but for the money, 67 euros a night, I cannot say if this is a good deal- Bruges is pretty expensive generally, but perhaps there are some newer or cleaner places. As far as old world charm goes, the building is old but the room as described didn't fulfil those desires for me.

Apparently the rooms have broadband but my brother could get no connection when we first tried on the second night and after that it was exceedingly slow. We didn't care particularly but any long term travellers hoping to catch up on things would be disappointed. I also just dont like it when hotel owners provide substandard services like this without giving any warning. I read now in other reviews that other people have complained about this and the owners haven't taken notice- it's just sloppy and uncaring, and I would be embarassed to advertise the broadband and then deal daily with disappointed guests. Many $10 rooms in the third world have fast broadband so there is no excuse.

After a couple of days the room hadn't been cleaned so I asked for this to be done. Now, I don't mind that in a hostel, but a hotel...?

We were thinking of eating in the restaurant as there is a free beer with it but the bloke was sour-faced and avoided eye-contact or smiling. The girl on reception was not exactly cold but instead impersonal. When my brother wanted another drink the guy put his palm up to say no, he was busy. When he had finished what he was doing he just went off for a bit. We didn't eat there! In fact there is a really cheap and popular place across the road that we went to a couple of times.

During a rainstorm I asked the lady owner if she could open my room as my brother had the key (we only got one). She opened the building door but when I said I wanted access to the room she just said sternly, 'then I can't help you', and just left me there. Perhaps it is a cultural thing to say everything abruptly and wihout apology, but I doubt it....

When we checked out, the lady seemed a bit brighter and asked if everything had been alright. I thought this was too little too late. I didn't feel the owners care particularly for the needs of their guests or acted as friendly hosts. Perhaps the hotel business was forced upon them because I doubt this is their vocation in life.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Prague
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2011

Me and my friends were travelling through Europe and stayed for one night in this Hostel (unfortunatelly). Arrived early morning, parked the car in nearby undergroung parking lot-Zilverpand- just opposite the Hostel which was very convenient. Did some sightseeing till 3pm and then we checked in. Our room was on the second floor, at the end of the hall-room for 6 with three bunker beds. Room was small and simple, but for tired people who havent slept for hours- it was brilliant. Not sure why most of the people write negative comments. OK, its no 5star hotel, but for the location and price its totally worth it.
Showers were fine, sure you cannot lock the main door (but I used the toilet door to block it a bit anyway) and then you can lock the showerbooth itself. There is one toilet in the shower room and then on the first floor few more toilets that are shared with the people from local restaurant. We also had our own sink in room, so no problems with brushing the teeth :)
we all slept soundly, without any problems. No loud noises from the street nor neighbouring rooms. All rooms have new electric locks-you type in your numeric code and you can enter. There is a WIFI for free, though signal was the strongest at the restaurant.

RESTAURANT is definitelly worth mentioning. As a hostel/hotel guest you get one beer per person for free. Which was very nice. The offer is not very big, but from what I´ve seen- everything looked yummy. We all had belgian mussels (around 20 euros) which were superb. They dont have them on offer all the time though- which is understandable as they´re fresh.
I would definitely love to come back for longer. This time we were just passing by. Brugge is a beautiful town and while there, you need to try belgian chocolate, mussels and fries & boat ride.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank sikovnicek
Nagoya, Japan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here two nights in April. It surely is one of the worst hotel we ever stayed. The door does not shut enough. No light in the shower room. No power in shower water. Beds are not comfortable. What else? No we do not want to recall the experienced we had here. We want to forget this!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

Our whole stay was horrible. The room was so dirty. The bathrooms weren't clean at all. The only good thing about this place is the location.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple