“Charming hotel in an excellent location”

Hotel Avenida Palace
Ranked #6 of 255 Hotels in Lisbon
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I usually go for smaller chic boutique hotels but managed to get the Hotel Avenida Palace as part of a good deal online so I thought I would experiment. It was a good decision as it turned out to be a very charming and convenient hotel. We emailed beforehand requesting a king size bed and a street view and we were granted our wish. I always think it is worth doing this as it doesn't cost you anything and may just put you higher on that list of potential upgrades. Our room was spacious and had decent storage space. The bathroom was fine and there was an impressive array of toiletries provided. I would have preferred a shower enclosure unit rather than the bathtub/shower arrangement that it was. I must commend the housekeeping - the room was always cleaned on time and I love it when a hotel does a proper turn-down service with a good general tidy up and replenishment of toiletries and towels. The small chocolates were a nice touch too. Breakfast was very good - a diverse array of foods for anyone and everyone really. The salmon, cheeses and fruits were particularly noteworthy, as were the delicious crepes.

The location was a huge advantage to this hotel. You are in between two key Metro stations and there is an overground train station next door where you can get the train to Sintra. You are on the doorstep of Rossio square and the Figuera Square which have cafes, restaurants and a market for fresh fruit and vegetables. The Tram 15 to Belem leaves from Figuera Square. And finally it is only a 10 minute walk to Rua Augusta and Baixa Chiado and a straight 15 minute walk to Praca do Comercio and the river front.

The only downside to the hotel was the staff really. Don't get me wrong, they were nice enough but they lacked the natural charm and charisma that I would expect of this hotel. I must point out that Pedro, the front of house manager was the exception to this and was genuinely very pleasant. The others however, including the Breakfast staff, wouldn't proactively greet us or ask us how we were or offer any travel tips and my request for a slightly later check-out was dismissed before I had even finished asking for it, even despite notifying them in advance that I would be needing one and knowing that the hotel was not full. It's the little things that matter to me. I realise for some, maybe even most, these things are small and irrelevant which is fair enough. I however prefer to have a bit more out of the people who work at the hotel and that is where my 5th star is won or lost. Otherwise, quite the majestic hotel in a super location.

Room Tip: Ask for street view and a king size bed
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying at the Avenida Palace and for leaving your kind feedback on TripAdvisor. I was thrilled to know that you were pleased with your decision to stay with us.

Allow me also to thank you also on behalf of our housekeeping on your commendations. I will not fail to convey your words to the team.

However, I was concerned to read your remarks about our staff. As we strive hard to provide great Guest service, we are disappointed when we fail to do so. In all our departments, our Team pledges to provide the best personal services to each of our Guests. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

With a prime location in the very heart of the city, the Avenida Palace, with more than a century of history, is a symbol of the city.

I hope to have the honor of welcoming you back at the Avenida Palace in a not too distant future.

Pedro Miguel Costa

Write a ReviewReviews (2,899)

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Hotel was centrally located and staff was very welcoming, helpful, and gracious. Offered suggestions to make our brief visit memorable. Accomodations were perfect, especially after a day of delayed flights and missed connections. Amenities, which greeted us in the room, included washed, fresh fruits and chocolates on the pillow! We had a Jr. suite, which included a separate room for our young adult son, who was traveling with us. Breakfast was great.

Only negative was the concierge arranged a private city tour for us, but the guide was really only a high priced driver. Dropped us off in several areas and waited in car. Not at all informative

Room Tip: Find out more about tour guide, before committing. Good advice in general
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Avenida Palace during your brief visit to Lisbon and for taking the time to post your kind words on TripAdvisor.

We are pleased to read that your one night stay with us was wonderful and thank you for your comments on our location, breakfast, and on our staff, who you found very welcoming, helpful and gracious. I will pass on your comments to the entire team.

It would be a great honor to welcome you back to the Avenida Palace in a future and these time longer stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Spent a fantastic weekend in a Beautiful Hotel with old world charm,where the staff were lovely and extremely helpful. Our room was a standard twin on the fourth floor, which was very spacious with probably the most comfortable bed in the world.... and what can i say about the Breakfast.. ''unreal''...

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the excellent rating on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to know that we met, if not exceeded, your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing a comfortable stay for all our guests and thank you for your recognition.

I am also happy to know how much you enjoyed our buffet breakfast.

Please do come and visit us again soon. Meanwhile, you may follow the Avenida Palace on Instagram and see the nice pictures of our daily activities.

My best regards,

Reviewed 6 August 2017

This is a nice hotel, but starting to get dated. We were upgraded to a bigger room, and my daughter had her own bedroom. The bathroom was functional, but small. The front desk staff was very nice. Our breakfast was included, and it was quite good. Location is very good, and we walked everywhere.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank canuck64
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review of your stay at the Avenida Palace. It was a pleasure to read your words our location and our breakfast buffet.

Thank you also for your remarks about our front desk staff. I will share your kind words with all.

It will be an immense pleasure to welcome you back at the Avenida Palace, on your next visit to Lisbon.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

The hotel is perfectly located in Lisbon city center with man attractions well in walking range. Despite the central location, at least our room was very quiet. There was parking outside the hotel, the staff was very friendly, the breakfast was great. We enjoyed an excellent stay.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
PedroMCosta, Front Office Manager at Hotel Avenida Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Avenida Palace and for having taken the time and trouble to leave your remarks on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed an excellent stay with us and that one of the highlights was our location.

Your enthusiasm for our Hotel is very much appreciated and so, I hope to have the honor of welcoming you back at the Avenida Palace, in a not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 2 August 2017

The hotel had old world charm with all the conveniences of a newer hotel - including a gym. By booking through their website, we were upgraded upon arrival to a suite - which was an added advantage. The staff were very helpful and when you call for something someone is there in a flash (and normally it's a 20 minute wait in US hotels). I would highly recommend; and we stayed elsewhere in Lisbon, which was also lovely, but would stay here again in a flash.

My high commendations to Pedro and his team!

Stayed: July 2017

Dear Guest,

Allow me to thank you for your rewarding comments about your stay at the Avenida Palace. I am delighted to know how much you enjoyed your experience with us.

I also want to thank you for referring the benefits for booking directly through the Hotel website, which are listed in it as “Direct Booking Benefits”.

It will be a pleasure to share your comments with all our team here and I look forward to welcoming you on your next visit.

My best regards,

Reviewed 1 August 2017

A beautiful old world hotel in the centre of the Chiado district. Spacious, clean rooms, lovely, gracious staff, nice welcoming touches. Decor is traditional in good condition. Delicious, generous breakfast was included in the cost of our room. Very good value in comparison to hotel prices in North America. Easy walking access to dining, metro, train station to Sintra, sights of Lisbon. I will mention the staff again, they were wonderful, totally focused on guest service without being overbearing about it

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the excellent rating on TripAdvisor and for writing such a kind review. As our team pledges to provide the best personal service to each of our guests, we were thrilled to read your feedback about our service.

It is our goal to provide properly maintained facilities and the luxurious sophistication of its décor make this Hotel a landmark at the intersection of tradition and innovation. We are very pleased when such efforts are recognized.

We cannot wait for the opportunity of welcoming you back, on your next visit to Lisbon.

Kind regards,