All reviews billiard table common areas bunk beds free walking roof terrace common room ham included breakfast rooms are spacious min walk visit lisbon excellent location dorm nightlife cafes
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Well located but beware it's up a hill (there are quite few of those in Lisbon), this hostel is discretely tucked away on a quiet back street that's deceptively close to some of the city's busy attractions for both night and day.

The hostel itself fills a whole building over several floors, with a garden, roof terrace, kitchen, pool table, free Wi-Fi (varying signal strength), several free to use internet enabled Apple Macs, and a lift. The rooms are a fair size, although there was perhaps one to many beds in the dorm I stayed in which meant if any one opened the door too wide it bumped against the side of the bed, which would wake anyone attempting to sleep there. With toilets and showers on each floor, it was well kept, tidy and convenient.

The staff were all friendly, speaking a range of languages and all had at least a little English. Quality of the advice about how to get around varied but the main team were very helpful and welcoming.

This hostel provided much better facilities and hospitality than I'd expected, and I'd be happy to go back there again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here for one weekend only, but have to say i couldn‘t think of anything to improve. The staff is honestly concerned that your stay will be as good as possible. they offer entertainment and guidance but don‘t push or urge you to participate. the rooms are excellent and clean and the terrace is just offers the most amazing view. Thank you from a fully satisfied guest. i hope i will return.
ben

Room Tip: riverview rooms are nice but not necessary since there is the terrace
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a wonderful place to stay. The people are friendly and accommodating, the rooms are clean, and there is quite a bit of space. It felt like a hotel, and it's where I plan to go on my next trip to Lisboa.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Me and my friends really loved the hostel!! our time was really awesome! we enjoyed the friendlyness of the staff, the nice furniture and common rooms, the garden and of course the terrace with the marvellous view!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for three nights, June 18, 19, 20, 2012. I (23, female) stayed with my sister, 17, and I found there was a wide range of ages at the hostel (I think I saw a father/daughter in her teens, and we had a roommate who was at least 35). Everyone was friendly, but it was very VERY quiet when we went - only about 20 people, and their occupancy maxes at 120 people.

GETTING THERE
We took an airplane to Lisbon from London, therefore we came from the airport. We took the aerobus (3.50 eur each way) to and from the hostel; from what I understand, it runs from 7AM every 20 minutes, and you can catch it to the left of Cais de Sodre (down the street towards the water - about a 5 minute walk, tops). I've heard taxis are cheap in Lisbon, but my group was small (myself and my sister) and we didn't mind the bus at all.

LOCATION
The hostel is not in the most touristy part of town - it is close to Cais de Sodre, which is the train station. If you're coming from the hostel, facing the train station...the neighbourhod to the right on the main street is a bit sketchy and I would not suggest going that direction if you're looking for food/souvenirs - rather go up Alecrim, so take a left UP the hill, and go towards the tourist strip (Commericial district, I think). Overall however, I think it's in a prime location because it is so near to the touristy areas (less than a 20 minute walk to Alfama, close to an area to catch the tram to Belem, RIGHT near the water) and yet is on a fairly quiet street.

THE HOSTEL IN GENERAL
The hostel itself was clean and spaceous. It has many floors, but there is an elevator available, and I think three out of the four floors have rooms. The hostel had beautiful and unique character - high ceilings, and new (IKEA) finishes throughout. There were large windows in each room, which were enough to cool us off, but there was A/C available.
I felt the hostel was perfectly organized and unique in a really good way (interesting lamps, bulletin boards with tips/local stuff, well laid out common areas, snack bar, pop machine, etc); I don't think I could have imagined a better hostel!

KITCHEN & COMMON AREAS
Kitchen is spectacular - you could have a cooking party in here with at least a dozen people, and have more than enough space. The appliances are all new, and well kept. No one messed with the amazing caramels we brought from Paris and left in the fridge. Again, high ceilings, a very unique and lovely bright kitchen (glass covered kitchen tables with interesting things underneath and mismatched cool chairs).
The hostel has a rooftop bar (amazing - you can eat breakfast out there as well, as it's on the same floor as the kitchen) and also a nice garden area with hammocks, etc.

BREAKFAST
Breakfast was pretty amazing for a hostel. It was served 7h30-10h30 and consisted of: a cheese and meat platter (one type of each), jugs of orange juice and milk, a few kinds of cereal in dispensers (corn flakes, etc), a few types of bread (sliced, buns) and butter, nutella, etc. We only had it once (we were busy/slept in) but we saw staff coming in to refill things constantly.

ROOM
I describe the room in detail where tripadvisor asks for tips; it was very clean, and simple - but had new bunks (I assume from IKEA) and individual reading lights for each bed. The lockers were HUGE - the biggest I've seen in a hostel, and you do not need a padlock, they provide you with a key. Lighting is sometimes a bit dim in the rooms - it's not a fixture but above the crown moulding on the ceiling, so the reading lights help.

BATHROOM
I really liked the bathrooms - they were clean and there was always hot water. Pressure in the showers was mediocre, but the showers were N. American style - in the sense that the showers were fixed on the wall. I didn't find they smelled, as other reviewers have noted.

STAFF
Superb. SO helpful, and perfect English! I was very unsure of how to get around Lisbon, and they always had answers and tips. They remembered us as we went in and out (not just because of the bracelets). Staff were always offering to make reservations, call cabs, etc (not pushy - only when we inquired about things) and I found them very genuine.

PRICE
I found the hostel was fairly priced, considering how amazing it was!

EXTRAS
The hostel offers an AMAZING 3 course dinner with 3 drinks, for 10 eur; however, because there were few people in the hostel while we were staying, the dinners did not have enough sign-ups (min. of 8 people needed) and we could not eat them :( the menus looked very impressive though, and I'd definitely try it out of I was given the opportunity.
There were daily walking tours run by the hostel - I did not go on the tour, but someone we met in the hostel did, and she reported it was almost 4 hours long - good value for a free walking tour! There were also pub crawls organized by the hostel as well.
We took a tour with Inside Lisbon (the Sintra/Cascais tour) and I highly recommend them. The guide was amazing, and the groups are 8 people maximum, so you really learn a lot and don't feel like a sheep being shuttled around from place to place. I think it was 45eur each for the full-day tour, which I felt was fair. I've been on tours I hated before, and almost didn't take this tour because of my previous experience with organized tours - this was not one of them!

OVERALL
This place is absolute perfection. I agree with reviews that say it's even more beautiful than the pictures show, and I would not hesitate to stay here again and will be very eagerly suggesting this hostel to anyone I know who is consdering visiting Lisbon.

If you have any questions - because I myself had trouble planning my time out in Lisbon, do not hestiate to message me :)

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing the street. It was an 8 person room; however, it was divided into 2 rooms by a partition, and I would definitely stay in the 8 bed again - there was a ton of space. I would possibly choose a room facing the water though :) instead of the street - there is quite a bit of noise coming from the street at night, and the view from the hostel (especially higher up) is so spectacular, of the water, it would be worth it to get a premium view room..and I'm usually a cheap-o!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank kaitlyn_montgomery