New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Faro
Salford Priors, United Kingdom
“Very Best welcome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We came to Dom Bernardo by default. Staying on the Island of Armona I broke my ankle, returning there was impossible as I was immobile. Phone calls to two other hotels nearer to Faro airport revealed that they could not offer me any help with a necessary wheelchair. Lisa Canada ,the American born manager of the Dom Bernardo, was kind and practical . We arrived having spent 6 hours in Faro hospital, she warmly welcomed us in, diffusing anxieties and arranged the hire of a wheelchair and even offered to bring in some crutches of her own from home. She lent me a wheeled office chair in the interim and she and her staff were very mindful of our condition during our stay. Its gold dust to find treatment like this from an international chain.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Majen1
Lisa C, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Thanks for the lovely comments! Considering the conditions which sent you to our hotel, you and your husband were such a joy to serve during your stay. We hope that you are getting better and will be able to return under better circumstances!

Lisa V. Canada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
rogers222
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Best Western Hotel in Faro, in Portugal's Algarve region, is not a five-star den of pampering and luxury. It's a simple hotel that does it right, for a fair price. I was there in the off-season and had a pleasant stay.

Plus: Free parking, at least for the first half-dozen cars. Helpful, friendly front-desk staff, Good, clean rooms. Nice breakfast included. Fair price. No hassles at check-in or check-out. A couple of simple restaurants nearby.

Minus: Hotel is several miles from the beach and from the city center, so there's not much to do or see without getting in the car. A yapping dog is locked on a rooftop next to the hotel and barks all night -- it is seriously loud and indefatigable. Faro is an ugly town, though of course that's not the hotel's fault. It's badly laid out, deserted in the winter and overcrowded in the summer.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel is over the traffic, back of the hotel has the yapping dog.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rogers222
Lisa C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words. We are so happy that you were able to appreciate our hotel for what it is, a simple, clean, three star, family run property. Our goal is to provide excellent service and a clean environment! Sorry that you did not care for our city, however rest assured that our local mayor is working feverishly to improve the city and installations. Unfortunately the dog is an on-going work in progress and we have made some progress, but not as quickly as we wish. Thanks again for selecting our property for your get away!
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Just returned from a week in Faro where I stayed at the D.B. I found it a lovely hotel situated ten minute walk from the marina, bus, train station and numerous bars and restaurants. The staff were VERY friendly and helpful and answered all my questions in perfect english!! the room was clean and comfortable, I did hear the much talked about dogs barking one night for a while but I wasn't troubled then or any other night, maybe the wine helped! I took bus trips to Tavira (beautiful) Loule (highly reccmnd) Albufeira (not for me, too touristy) and Quarteira (lovely beach and prom but nothing else) and from behind the old town walls a catamaran left for Isle Deserta (10euro) which has a beautiful beach and is well worth a few hours of your time. most of the bus return trips were between 6 and 9 euro. busses are on time and comfortable. Faro was lovely but VERY quiet as I went out of season. I saw ,heard or did nothing that would make me tell you not to go. I wish I was back there now!!

Room Tip: I had a rear facing room on the first floor so the view wasn't great but otherwise I could'n...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Doolish L
Lisa C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for your kind words and review! We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you return again the future. It is so important to hear what our clients have to say, it really helps us improve our product. We are currently adding energy savers in all guestrooms and completing an overall maintenance program. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future.
Malmo, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2012

Excellent, worth every Eur paid. I did not expect extremely high service, but I was satisfied with almost everything.
Positive: Location, pricing policy, room clearness, overall service
Negative: I'm not native English speaker, but sometimes it was quite annoying that service specialist (room service) can't undersand single word... but that's ok

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ITexperts
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about is on trip advisor. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to serving you again.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2011

having read previous articles by contributors,i can confirm that this fine reasonably priced,well positioned hotel,met all my expectations of a three star hotel.as i walked everywhere during my 6day visit,everything is within a10minute stroll.the hotel staff all spoke perfect english and gave me valuable advice,which i really appreciated.breakfast was fine and the number of eateries nearby meant that the lack of a restaurant within the hotel was unimportant to me.the room was spacious and clean but i could not see any of the dogs that were constantly barking

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank geeteeski
Lisa C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for your fair review. We do our best to provide a comforatable, clean and friendly hotel at fair prices. Our staff truly enjoy meeting our guests and we want you to enjoy our quaint city! The staff from Best Western Hotel Dom Bernardo wish you a happy holiday season and hope to welcome you back in the future.

Lisa V. Canada
Coventry
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

Spent six nights here and found it sufficient for our needs. Location is great, with only a brief walk to the harbour. Car parking is not so good - only five or so spaces, but having said that there is sufficient parking in nearby streets. We chose this hotel based on the (lowish) price so we werent expecting too much, however our experience was far better than we could have expected. Staff were very friendly, especially the check in lady (a home from home almost) and the room was bigger than we had hoped for. We had a room facing the back of the hotel, and whilst the dogs in neighbouring properties were audible they didn't stop us sleeping or cause any issues.

The room was clean and sufficiently well equipped, not seen a 14inch TV for some time, but you don't go on holiday to watch tv anyway. Bathroom was always clean and couldn't fault the room service.

Breakfast was ok, nothing spectacular, but it was sufficient for our needs, and remember this is at the lower end of the pricing scale.

We found it to be a peaceful break and would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Martin N
Lisa C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
Dear Martin, thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. We appreciate your business and hope to weçlcome you again in future. Our goal is to provide a reasonably priced, clean property with excellent service. Thank you again for reviewing us.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2011

I was billed twice due to a failure in the reservation system. The hotel refuses responsability and did not react to my calls or emails. I had to enforce action through best wester. Worst service I have ever seen... The room wad dirty and even after complaining not cleaned well. The air conditioning smelled as if it had never been cleaned. Not sufficient parking space at the hotel. Breakfast is not up to the standard. Hotel location is acceptable. Its better to stay somewhere else...

• Stayed October 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank theinternational85
Lisa C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hotel Dom Bernardo, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
I would like to address your review regarding our property. It is my understanding that you made two reservations to stay at our property, for the same night on two separate sites. Unfortunately we cannot control your online reservations and contracts, therefore have no way of refunding your payment. In regards to your review, it is very unfair and it is certainly not accurate. We have just installed new plasma televisions, electronic locks are currently underway and we have a very extensive housekeeping schedule. If your air conditioner did not work property during your stay and if you have advised the front desk, where I work on a daily basis, please be assured your room would have been changed or we would have had our maintenance department fix the issue. Please consider your comments and try to understand that you booked the reservations and therefore were bound by the contractual terms and agreements on the sites that you selected. Again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay and would be happy to discuss further. Feel free to contact me at the hotel or via e-mail at lisa@hoteldombernardo.com.

Lisa Vieira Canada

Travellers are raving about these Faro hotels