“Expected a hidden gem, got a rough pebble”

Restaurante & Bar Japones Osaka
Ranked #195 of 344 Restaurants in Faro
Cuisines: Chinese, Japanese
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Osaka is somewhat hidden away compared to some restaurants in Faro. Whereas some restaurants have seating outside, Osaka has a menu outside and you have to walk down a corridor and into the restaurant. I was expecting a hidden gem at this point. The restaurant being placed in a somewhat unusual spot almost raised my expectations a little bit. I sad down with my partner and was greeted by a lady whom I presumed run the place. Sadly she didn't speak English. Nor did her staff. Ok, no problem. I know some Japanese. Nope, didn't understand that either. It was at this point my partner pointed out that they were Chinese. Ok, so I'm in a Japanese restaurant run by Chinese people who don't speak English! I'm not knocking any points off for this, just trying to illustrate the difficulties I had! Ha! So we resort to what anyone would do in this situation. We point to what we want.

I ordered noodles and the Mrs ordered tempura and some other sushi from the menu. My order came quick. Slightly too quick. I sensed something was off and boy was I right. My "noodles" were actually "spaghetti". In soy sauce. Yes, you read that correctly. I ordered Japanese noodles and they served me spaghetti in soy sauce. My Mrs is Asian and besides that, I've eaten enough rice in my time to know that the rice I was served was reheated. It was hard, lukewarm and tasted as if it was from yesterday's leftovers.

My partner didn't like the Tempura and called the waitress and asked for something else. The waitress seemed to get angry and shouted something - in Portuguese? Chinese? I couldn't tell you.

The only good thing about the meal was my coca cola. I came on Trip Advisor with the intention of giving Osaka 2 stars. But for a "restaurant" to have the audacity to advertise Japanese noodles and serve up Spaghetti in soy sauce is taking the Mick, to put it politely.

I was expecting to find a hidden gem, with Osaka being almost hidden down a corridor off the street, but I found a tough pebble with this one. Avoid like the plague.

Reviewed 30 January 2017 via mobile

Good restaurant with variety of japanese food such as sushi, noodles, meats, fish.I would recommend to add more desserts!

Reviewed 29 January 2017 via mobile

11,90€ for all you can eat from the whole menu. There are lots of non fish options as well.
The food was lovely, the waiters maybe a bit overworked.
But for that price it was absolutely ok.

Reviewed 28 October 2016 via mobile

My friend and i initially found 2 sushi places before we found this one. The problem with the others was that they apparently serve buffé instead of letting you choose what you want from their menu! The staff was friendly and they had amazing sushi for a good price.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

The service was terrible, not nice and not interested in giving a good service or a warm welcome. The food wasn't fresh: the tempura shrimps were cold on the inside, just as the "warm" sushi. I don't recommend this place to anyone.