1,169 results
All reviews honesty bar third floor top floor ancient art honor bar lovely library de arte honor system library room terrace overlooking the river complimentary port wine charming hotel until noon where breakfast is served tagus river public rooms small hotel
Reviewed November 4, 2018

Due to many positive reviews we used this hotel for our Sept '18 trip to a v hot Lisbon. All the comments were justified. I have sleep issues and the hotel made every effort prior to our stay to listen & help choose an appropriate room location. Even when it took me a while to finally have a good night's sleep the wonderful coffee machine (capsules up to strength 12!!) came to my rescue and the breakfast was delicious - a little touch of paradise every morning. We appreciated the guests' kitchen, 24/7 hot drinks & biscuits & LOVED the views from the roof terrace towards the suspension bridge & Cristo Rei in one direction & the port & passing of many boats, ferries & ships in the other. The moon, & airplanes flying, were enjoyed nightly too (but be aware the flight path changes, & some planes pass overhead after midnight.)

I have to say I'd not have enjoyed being nearer the extraordinarily loud water fountain in the ground floor inner courtyard that resonated to the top floor. Every time I exited our room I wondered who'd left the bath running & all the doors open nearby before I remembered the source of this noise. As no one else has mentioned it I must be the exception.

The bus, a few metres away, goes towards the station (great day trip to Cascais) & main Commercial Square, ending at the square next to Rossio, in one direction & to Belem in the other, so very convenient. We only walked on the very uneven cobbled/stone set sloping pavements towards town on the first day, in great heat. I'd not recommend it to older guests - with regret as a once strider & stoller through cities.

The free to hotel guests museum to one side is well worth a visit. The cafe serves wholesome food, the the garden in the back is a delightful Eden (with lizards galore if you move quietly & keep your eyes open).

There are at least 4 eateries a few steps from the hotel, 3 in the vicinity of the square to the left of the door (with the red phone box) of which we tried two: Rest. Raizes (good 'clean' food, service by a solicitous owner) & Dionysos (Greek for a change run by a 'real character' who speaks at least 4 languages). If you prefer to pause for lunch during your days out, the hotel will provide toasties & sandwiches to your room or the garden in the evening but a word of warning, do not leave it too late to order, especially on a Sunday night as even hugely obliging staff can't magic fresh bread if it's run out!!

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2018

Delightful boutique hotel in old Lisbon - full of character. Handy for Cascais train, tram and bus but easy to walk to the town centre. Super breakfast; tea, coffee and pasteis de nata available round the clock Very friendly and helpful staff

Room tip: 2nd floor overlooking the Bay
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2018

We stayed a few days here and although it's an older style hotel with basic bedroom/bathroom, it is very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was lovely and it was wonderful to go back tired from a day full of walking to the quiet library and enjoy a drink/coffee in comfort. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable. Happy to recommend this hidden gem to anyone.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2018

A lovely hotel, especially pleasing was the library area with comfy chairs. The ability to make hot drinks in the kitchen was a bonus.Staff were really helpful and couldn't do enough, all with good humour.

Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed October 24, 2018

When I started my search for a place to stay in Lisbon I read many positive comments on Tripadvisor about Janelas Verdes and all are true. We arrived early from the airport and we were immediately escorted to our room well before check in time. We were very happy with the room size and cleanliness. The staff are all friendly, welcoming and very informative. Although a walk to the main attractions, Janelas Verdes is the place you want to return to when you are tired from the day. It is quiet retreat and has a relaxing library with a porch overlooking the river. I enjoyed breakfast out in the garden and the honesty bar was convenient. I would recommend Janelas Verdes as a great place to stay and would surely stay again if I return to Lisbon.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple