“Quiet part of the city”

Turim Alameda Hotel
Ranked #173 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 22 October 2017

This is probably not a very convenient part of the city for anyone who plans to stroll to the sights. When I was there, two busloads of tourists were staying there, so if you are that sort of tourist, location doesn't matter so much. However, it took me a good 40 minutes at a fast clip to get into what are considered the more interesting central parts of the city. That doesn't mean that everything in between is lacking in interest, but it is interesting in terms of observing the workings of the city rather than in terms of seeing monuments, views and attractions. The hotel itself was comfortable without being luxurious, although I could not get the wifi to work on my computer either in the room or the lobby, and it only worked fitfully on my ipad. This was a major problem for me as I had counted on doing some work, and was unable to. Breakfast was all right in the continental style, albeit with the usual minimal to zero attention given to vegetarians in Portugal. The reception staff were very nice and efficient, also a characteristic of Portugal.

Room Tip: The quieter rooms are at the back.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 October 2017

My experience with this hotal was dismal to say the least. Never in my life have I been ignored to this extend. I had been inquiring an issue of mine several times. Yet never recieved any satisfactory reply nor result. It was basically like I was ignored throughout. I dont know what else really to say.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 September 2017

This was our sixth stay at this hotel in six consecutive years for our annual trips to Portugal. Even with an entire new management team and front-line staff, this excellent operation is definitely improving over time and continues to be an excellent choice for tourists in Lisbon.

All hotel staff members must be commended for being extremely client-friendly, accessible at all hours, and always willing to assist tourists with tips and advice about traversing the city. This is a group of high quality, multi-lingual individuals who have never disappointed us in six years. Especially worthy of commendation are Paulo Silva (Hotel Director) and Sonia Ribeiro (Duty Manager); Daniel do Carmo and Ricardo Santos (Night Auditors); Jorge Grilo (Assistant Duty Manager); and Patrícia Costa (Receptionist). In my opinion, this current team is of the best we have seen at this hotel over the years.

I will reiterate a critical point I have made in earlier reviews for previous years about the location of this hotel. Despite some first impressions by some reviewers, the hotel’s location near the Instituto Superior Técnico (a major European university of engineering) is safer than many other parts of the city. I refer specifically to the high level of neighborhood security, but also to the availability of various shops, pubs, restaurants, takeaways, and numerous “multi-bancos” (i.e., ATM machines) all located within reasonable walking distance from the hotel.

The university neighborhood in which the hotel is located continues to be a safe and clean part of Lisbon, close to the lovely area called “Saldanha.” Taking a taxi or simply walking to catch the metro in order to visit central parts of Lisbon is an easy task. Ordering a taxi at the front desk for us has always been an efficient and inexpensive solution, with an average wait time of less than 5 minutes!

In short, what we have encountered during all of our stays at Hotel Turim Alameda are the following characteristics of a high-performance operation:

•Immaculate rooms with all amenities expected (including a strong Wi-Fi connection inside the rooms)

•A daily continental breakfast of consistent quality.

•An on-call taxi service, with an average arrival time of 5 minutes or less from when the front desk summons a cab.

•Pharmacies, shops, taverns, grocery markets, office supply stores, restaurants, ATM machines, and a post office within 1.5 to 2 kilometers in the nearby university neighborhood.

In our experience, this has always been an outstanding, cost-effective four-star hotel. It always seems to run like clockwork, even when the hotel is fully booked! Again, this is a credit to the entire team of employees who work as hard as any hotel staff I have ever encountered.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DaRocha1104
Reviewed 27 September 2017

the room was small and ensuite even smaller. The windows had a translucent coating. Everything worked ,shower, fridge ,wi fi in lobby, and staff helpful
Buffet breakfast ok, plenty of choice.
Location for us not good, not much choice of good restaurants locally and the metro was a good 10 mins walk away,not too bad going downhill, but after a hard day sightseeing around the hills of Lisbon it was quite a drag.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We arrived at this hotel on a Saturday for one night before heading to the airport to depart. Arrived at about 1200 to a fairly unhappy front desk staff - I'm not entirely sure why she was so unhappy, but it didn't create a good impression. We managed to leave our bags behind reception and went out for lunch. Note that this hotel is in the university / business district, so there's not much in the way of restaurants open at the weekend!

We returned at 1400 to check in. The rooms we were given were OK. They were clean, but the wooden floors and carpets were definitely showing signs of age and in need of replacement.

We then returned later in the evening, and ordered a taxi for 0500 the next day to take us to the airport. Heading for an early night, we discovered that the air conditioning in *both* of our rooms was really noisy, and we had to turn it off in order to get some sleep.

The only saving grace was that the reception staff at 0500 was very pleasant and polite - just a pity this wasn't true of the other staff we encountered!

I won't go back, and would avoid due to the staff, the lack of (useful) air conditioning, and the fact that there is almost nothing open in the area at the weekend. I'm not sure what gives the hotel 4 stars, but I didn't see it.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 September 2017

The location was ok, a bit interior I would say, had to walk a bit in order to reach main areas for city tour buses or fine restaurants. Parking outside on the street is allowed only for max 4 hrs (between 0900 to 1900 hrs). Underground parking EUR 15 per day, limited slots, probably 3-4 at -1 & 4 at -2 floor. Breakfast had limited options though enough for people with a sweet tooth. Someone probably a bit confused with the name of the hotel as I saw at reception the screen showing name as TVRIM (see pic) ! Overall an OK stay.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2017

I really do not understand how this is qualified as a 4 star hotel. The A/C wasn't working, the wifi wasn't working and the staff isn't that approchable upfront. When you come in the hotel there's someone that comes from the back office to see who came in and doesn't say anything except a great deal of staring. You basically feel like you bother them. The breakfast was good but then again not 4 star worth. It's not a hotel that you're that happy being in... small rooms with indeed a view but a weird big window that opens up which makes it quite awkward. We were on the 6th floor. The girls working in the breakfast area are really nice but the ones in front.. good luck to even get a smile out of them. It's a 10 minute walk to Alameda metro station and then a 15 minutes metro ride. The hotel is situated in a random street so the neighbourhood isn't nice necessarily. The radio wasn't working in the room, no alarm, it's a really small television. For the price, you could get way better and even closer to downtown or even the beautiful Eduardo VII parc. Please consider going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Too expensive for what it is
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple