“Fantastic riding holiday”
Review of Monte Da Ribeira

Monte Da Ribeira
Ranked #4 of 12 Tours in Loule
More attraction details
Owner description: Monte Da Ribeira offers riding lessons, hacks, all-inclusive riding holidays, livery and pony club throughout the year. Fantastic hacking in the beautiful countryside near Loulé. Lessons catering from complete beginners to training in jumping and dressage. Happy and healthy horses and ponies in a friendly and confidence inspiring setting. Very reasonable rates and experienced, qualified staff. Great facilities and top quality livery.
Reviewed October 31, 2014 via mobile

My mum and I had a wonderful riding holiday back in June.

Katherine was a fantastic hostess/cook/riding instructor!!

The horses are all great characters. They are all very happy and so well loved and cared for.

My favourite moment was when Lady swam in the river with me on her back!

Highly recommended and we would love to go again!!

1  Thank Emily G

Reviewed August 19, 2014

We have just returned home after having a wonderful time in Portugal. We were keen to find something for our 3 older girls to do and we came across Monte Da Ribeira. We contacted and arranged for a 30 minute hack for the girls (aged7,6,4 yrs) Katherine, Clare and her team were all amazing and the girls immediately were in awe of the place!
They then spent 2 whole days helping out in the stables and playing games, creating wonderful art masterpieces and more riding and showjumping! All girls earning a rosette which they are so proud of. Katherine was a natural with the girls and they learnt a lot about the horses as well. They have not stopped talking about their time spent there.
A truly fantastic place to go to thanks to Katherine and her beautiful horses for giving us all such great memories.

Date of experience: August 2014
1  Thank Alicroll
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I have just returned from the most amazing holiday staying with Katharine and her lovely team of Claire and Natalie.
I was woried about travelling alone and going somewhere that no one I knew had been but as soon as Katharine fetched me from the airport I realised everything was going to be fine.
I got to ride some stunning safe responsive horses and learnt to do spanish walk and passage.
Staying by the stables was lovely and walking through the orange groves to see the horses in their paddocks made me smile every day.
I had some lovely hacks with Natalie and a few great nights out too.
The riding was stunning and I have some videos of me riding in the arena and all you can hear are the birds singing.
Hacking through the river and having nice long rolling canters was soooo lovely.
The lessons from Katharine were really good and I have managed to work on a few of my faults and hopefully continue to improve on this at home with a few minor changes.
Katharine cooked some lovely meals for us and lunch was also lovely every day. As was the smell of the freshly baked bread every day.
I really enjoyed the beach ride it was stunning to be so close to the glorious ocean.
Everyone was so nice and supportive and encouraging.
Life was at a much slower pace than I was used to and I have come home feeling like I have had a month away but could easily of stayed a whole lot longer.
When I spoke to equestrian escapres before booing they said that most people say their only regret is not staying longer and I am soooo glad I stayed a whole week and still wish I could of stayed for longer.
Missing it sooooo much and would love to go back :-)

Date of experience: March 2014
4  Thank kathyh1978
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Agree with all the positive comments about time spent with Katharine. She looked after me and my adult daughter very well and we had a lovely visit. She spotted our differing abilities and pinpointed how to help us in separate lessons. The hacks were great, varied terrain so different to home, and Katharine regularly checked we were happy with the horses and speed. Not known for my bravery, I had complete confidence in my horse, the saddle was comfy, and we had saddle bags with refreshments on the longest route with lunch in the middle. On a free afternoon Katharine drove us to the beach. We went in September: it was hot (80s), the local river had recently dried up, and the sea was warm.

Date of experience: September 2013
1  Thank Jane P
See more reviews
Reviewed October 14, 2013

It was a dream come through spending 3 days with Katharine horseriding at Monte da Ribeira near Loule this August. The trails are absolutely beautiful and Katharine takes great care to match her horses with the riders experience. We went on trails through very quiet off road terrain where there was plenty of opportunity to walk, trot, canter and gallop through the hills. Katharine knows the area well and pointed out the carob trees, lemon & lime trees and fig trees on route. On the last evening we took the horses to a local village and stopped for refreshments on the way home! Katharine is a lovely host, very welcoming easy going but every effort is made to make you feel comfortable. This is true of Claire and the staff at the stables also. Excellent care is taken of the horses also. Katharine arranged that we visit a local horse fair and the "white night" festival in nearby Loule. The big question is would I return.... and the answer is most definately yes I would like to return in spring/early summer when the valley is in full bloom.

Date of experience: August 2013