All reviews the cliff chinese food swimming pool on the rocks whale watching hotel restaurant pico island steak separate buildings this wonderful hotel definitely recommend this place direct access to the sea shrimp asian style local dishes bread beautiful location
Reviewed September 25, 2018

stayed for 3 night in August, very humid but coped. Our bathroom was huge walkk in shower.
Yes could maybe do with little modernising but it was so peaceful. The grounds were fabulous. The sea terrace was lovely to sit and enjoy a bottle of wine. The sea swimming was great. if you have any issues walking its not for you.
The pool was green when we stayed so didn't use but didn't miss it as the sea was so good.
Ate in the restaurant every night - the food is great - especially enjoyed the seafood skewer.
Would go back for sure.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Aldeiadafonte, Gestor de Relações Públicas at Aldeia da Fonte Nature Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2018

Hello hawkeye92,
Thank you for your feedback and comments about our resort. Yes unfortunately, we did have a small problem with the pool that was hard to fix in the month of August, unfortunately on the days you booked with us :(

We hope to see you again soon sometime in the near future!

Best Regards

Reviewed September 24, 2018

We did not stay in the resort, but we did eat at the restaurant. I had never been, so my husband suggested we try it.I definitely enjoyed it. I had a steak and it was cooked perfect for me. It was definitely an enjoyable meal and time spent on the property. We enjoyed it so much we came back a few days later for the Chinese food.

I love Chinese food and we had not had it in a while. We noticed that they served Chinese food on Sunday. I was not sure at first, but again my husband said it was good. Let me tell you, it was the best! I know Chinese food in the Azores, but it was hands down the best I have had. Goes to show you you don't know until you try it.

One day we would like to come back and stay.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Hello Silvar123,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and comments! I will make sure it gets back to the restaurant staff.

Hope to see you again sometime in the near future!

Best regards

Reviewed September 5, 2018

Having read the recent reviews (after we'd booked), I was a bit concerned about staying here. But it's nowhere near as bad as some reviews suggest. Yes, it is a bit humid (I'd use that rather than damp), so our clothes did feel a bit moist at times - but other than install air conditioning which I think would be contrary to the eco approach, I'm not sure the rooms could be bone dry. The climate is very humid, it rains a good deal and with the ever present mozzies, it's difficult to leave windows wide open (not that the windows opened more than 8").
It's definitely not a resort for people with reduced mobility, there are uneven steps everywhere and the trek to the pool or to get into the sea would ruin a pair of Havaianas.
The breakfast was fine, nothing special, but typical of Portuguese hotels. We ate in the hotel restaurant once which was a mixed experience - it was my birthday and my daughter had phoned the hotel ahead to pay for some wine/food. It was when they brought out the dessert, that the waitress explained the candle on the pudding and said my daughter had contacted them. But it was very low key. Minutes later, there was obviously a birthday on another table, and there was singing and much more fuss made. Now, I'm not stamping my foot and wailing for more attention, but it did feel a bit of a theme....we felt a bit like 2nd class guests. All the staff were polite and efficient (by island standards), but that's where it ended. There wasn't any warmth or a feeling of wanting to ensure that we enjoyed our stay there. It would have been nicer to have had a room with a terrace, but that's not the hotel's fault, that was the company we booked with who didn't offer any choice of room.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay, but if I returned to Faial, I'd stay in Lajes do Pico where it felt friendlier and more welcoming.
Just to add that the pool was a lovely blue, very clean and a lovely quiet spot to relax. I also loved the nighttime listening to the shearwaters' odd calls and watching the bats flying between the buildings.

Room tip: Book a room with a terrace
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Aldeiadafonte, Gestor de Relações Públicas at Aldeia da Fonte Nature Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2018

Hello Robson63,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our hotel. I have past on the information with the birthday situation to alert the staff of the hotel, we would like all of our guests to feel the same way!

Reviewed September 3, 2018

back again to this rustic 25 yr old resort , ecological place, Contrary to some reviews here I like the place as is although air con could be advantageous in summer and winter.. A bit more care with maintenance of the rooms should occur (rusty bathtub is easily solved) and the little electric car for the cleaners should be used to transport the luggage always a problem for aged people with walking limitations as ourselves. Nevertheless I will continue to come and stay here whenever I can... Staff is always top notch, reception front desk always kind (thanks Paulo 5 star memory and attention to detail), attentive and gentle, the staff in the dining room was discrete yet quick to know (all 6 or 7 of them that my nespresso coffee is shorter than a Ristretto and always acknowledged it, any time of the day...) learned that, unfortunately some of them are college graduates that could not find jobs and earn some money in summer...food is still quite good, steak was yummy on every 5 dinners I had there..tried them all, my son enjoyed Chinese food and my wife adamant on fish every night..no complaints on the food. Wish I could have stayed there the whole year, and that is the best way to describe my 3rd or 4th experience there...

Room tip: so far I've stayed in 3 different types and all were good
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2018

Similar to the other reviews, I agree this hotel could be wonderful with a few updates. The grounds are beautiful and some of the amenities (platforms by the water) are fantastic, but the hotel is in serious need of remodel.

The lobby and dining room areas are dated, and the rooms themselves are quite musty/damp. The furniture was old and felt moist when you sat on it (though I didn't try to sit on the chairs in the room based on how they looked).

The pool was drained when we arrived, which was a disappointment considering it was July and often times people book summer hotels so that they can use the pools... the hotel did not provide this information beforehand so that was a huge disappointment when we arrived.

If Management would put some effort into upgrades, this hotel could be a true 4 or 5 star resort in my opinion, but when we went it just felt like a motel with a nice view.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Aldeiadafonte, Gestor de Relações Públicas at Aldeia da Fonte Nature Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2018

Hello Nicole R.

With the due respect it feels that your comments were more of an inspection rather than a travel and staying impression. And that is reinforced by the fact that you never felt necessary or appropriate to contact our front office or even the management so we could address your complaints. And obviously we are not going to challenge matters of taste and concept. We pride ourselves on our concept of ecological and rustic decor as we have even won awards for the matter.

Thank you.