All reviews sir henry cotton cotton club pro shop mountain view le grill snooker table practice facilities locker room water hazards driving range star resort rooms are small public areas private beach tea and coffee kids club main bar
Reviewed August 9, 2017

We recently celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary in the beautiful Penina hotel . It helped that we are both fanatical golfers . Penina , designed by Henry Cotton , is a fabulous golf course playable by all standards of golfers . I would recommend this beautiful Algarvian oasis to anybody . Treat yourself . Nick

Room Tip: the mountain rooms are more economical and give the same pleasurable experience as the pool view rooms .
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nick O
G R, Guest Relations Manager at Penina Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2017

Dear Guest,

First of all, we take this opportunity to thank you for having chosen Penina for your 35th wedding anniversary commemoration. It is a great honour for us, and we are glad that we have contributed to such a special occasion.

We are extremely happy to read that Penina and the golf course lived up to your expectations, and that you were pleased with the facilities and services provided by our staff.

Thanking you once again, we hope to greet you back soon,

Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Played the oldest course on the Algarve yesterday, got a twilight ticket (after 3pm) and paid just €55 but as I was a solo player I had to stump up the entire €49 for the buggy!

It's a great course: a good length; immaculately presented; plenty of water and mature trees; ball ran true on the largely flat greens even though they were a little slow; at this time and in this month of August the course was deserted. But most of all, it was a FAIR test of golf which I don't think you always get at 'resort' courses: this definitely isn't a resort course it has hosted the Portuguese Open 10 times and hence qualifies to use the name 'Championship' course.

Will be back with a playing partner to share the cost of that buggy.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to read your comments on Tripadvisor, and to learn how much you have enjoyed your golfing experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback, and we hope to have the pleasure to greet you again soon, and your golfing partner.

Reviewed August 4, 2017 via mobile

Our second visit here. The old school decor and ambience was an attraction for us. The restaurant options were all good, tasty and quantity good although it would be nice if they invested in new cutlery and crockery specially at l'arllequine restaurant. The grill restaurant was as spectacular as always. Golf was great, well managed course and practice facilities. Rooms : A point to note was the ventilation in the rooms wherein a pungent sewage smell sometimes made it uncomfortable. Despite numerous complaints they were unable to resolve the issue. The gym has only one treadmill and drinking water facilities are limited to water jugs with some herbal concoction. Great hotel but definitely needs a face-lift and modernization of facilities that are well passed their time.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
G R, Guest Relations Manager at Penina Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2017

Dear Guest,

We have read your review, and we thank you for your return visit. It is a pleasure to read that you appreciate the old school décor and ambiance, also mentioned by many other guests as part of Penina´s character.

Thank you for your nice comments on the Golf Facilities, and good restaurant options, with special mention to Le Grill, which you have considered spectacular as always.

We also appreciated that you have shared with us the details that were not to your satisfaction, and we regret the inconveniences due to the smell you have experienced on some occasions in the room, reported to the technical department for intervention.

We had the commemoration of Penina` s Golden anniversary in 2016. The Hotel was renovated and refurbished on various occasions, and offers all the modern facilities such as the flat screen TV, electronic Minibar, complimentary tea and coffee facilities for the comfort of our guests. It is a continuous process of investment and modernization, nevertheless keeping the hotel´s traditional character.

Looking forward to welcoming you again soon,

Reviewed August 4, 2017

Stayed here for a week, early July, in standard twin B&B, booked several months ago via Expedia. This was my 6th stay since 1998 but I hadn’t been since 2012. I understand since my last visit, the hotel has new owners and I’m unsure if the management were new too but I recognised several staff. I have to say that whilst I generally enjoyed my holiday, there were several aspects, that when added together, showed a distinct lack of focus on client satisfaction/experience which would make me think twice about returning.

What I liked in general - yes, the rooms were small but well equipped and cleaned in a timely fashion, replete with hairdryer, tea/coffee, toiletries, plenty of towels etc and all that you would expect in this standard of hotel. Storage was limited though. Other reviewers have spoken of turn down service/chocolate and water daily. We received neither. In a twin room, one usually finds a lamp table separating the beds, here they were pushed together. Communal areas were stylish, comfortable and clean. Breakfast was first class in every aspect, although my teenage daughter lamented the lack of hash browns and smoked salmon, which had been enjoyed on previous visits. I’m not a golfer, nor have children under 12, so cannot comment on the course or kids club. I never utilised the free shuttle/private beach/Dunas facilities, as was staying at a different hotel for the second week, so cannot comment on those facilities either on this visit. The grounds were lovely, the pool huge, plenty of umbrellas/sunbeds available at all times and quite importantly, a considerate and friendly clientele who adhered to normal behavioural standards (no yelling, no tattoos!) and dressed stylishly/appropriately in all environs.

Generally, the staff too were considerate and friendly but I got the impression that they felt their jobs were 'on the line' and perhaps they didn’t concur with new owner/management initiatives/changes?

