“Fab holiday fab people with stunning horses landscape and riding”
Review of Monte Da Ribeira

Monte Da Ribeira
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Loule
More attraction details
Owner description: Monte Da Ribeira offers riding lessons, hacks, all-inclusive riding holidays, livery and pony club throughout the year. Fantastic hacking in the beautiful countryside near Loulé. Lessons catering from complete beginners to training in jumping and dressage. Happy and healthy horses and ponies in a friendly and confidence inspiring setting. Very reasonable rates and experienced, qualified staff. Great facilities and top quality livery.
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have just returned from the most amazing holiday staying with Katharine and her lovely team of Claire and Natalie.
I was woried about travelling alone and going somewhere that no one I knew had been but as soon as Katharine fetched me from the airport I realised everything was going to be fine.
I got to ride some stunning safe responsive horses and learnt to do spanish walk and passage.
Staying by the stables was lovely and walking through the orange groves to see the horses in their paddocks made me smile every day.
I had some lovely hacks with Natalie and a few great nights out too.
The riding was stunning and I have some videos of me riding in the arena and all you can hear are the birds singing.
Hacking through the river and having nice long rolling canters was soooo lovely.
The lessons from Katharine were really good and I have managed to work on a few of my faults and hopefully continue to improve on this at home with a few minor changes.
Katharine cooked some lovely meals for us and lunch was also lovely every day. As was the smell of the freshly baked bread every day.
I really enjoyed the beach ride it was stunning to be so close to the glorious ocean.
Everyone was so nice and supportive and encouraging.
Life was at a much slower pace than I was used to and I have come home feeling like I have had a month away but could easily of stayed a whole lot longer.
When I spoke to equestrian escapres before booing they said that most people say their only regret is not staying longer and I am soooo glad I stayed a whole week and still wish I could of stayed for longer.
Missing it sooooo much and would love to go back :-)

4  Thank kathyh1978

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Agree with all the positive comments about time spent with Katharine. She looked after me and my adult daughter very well and we had a lovely visit. She spotted our differing abilities and pinpointed how to help us in separate lessons. The hacks were great, varied terrain so different to home, and Katharine regularly checked we were happy with the horses and speed. Not known for my bravery, I had complete confidence in my horse, the saddle was comfy, and we had saddle bags with refreshments on the longest route with lunch in the middle. On a free afternoon Katharine drove us to the beach. We went in September: it was hot (80s), the local river had recently dried up, and the sea was warm.

1  Thank Jane P
Reviewed October 14, 2013

It was a dream come through spending 3 days with Katharine horseriding at Monte da Ribeira near Loule this August. The trails are absolutely beautiful and Katharine takes great care to match her horses with the riders experience. We went on trails through very quiet off road terrain where there was plenty of opportunity to walk, trot, canter and gallop through the hills. Katharine knows the area well and pointed out the carob trees, lemon & lime trees and fig trees on route. On the last evening we took the horses to a local village and stopped for refreshments on the way home! Katharine is a lovely host, very welcoming easy going but every effort is made to make you feel comfortable. This is true of Claire and the staff at the stables also. Excellent care is taken of the horses also. Katharine arranged that we visit a local horse fair and the "white night" festival in nearby Loule. The big question is would I return.... and the answer is most definately yes I would like to return in spring/early summer when the valley is in full bloom.

1  Thank Lily-Anne-E
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Monte da Ribeira offers visitors, of all levels of skill, a very personal and well catered to horse riding experience. I went as part of a group of five young adults and children (aged 21, 20, 19, 13, 9) for a one hour hack through the countryside. Katharine and her team are extremely friendly, professional and will go out of their way to insure everyone is enjoying themselves. Our stay there lasted just under two hours, we first had to get outfitted and met the horses that we would each ride and after a brief introduction in the arena, we were off. We had booked our hack over the phone and were given very succinct and helpful directions to reach Monte da Ribeira. I would personally recommend having a smartphone, or GPS and using the GPS coordinates given on their website for back up: makes the car ride painless and finding it extremely easy. In addition to the directions Katharine told us to wear long pants and bring socks. We were provided with boots and helmets and even sun block, I would definitely suggest bringing your own closed-toe shoes in case the boots don't fit and of course a camera if you want to take pictures. We were given the option of a 8 am, 9 am or 6 pm ride, we decided on the 9 am. Those times are offered specifically so the horses don't struggle and suffer too much in the midday heat, and it offers a more comfortable horse ride for the rider as well. The actual horse riding was truly fantastic, we trekked through the countryside by a creek bed (which had dried up the week before) and saw some gorgeous wildlife and rode past some local farmers. The horses we had were really well behaved and a lot of fun to ride, everyone in our group enjoyed it. All in all, from start to finish the horse riding experience at Monte da Ribeira was nothing short of perfect, and if one thing stood out from all the rest, it was how friendly and welcoming Katharine and her team were. And of course, the horses too!

Highlights
- caters to riders of all experience, or lack thereof
- friendly and well looked after horses
- beautiful countryside location

- camera

2  Thank Joachim M
See more reviews
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Had an amazing holiday with Katharine, her family and Claire. From the moment we were picked up at the airport to the sad second we boarded for home we were completely taken care of. All the things you look for in a riding holiday are there. Katharine and her team are very experienced, and put us at ease straight away. The stables are really well run and the welfare of the horses are the no1 priority in the yard. Which brings me to the horses - just a delight to ride, calm and fun with lots of life - suited to a slightly more nervous rider like me and the more adventurous like my Dad. The location amazing - morning and evening rides through the countryside and rivers of the national park which the borders the stables. I can (and have) unreservedly recommend Katharine and her stables for a hack out, lessons or a longer stay

1  Thank Marcia D