“Second visit -a tremendous amount of pleasure”
Review of Hotel Baia Cristal

Hotel Baia Cristal
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Carvoeiro
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Let me start out by saying again that, as I have already observed, the resort is well kept, the service was great, the people are phenomenal, as they try to solve any guests requests and needs.

Actually the hotel is not worn out at all, as some guests write, just, in some items, needs renewal or more careful maintenance.

I would say the best part of the resort it is people working there. My special recognition is also expressed to Patricia, Margarida, Varela, Pedro, people who took vivid and active part in my accommodation needs and personal trips arranging. They are very cordial, very educated, very helpful and very accommodating to my needs, including everyday ones. They made my second stay more paradiselike than before…
The hotel itself, its location and environments create very safe, peaceful and relaxing atmosphere. As for the board I took BB again that was the same, no-frills, but decent for me, because “man cannot live by bread alone”…Thank God that it is not some Turkish all inclusive slops.
Having been so busy with my wide travel program I rarely notice some disadvantages because my room 106 was fabulous indeed (just fixed a little bit water drain). Anyway it is not big deal, and all can be solved perfectly if you are cheerful, sensible, well-mannered. Get ready for the better.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first line are fabulous
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Helen H
NelsonPascoal, Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Thank you very much for your review, much appreciated.
We are pleased to know how much you have enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Baía Cristal and that you found our staff very helpfull and wonderful, they are a really asset to the Hotel, and your comments will be shared with all of them.
We passed your comments on what was less well to our Quality Department to avoid future situations
We all look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

We had a lovely break in Carvoeiro from 4th to 10th October. The weather was great: no rain and 28C temperatures. Vale Centianes beach, which is just below the hotel, was fantastic. Our air conditioned room was large with a balcony and sea view. The hotel is spacious with a good sized outdoor pool. There's a tennis court and indoor games room, where we played table tennis. The buffet breakfast was relaxed with a good selection of food and drink. We had dinner in a different restaurant in town each evening - about 15-20 mintes walk from the hotel.
All the hotel staff we came across spoke excellent English. I left behind our European Health Insurance Cards and Margarida on reception kindly posted these back to us. All in all great service.

Room Tip: It's worth paying extra for a room with a sea view
3  Thank CumbriansCarlisle

Thank you very much for your very nice review.
Your comments about our staff and service are much appreciated, because it is our aim to provide the best service for a relaxing holiday.
We are very pleased to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us at Hotel Baia Cristal in Carvoeiro.
Hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

We stayed here as a couple at thend end of September/beginning of October.
We had a very clean and spacious room with sea view
(we didn't book sea view so nice surprise).
The hotel is a short walk to the town of Carvoeiro (which is beautiful with too many good restaurants to choose from!) The walk may not be suitable for everyone as there are a few hills and cobbled path, but taxis are around 4 euros.
All the beaches around Carvoeiro are picturesque and the one next to the hotel is no exception. Gorgeous beach and calm water for the time of year!
We stayed bed and breakfast only (to exploit the restaurants in town in the evening!)
Breakfast was fine for us, it was as you would normally expect from a buffet breakfast, It was admittedly the same food out every day, but I am happy with boiled egg on toast so no problems!
Orange juice was pure - even had the bits in - so not sure where some other reviews are coming from :S
All in all great base to explore Carvoeiro and the surrounding areas.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emweth

Thank you for sharing your nice experience with all tripadvisor visitors.
Your very ilustrative review, reflects perfectly the environment that can be found at Carvoeiro.
We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay at Hotel Baía Cristal.
Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 October 2012

It was the first time that we visited Carvoeiro, and we didnt knew anything. Our travel agent suggested Cristal Hotel, and it was perfect.
Of course, it has its ups and downs, but it did our holidays.
Near to the beach and close to Carvoeiro Center, the hotel was really good. The rooms were quite big, and everything very cleaned.
Curtains should be replaced, as well as some paintings in the rooms, but this is only a small detail.
The staff was polite and spoke perfect english.
From the first day, until the last, the only complain was the sauna door didnt close properly. But... it was for free, as well as the turkish bath and jacuzzi.
The bar had live music but the drinks were not very cheap.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
1  Thank Samantha T

Dear Mrs Samantha,
Thank you so much for your review and we are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed the Hotel Baía Cristal.
Your comments are much appreciated and it is always very rewarding to see that our guests want to return back
We all look forward to welcome you back and we promise to solve the problem with the sauna door before...

Reviewed 8 October 2012

My boyfriend and I spent 1 night here after touring the Algarve before driving back to Lisbon. It was so horrible that it turned our great holiday into a bad one.