What I want to offer in this review is constructive criticism of the things that I didn’t like and were disappointed in: Check in was slow and laborious with no offer of refreshment. The main restaurant (Sagres) had a Dolce Vita themed buffet night but we found it bland, unappetising, with a dull ambience. At eu32/each, it could be considered a tad expensive (eu25 fairer). I know they do a 'meal deal’ - but in buying 5 dinners, I think the saving was a mere eu10 overall….. The night we dined, there were about 10 other residents dining, so it was clearly not popular or working - the pricing/offerings. Ten diners in a room fit for 200 was not ideal. By the way, what Italian themed buffet evening has no gelato for dessert? Our 3 meals in the italian a la carte (L’Arlecchnio) restaurant were hit and miss with regard to quality and quantity. My scallop linguine had 4 scallops one evening and 6 another and tasted quite different the second time. Another evening my starter consisted of 4 pieces of calamari, the next 7 and at eu10 a pop, I thought expensive, especially when compared to a main of prawn risotto (eu13). One evening this was fabulous, the next swimming in about an inch of oil. We complained and were offered a complimentary dessert. On two evenings, we were forced to have an early dinner (6pm) as the outdoor Henry Cotton cafe closed at 7pm. We wanted something to eat that was 'lighter' and this was our only option after 6pm. We ordered Chicken Caesar salad both nights - on one, the lettuce was brown and gungey, the chicken dry/hard and served without bread, the other night it was delicious and came with bread and olives.

Why does the Cotton cafe close so early at 7pm? When you factor in the italian opening only 4 nights/week, your only meal options were the formal Grill restaurant or the buffet. Both expensive with menus not really offering a 'lighter bite’ alternative. Of course, your other option was hole up in your room and order room service or a cab ride to Alvor’s restaurants (eu12/one way). Also bizarre was why could I get a half price beer at Happy Hour in the main bar but not in the bar where I was having my salad next door, about 3 metres away? Why offer a Happy Hour in the only bar that has virtually no outdoor seating - ok maybe for 6/7 guests? Do your guests really want to sit inside for a sundowner betwixt 5-7pm? Most people I know want to sit outside either in sun/shade, but that option wasn’t available at the end of the day. The Cotton club needs to stay open later - I think 9pm would be ideal. And more outdoor seating provided off the main bar. As a point of reference, a pint of beer was eu5, bottles wine eu 22+ and gin/tonic eu9.50. And whilst I think drinks costs wouldn't have made clients lose any sleep, I heard more than one comment about the costs and no one likes to feel they’re being ‘ripped off’.

The pool suffered with lots of insects floating on the surface throughout the whole week, so cleaning was not sufficient nor regular enough. Also, why was there no poolside service during this visit?

Entertainment was what you would expect to find, I imagine, in an old people’s home. An Elvis impersonator lambasted the audience (of around 10 - I think those ‘in the know’ had scarped into town) to 'clap and join in’. I don't think the hotel has that type of clientele and some looked uncomfortable. The singer/guitarist was quite nice in that it was more uptodate and background in style. There was a lovely grand piano but no one played during the week we were there, which was a shame. I forgot my goggles on this hols and hoped the small shop would stock some but no, purely golfing stuff. I think that should be reviewed - a provision of sun cream, swimwear, small selection of sweets etc would not go amiss and is standard in all hotels I’ve stayed in.

I thought it outrageous that the hotel wanted to charge eu26 per hour to play tennis on their courts. Never, ever, have I been charged to play tennis at a hotel - merely asked to leave a refundable deposit for a key. Also, completely unacceptable was a gym with no water facility in it. Not only unacceptable but potentially dangerous. I complained about this and jugs of water/plastic cups were provided and they did leave a bottle in my room each morning for this purpose when I complained the jugs were empty. Their claim that too many residents had ‘abused’ the facility by filling up their water bottles for the rest of the day goes no way to excuse that example of poor management. When you begrudge providing water at the most basic level, I’m afraid that shows a very sorry state of affairs.

With the improvements above and an continued programme of renovation, this Hotel has the potential to ‘have it all’ for a very enjoyable holiday. If the Penina continues to rest on its laurels as it has many repeat customers, like me, they will find their repeat customers, like me, will not accept rising prices and falling standards/quality/service and go elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank hailmaxi

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write your detailed review, further to your stay early July and for letting us know how you feel. On a positive note you have mentioned that this was your 6th stay, you have generally enjoyed your experience and the Hotel has the potential to “have it all” for a very enjoyable holiday. We can assure you that our standards of service and our commitment towards the guests have not changed recently, indeed we have even improved and enhanced the facilities in the rooms, such as the coffee machines and the variety of activities and themed evenings at the Restaurants and Bars.

Your constructive criticism are most valuable, those were shared with our team and actions were taken to avoid future occurrences. We can and would be delighted to add some of your suggestions on your profile as a preference, reason why we will be sending you a private message to reconfirm your profile details.

We take our guest´s observations as opportunities for improvement and we sincerely hope that you will give us another chance to greet you at our Resort and meet your expectations.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed August 1, 2017 via mobile

Classy. Old school and that's not necessarily something wrong. It depends what you want. It's better for families and more conservative persons,still we enjoyed a lot the golf course, that's very good.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
G R, Guest Relations Manager at Penina Hotel & Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2017

Dear Guest,

We are very pleased to learn how much you have enjoyed your stay and golfing experience.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback on our resort facilities, and we hope to have the pleasure to greet you again soon.

Kind regards,