“Amazingly delicious”
Review of Alkimia Madeirense

Alkimia Madeirense
Reserve with
Alkimia Madeirense is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 292 Restaurants in Evora
Price range: US$17 - US$25
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Alkimia Restaurant Madeirense, a welcoming and interesting space in the city of évora with the main mission of provide to the clients a typical meal madeirense.
Reviewed July 16, 2017 via mobile

Top 10 best food we ever tried, we went there for late dinner, very quick service(only thing missing is english menu), the waiter had a nice knowledge of english explained us everything, we had tuna steak with wine sauce was amazing and a skewer of beef and french fries the madeira way, was fabulous! The terrace was amazing, perfect to have a cozy dinner with your partner/family

1  Thank NazarDavidoff

Reviewed July 12, 2017

After three days at a music festival, we were tired and in need of a proper meal. Close to our hotel in Evora (the Vitoria Stone) was a nice looking restaurant which was a little cheaper than it looked (perhaps 9 Euros a main course). The place looked nice and tidy with an outside courtyard and an attached but separate bar area (and its own seating area to the front of the place). It was a little confusing at first but we then went into the restaurant and out the other side to the outdoor restaurant space.

We ordered two mains; tuna steak which was very large and fresh, and beautifully cooked (pink in the middle rather than well done) and I chose the local Portuguese delicacy made with bread, veal, ham and cheese - all cooked together and served with a rich salty garlic dark sauce. This dish can be a bit over slimy and over salty if not done well, but I had a fine example here; its a very rich and filling dish originally made of left overs of course, and not for the faint hearted.

Our service was friendly and laid back; in fact slightly too laid back - we asked for coffee at the end of our meal and he offered for it to come in a while - we said 10 minutes would be lovely, and then had to catch his eye before he served it. No biggie, but we were getting tired by this point.

All would have been great, and the restaurant received a deserved 5 star (and there are plenty of great eating places in Evora) but unfortunately the restaurant rather blew it with the starter. As is often the Portuguese way, the waiter plonked down a few unasked for dishes. Perhaps we weren't completely on the ball after the music festival so we didn't immediately wave them away, but when he returned with the water with our meal we asked him to take them away. I must confess I worry about how many people have turned down the dish but with it being sat in thru warm being coughed and smoked over before they are accepted.

In this instance the offered starter was just silly huge, and we would never have been able to eat both these and the large main course we had legitimately ordered. There was a big bowl of chopped up octopus (I try to avoid octopus as although it is lovely to eat, its also one of our more intelligent animals on the planet) and we also got a big bowl of chopped up marinated tuna (to go with my beloved's main course of tuna!). Alongside this was a random plate of chopped up local cheese and bread. In total there was 15 Euros of unasked for extra food on our table.

Although we refused the starter (and asked for and received a simple bowl of olives which served us well) both olives and the refused starter appeared on our final bill. Obviously there was no issue with that "error" being corrected, but it just left me feeling that the restaurant had placed themselves in a position of doubt. Not only had they completely misread the size and content of our meal, it also looked like they may have been pulling a fast one with including our legitimate requested starter (which surely gave them opportunity to remove the unasked for ones).

Obviously I have no evidence to prove the position either way, but we had both originally decided we liked the food and venue enough to have another meal there during our 5 nights in Evora, to deciding that we won't be going back. I'll roll with a 4 stars to give the place the benefit of the doubt, but I do suggest anyone dining here checks their bill through pretty carefully.

jo_ocP9028DV, Gerente at Alkimia Madeirense, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2017

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your visit and your positive review.

It is of our best interest for our custumers to express their experience.

As you have explained our waiter brought to your table our usual starters, and as soon as the starters are put on the table they go onto the bill. We understand you waved them away the following time the waiter came to your table and we apologise for the error of it not being removed from your bill. However as you mentioned once you brought it up to our waiter´s attention he ammended your bill effectively.

Kindest Regards,

Joao Castro

Reviewed April 25, 2017

Inspired by the colors and flavors of Maderia, according to the owners, and certainly provides good food! Portions, as always in Portugal, are large. So are flavor profiles. This was a variation on the "standard" Portuguese menu and it was most welcome. Grilled pork loin on a skewer with ham and tomatoes, a large green salad, tasty soup. I was an interloper at a family reunion, so kept to the side and still had a fun time. So glad to be taken to this place! Worth a detour if you can find it.

1  Thank SeattleRoamer
Reviewed October 7, 2016

Found on T/A. 1 min from our hotel very welcoming, the waitress very friendly, excellent English. The starter very different, Tuna could have had that as a main course. My husband and I had steaks. My husbands was cooked to perfection, mine was very bad , but the chief agreed and replaced immediately, wine list good and not silly money, will certainly recommend and go back next time in Evora

Reviewed June 6, 2016

I can't speak to the authenticity of this as "Madeiran" food, nor do I personally think that's particularly important.
My wife and I were hungry after a hard evening of wine tasting (!), and, since we live in the Alentejo, we were looking for "atypical" food.
And this place delivered. We sat outside (it was warm), but we did peak inside at the pretty amazing decor.
But we go to restaurants for the food. Nice garlic bread with some cheese while we waited. Soup was decent, but not amazingly special. Steak with Madeira sauce was excellent - great piece of meat, cooked lightly to a turn, with an interesting, enjoyable sauce, and good, very very hot, chips. Fabulous chocolate tarte to finish. All served delightfully by a young lady with an infectious smile and demeanor.
We weren't that hungry, so we shared the main course - not huge portions as found in many other restaurants in Portugal, but actually enough for us that day - and it left space for the amazing sweet.
This is not a particularly cheap place, but not silly-expensive either, and the food was well worth the little extra.