“Poor attitude, small portions”

O Moinho do Cu Torto
Ranked #42 of 272 Restaurants in Evora
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 13, 2017

Half portion of lamb chops produced 4 of the smallest chops I have ever seen. Had to be served on a side plate to make them look like they were actually filling some sort of space. Forgot to bring any accompaniment. Finally noticed and after a wait, came back with a small bowl of rice because the potatoes were "not in a good condition". It was supposed to come with rice and roasted potatoes. When I remarked that the portion was both small and lacking one of its main ingredients, the answer was not "We'll bring you some extra salad/rice/another item to make up for it" as one might have expected, but instead the highly original "well it will leave more room for dessert". Insolent man. Then the dessert menu came and we asked for three explanations to local/regional names we did not understand or recognise. Getting the waitor to tell us in audible Portuguese was like dripping blood from one of the nearby menirs. Food quality was decent, but whole experience spoiled by the conceited service and little value for money, no warmth in the service whatsoever and an insolent arrogant attitude towards us as foreigners who speak decent Portuguese. We were later told that it has recently changed ownership, so maybe the new people should take up power boat racing instead. AVOID.

Reviewed April 10, 2017

Great authentic regional food with excellent service, at a reasonable price. Definitely a place to visit if you like tasting true regional recipes and the best local wines in a local environment.

Reviewed December 28, 2016 via mobile

I am a vegetarian, I was told by a friend who is a regular customer there and suggested me to have the famous tomato soup that I could ask for a vegetarian option, and they said they could only make it with meat. I asked for eggs and asparagus and they were out of asparagus. The servant guaranteed that the tomato with quale eggs were vegetarian with no meat, and I got pieces of meat in my mouth... I asked for an omelette and he said the kitchen was too busy for that. I asked for migas with chips and egg and he said I would have to wait a much longer time for an extra fried egg, so i cancelled that (must be hard to fry an egg...) and he guaranteed me it could be a vegetarian version. Then another servant came and said that the tomato with quale eggs had meat, that they could serve an omelette, he said to cancel the migas because it's fried in animal fat.. So i just lost my appetite, had dessert.. And on the bill, they charged me the tomato with eggs that had meat on it.. Even after i showed how disrespectful I felt... This was a disgrace and a disrespect to me as a vegetarian, as a hindu, as a customer, as a human being. Not acceptable in the 21st century.

2  Thank dipzdipil
Reviewed December 14, 2016 via mobile

Nice and authentic old mill, very interesting place. Food is good. Typical from Alentejo. Recommended Açorda and porc meet. Also good cakes for dessert. Moderate price.

Reviewed September 15, 2016 via mobile

This is one common choice in Évora, no one looking forward for typical food of Alentejo would get disappointed at any moment coming here for a meal. The atmosphere is like everyone’s grandmothers (local) houses used to be in the past. And similar words might be said as well about the food! The appetizers, dishes and desserts are excellent, as simple as that! I’m taking the tomato soup regularly because at Moinho they prepare this dish as my Mother and Grandmother do! I simple love the food here and the prices are fair. I'm not giving a straight 5-star review because I've had tiny issues with the staff once in a while, they should improve the friendliness and also get proper child seats as the cheap ones from IKEA!