“Excellent !”

Ranked #2 of 434 Speciality Lodging in Lisbon
Besancon, France
“Excellent !”
Reviewed 25 December 2011

I spent a few day at home lisbon over christmas and really enjoyed it !
The ++++
- The staff is absolutely adorable from the giorls at the reception to the manager and the cleaning ladies, everybody is really nice and understanding rying to make your stay the bext.
- They offer a laundry service !!! That in itself is a HUGE bonus ! You give your clothes before midnight and they are washed and dry by 8:00 am the next day ! When you travel long term that is really a wonderful bonus.
- The whole place is really cosy and there is details that make the difference to make you feel confy and at home, ex: bed lights, tv with movies, really cosy living room, 2pc s available, tea and coffee during the day and good breakfast included in the price...
- They offer a dinner service, you pay an extra 6 or 8 euros and have a typical portuguese dinner cooked by the hostal mama :)
- there is a tiny/cosy outside area for smoker and/or nice days.
- It s really central

I strongly recomend this place, after trying several hostals in lisbon this one really is one of the best :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Justine G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Literally feel like home here. The place is set up perfectly for every one at the hostel to bond. And the staff is absolutely incredible. Andre runs an amazing hostel and Luis, Diana, and Adrienne are all the absolute best. Every one is just down to kick it and hang out and really get to know each other. Not to mention, all the amenities are great (beds, bathrooms, showers, kitchen, lounge area)! I would recommend this to any family member or friend and plan to stay again here when I get back :)

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
New Forest, UK
Reviewed 2 December 2011

I am a seasoned traveller! In my 30's and it is hard to get rave reviews from me, because I have been to a lot of places and travelled extensively. For me to even bother taking time to write a good report for a hostel means it must be excellent.

A massive heads up to the this hostel..it is the fantastic staff that make it that you notice first.

I arrived from Madeira,flew to Lisbon and was meant to be going on to Faro. There was a train strike. My plans were all changed in a few minutes and I ended up at Home hostel days early.

I walked in off the street, tired, frustrated, and obviously not in the best of moods at having my travel plans ripped apart by strike action on the railways.

I wont mention any particular names(in case any of the other staff think they were not as good) because all of the staff were brilliant in their own way.

But the lady at the desk was fantastic. Totally welcoming. Understanding. Helpful. The Portuguese are like this anyway as a national trait (from what I have experienced), but this girl and the hostel were particularly outstanding.
The staff even took time to help me with some Portuguese words I was trying to get my head around. They must find it boring with lots of people doing that (but it didn't show, they took time to help me).

Then you notice the *brilliant* front room. Writing desk, coffee tables, sofas, bean bags. Just the right feel. I even managed to spent hours channel hopping on the tv, watching whatever I wanted (many language channels available).

How the staff kept positive and welcoming chat up for the four days running that I was in the Home hostel, and to the other customers...I do not know. I would have found it very hard to do. The friendly check in desk wasn't just a ploy to get me in and take my cash!

So the staff are one of the biggest assets to this hostel. The bed was comfortable. The hostel provides (for free) a lockable locker with a padlock (some hostels charge or don't have this).

The *free* laundary service was amazing. Put your clothes in the basket by midnight, and by 8am (ready way before I think)...there was all your washing, washed and dried. The perfect feature in a hostel for real travellers with few clothes because of budget airlines "carry on" luggage only travelling. I flew in after a motorbiking trip around Madeira, and had run out of clean clothes. Just what I needed.

Free breakfast was brilliant. Set me up for the day, well and good to do my walking tours and museum visits. (incidentally Lisbon has some of the best art museums in the world).

The hostel also booked in me to my next hostel in Porto when I left, for free, and also giving me a discount on the next hostel.

So the plus points......nearly everything. The staff, the front room, the laundary, the lockers, the beds with individual reading lights.

The bad points? Cant really think of any. I do naturally wake early and sleep lightly, so I was awoken early by whomever cleaned the hostel early in the morning. But then the hostel was kept spotless, and he or she was probably doing all of my washing to get it ready for me first thing.

It was so good I even persuaded a group of other travellers I met afterwards to change their plans and go there.

And to hear a real band playing some "Mumford and Sons" tracks in the front room one night was fantastic.

Summary....*fantastic* hostel and staff. One of the best in the world.
Mike
(unconnected in anyway with this or any other hostel. This is a completely independent write up)

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Mike F
Siena, Italy
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Great hostel! Friendly staff, great location in downtown baixa, lisbon. I was fortunate to go on a free walking tour with Jose which was quite epic to say the least. He talked about the nuances of Lisbon and presented the typical montonous historical perspectives of the city in a fun and interactive manner. The free laundry service, included breakfast, spacious rooms, free wifi internet, and great all around service makes me say this has been one of the best hostels I have stayed at yet!

Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joshua M
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The staff are friendly, calm and helpful.
They give a tangible 'at home' feel to the place.
They work hard to make sure it is clean and tidy.
The room was light, clean and airy. it was not too noisy.
It was easy to relax here.
There's alot of extra things that you can get free, like tours, socialising, internet.
There are many nice touches that you just would not expect to see at that price.
I would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Tom P
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I've been to several hostels in Lisbon since I need to visit it regularly and Home is definitely the best hostel I've stayed at so far! Its just very cosy and friendly, one definitely feels like being home with friends.

Its also very centrally located so what more can you ask?

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Manolopinto
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Do:
Definitely go out with the staff.
Go for the staff recommendations on bars and restaurants.

Don't:
Make sure not to make any noise when you get in late as some maybe a sleep.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business