“Great holiday!”

Alfagar II Aparthotel
Ranked #10 of 154 Hotels in Albufeira
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Myself and my family visited this hotel in May, the rooms were perfect for a self catering basis - lovely and spacious, modern and clean. They have everything you need, the kitchen comes in very handy if you can't be bothered to go out, comes with all the equipment. Towels, toilet roll etc were replaced everyday which we were not expecting. The balcony was huge with sun beds and table & chairs so you could always sit and relax in your rooms as well as by the pool.

The outside pool was big but very cold, probably as it wasnt quite their summer season just yet. We had a couple of outcast/rainy days so the indoor pool also came in handy which was also warmer than the outside pool. The kids pool looked great although we dont have any young children but would be perfect if you did.

We didnt try the buffet restaurant as the menu looked very limited however, we did eat in the snack bar in alfagar I which was nice enough wouldnt say it was amazing though. Also did snack food at the bar by the pool which were also good for lunch times.

We ate out most nights either in Albufeira or Ochios which we found some lovely restaurants so do take a walk or get a taxi to find these. The walk either way is approx 15-20mins which was perfect in the evenings however the taxi would roughly cost 4-5 euros.

The only downside to the hotel is that it is advertised as if it is on the beach when actually you have to walk down the cliff side steps to get there which isnt the easiest of walks in the heat, however the beach is beautiful once you get there. You can alsoo access it via the road but we didnt go that way.

I would definitely recommend this hotel if you dont mind a walk to the other towns, otherwise in Balaia there isnt a lot to do, if you dont fancy walking then a taxi is cheap enough and takes about 5 mins max. The hotel itself is lovely and clean, modern and very friendly. I would stay here again as it is great value for money!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
9  Thank HJ09_12
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed early May 2012 with 2 children aged 4 and 2.

The hotel is a walk away from 'the strip' - I'm not one for tacky resorts so we avoided this and paid the 6.50Euro taxi to the Old Town most days. At this time of year we had no problem getting a taxi. The hotel have a bus service but this only ran a couple of times a day and was just a mini-bus so filled up very quickly. Apparently local buses are expensive and unreliable so a taxi or hire care is the best bet.

Hotel is very clean, the staff incredibly friendly and professional -reception staff in particular were great. Our apartment was really spacious, modern and clean with a huge balcony. The mattresses in the bedroom we very hard an uncomfortable - I prefer a hard mattress but this was too much even for me. The sofa bed, however, was really comfortable!

The kitchen is great - clean and well equipped. We have a dining table in the apartment and on the balcony so we could coose where to eat.

We had a look at the buffet breakfast and dinner but weren't particularly impressed and it was quite expensive so we didn't bother eating there.

During our stay the weather weather was changable - on the hot days we had, the kids pool with the slides was just fabulous. My kids had a whale of a time there - friendly atmosphere round the pool too. On cooler days the water was too cold to enjoy it though. We tried the heated indoor pool but found that too was freezing! We took wetsuits for the kids which we used on cooler days.

There is a little bar next to the kids pool (which was cheaper than the cafe in the old Alfagar I) which was very convenient for ice lollies! The cafe in the Old Alfagar Village looked rather tired and was actually expensive. The food that I saw looked OK.

There are 2 play areas at the Alfagar - one at the Alfagar II next to the kids pool but this was pretty limited. There is a great, much bigger though ageing play area by the cafe in the Alfagar I though that was great.

The hotel is set in front of the old Alfagar village - and both share facilities. At the time we stayed there were only ever a couple of people around each of the very clean pools. The old apartments looked fine and those next to the cliffs had amazing views.

Beach access: a bit of a pain. The last few of the wooden steps down from the hotel are broken so inaccessible for anyone with small children or less physically able. The walk round via the road is straightforward but was a bit of a hike with 2 small children on hot days. They need to improve the beach access, or at least fix the broken steps.

The beach was very clean and had 2 restaurants where you could buy drinks/food, as well as a little shop. Lovely! A walk along the cliffs by the old Alfagar I apartments was lovely - great views along the coastline.

The on-site supermarket was (unsurprisingly) overpriced. We discovered a local food market and Lidl on the other side of the main part of Albufeira - about 7Euros in a taxi. Food there was great and a fraction of the cost so worth a trip to stock up.

There is a new ice cream shop by the taxi rank i the Old Town - absolutely fantastic - we indulged there most days! My favourite flavour was candy floss ice cream.

Entertainment at the hotel was lacking. The kids club had just started running when we got there but only 1 of my girls was old enough (they need to be 3) to go and from talking to other parents, it wasn't great - maybe as it wasn't well attended off peak). There were some evening events but we heard nothing about them until they were over. Probably much better in summer.

Overall the hotel location isn't brilliant but is managable. Entertainment and food lacking. Apartment/facilities great and child friendly - so spacious and modern. Pretty quiet at the time of year we went. I would go back - and in peak season when it's more expensive, I would consider the old Alfagar I - particularly the cliff-side apartments which had great views and surrounded by mature gardens with amaziing flowers and smells!

Overall I was impressed with the resort- I normally hate Mediterranean resorts as I find them tacky. Whilst Albufeira certainly has a tacky side, and I believe gets overcrowded in summer, we loved it - especially the Portuguese restuarants which welcomed our girls and kept them happy. Wherever we went people made a fuss of our children (even when they were being a pain).

In particular, the beachside restuarants in Old Town Albufeira were fabulous - a little more pricey than others but well worth it for the great view and wonderful food. We did wander down 'the strip' one evening but hated the hasstle from people trying to drag you into their restaurant and it actually seemd more expensive than the nice restuarants in the Old Town.

In summary - I would go to Albufeira again (I don't often return anywhere) and this hotel was great. I would, however try to find a similar quality hotel located closer to the Old Town - but if not then I woudl be happy to return to the Alfagar II.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank claretManchester
Reviewed 25 April 2012

If you are thinking of booking here over uk easter holidays because of the kids swimming pools and slides. You will probably be disappointed as they have been shut for the last two years over this easter holiday time. Check before you book other than that a good resort.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank hershambee
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Hello to all of our friends we meet in Portugal. Before I start I have to say that Portugal is the absolute cleanest and friendliest country we have been too in Europe. For our fellow Canadians we flew out of Toronto on Airtransat and it was awesome!!! Ok now to this resort; we stayed for 15 days and it was worth every penny! The resort is good size, clean and has good size rooms well equipped for cooking except for good knives and no microwave. The restaurant is excellent and the nightly entertainment is awesome. Karaoke totally rocks Wednesday and Saturday nights and they actually have 2 million songs to choose from. The things that need to be changed are the beds and the stairs going down to the beautiful beach!! The beds are 4 inches of hard springs but thank the good sleeping God, there are soft mattresses under your sofa!!! Believe me you will need them!! The stairs are broken going down to the beach at the fourth last stair and have been for a long time. I can't understand what they are thinking because not only are they a hazard, they stop seniors and people who can't jump from enjoying the beach. I hope management reviews this sight and repairs them ASAP! Beer is only .80 to $3 Euro everywhere in the country including Spain and Morocco. We rented a great car from Avis and drove everywhere for 15 days. Once your use to those turn around island thingies you'll find it's better than driving in Canada (sorta). BEWARE OF THE WHITE CROSSWALKS///// The pedestrians have the right of way and they know it!!!! Seville was to dye for especially the Tapas and the ONLYnice thing about Morroco is the culture. If you want more info about Morocco send me an email!!!! Hope this helps and please email me with any questions!!!!!!! Canadian Travelers Rock,,,,,,

Room Tip: Only ocean view can really sorta see the ocean. Not the new part!!!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank rookieWindsorRookie
Reviewed 23 April 2012

hi we found this accomadation had every thing for our needs we had 2 small boys and it def meet all our need we are going back this year. staff amazing. food adequate, clean and loads of space and acitivities to keep us entertained. only down side is you need a taxi to get to the nearest town and the walk to the beach is not straight forward with kids but there is a suttle bus that goes daily at a small cost. 2 great playgrounds.

Room Tip: ask for ground floor with children as stairs steep
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank becksbgalway
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The Alfagar 11 is only about 3 years old and is coupled with the Alfagar 1.We had stayed in the Alfagar 1 three other times but the rooms are small and the rooms have no heat.Some mornings it could be pretty chilly! The new building is set back from the water and looks over the old complex with just a slight view of the water.The kitchens are adequate and the little grocery store on site is well stocked and competitively priced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room where the balcony is glass not a wall of stucco.If you have the latter you cannot see...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank DiamondjimSarnia
Reviewed 17 March 2012

'I think this hotel is so good this is my 3rd time going as I live in Ireland!
So good.Go to it!

Room Tip: Pick the ground floors.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family