First off, this hotel is very hard to find. We drove from Lagos and had a hard time getting to Carvoerio and finding the exact location of the hotel. The roads are not well marked. There are few signs for the hotel as well. We kept getting lost and were agitated. Once we checked in, the receptionist was a bit rude. He could tell we were frustrated, and recommended we try to get out of there ASAP. He also kept telling up that it wasn't important we know where breakfast was or any of facilities since we had such a short stay. It was rude.

Our room itself was large, but like the rest of the hotel was very outdated. There was chipped tile on the floor. Old linens and garish and ugly colored wall paper. We were supposed to have an ocean view, but it was obstructed by the boxy construction of the hotel. There were also lots of rust stains in the bathroom near the tub and sink. It just seemed very old and unkempt. The bed was large, but hard and crunchy. Like there was a plastic cover on the mattress. It made noised anytime you moved in the bed. There was also a tiny TV, but it was hard to see from the bed or couch in the room.

The hotel itself is very odd. The walls are bright and painted electric orange and paired with lots of touches from the 70s. Circular chairs, fake plants, etc. But there are also large Greek Goddess statues by the pool. It’s gaudy.

I thought the breakfast was also quite bad. The Algarve is known for its oranges. They had orange juice from a powder. They had instant eggs. It was all canned or from a powder. Nothing was fresh. There were also tons of kids racing around the restaurant. It is not a good hotel for couples.

The beaches nearby looked very pretty, however we were so uncomfortable, we just left before checking them out. I’d recommend staying elsewhere or just going to Lagos instead.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere....
1  Thank Kbadler

We regret to hear your disappointment with your stay at Hotel Baía Cristal.
Our staff are trained and instructed to be fair and courteous to all guests and we regret if a member of our staff has not followed this rule.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

I spent a fortnight at the Baia Crystal with 17 other single travellers from Sept.6th. 2012. If you want a Faulty Towers experience this is the hotel for you. The staff from the manageress to the bar staff were insolent. The hotel is dated and constructed of egg boxes. You can hear every sound from adjacent rooms and those above. The food is mediocre and certainly not worthy of anywhere near 4* rating. The hotel is 1.5 kls from the rather run down town of Carvoiero via several hills on a difficult walking surface Adjacent beaches are small and crowded and have difficult access. The coffee at breakfast was good along with the orange juice after which I struggle to say anything positve.

Room Tip: I doubt there are any
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Alan P
PatriciaCorreia, General Manager at Hotel Baia Cristal, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

Dear Guest:

This review does not correspond to the truth.

Best Regards

Patrícia Correia

Reviewed 25 September 2012

Myself and a friend went with Travel One and had booked and paid for two single rooms. We arrived just before 3pm on 6 th September, 2012 for a two week holiday. On checking in at reception we were told by the receptionist that we had been allocated a suite with two bedrooms and two bathrooms as we were friends. We said Ok, as photos of suites we had seen on their website prior to booking the holiday looked very nice. Unfortunately the suite we where taken to was terrible and nothing like the brochure or website. We refused to accept this room and where told that they had no other rooms as they were full which we could not understand as our booking had been confirmed in May2012. We were told to wait in the bar and after about an hour the receptionist came with two sets of keys and gave one to my friend and one to me. We went to the room allocated to me first. Again it was not suitable as it had a very small 'single' bed in it, which was not suitable for an adult. I again refused it and we went to see the room allocated to my friend. This was a large suite with bedroom and TV a large lounge with TV, cooking facilities, dining table, sofa and a large balcony with a beautiful view. My friend accepted this room but I of course refused to accept the one I had been shown as we had paid the same money and therefore should have had similar rooms. I was shown another room but by this stage I was very tired and frustrated and said I would wait to see the Travel One representative It was now after 5pm and I had to go to my friends room to shower.The Travel One representative phoned me and after I explained the situation she told me there where no other rooms and asked me to go back and look at the rooms I had been shown. I reluctantly agreed and went again to reception. There was a different 'lady' there who launched a verbal attack on me and told me that this was Portugal and I just couldn't demand a particular room. I told her I wasn't demanding anything except a proper bed to sleep in. She continued to be rude and I had to walk away from her as this was in front of other guests. Although she did not introduce herself I believe this person to be the hotel manager, who up until I left did not have the courtesy to apologise to me for her rudeness. She had no people skills, no manners and to speak to a guest in that manner is totally unacceptable. She would do well to remember it is paying guests who keep her in a job. This is just part of our experience in this hotel, quite a few people paid for sea view rooms and didn't get them. I could go on. Due to this experience I will never be back to Portugal and absolutely would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Valerie B

Dear Guest:

Fortunatly, this review does not correspond entirely to the truth. Yes, there has been problems on check-in, as you can remember, not the responsability of the Hotel, has there was three rooms given to you and you could not choose one.
Never then less, I sorry we could not meet your expectations.

Best Regards