New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade
Ranked #37 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Antwerp, Belgium
“Good overall stay but missing the details sometimes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

At first hand I did not choose for the Sofitel as it could not accommodate two adults and one child when I tries to book online. I so looked further and saw they have extra beds for children up to 12 years old. I so called the hotel and asked them if it was possible to put the extra bed in our room for a child older than 12 years. I talked with Mr. Karim on the phone, he told me all reservation officers were in a meeting but he told me it was no problem for the extra bed and that I just can book a normal room and put in comments that we need an extra bed.

One day before I tried to email the reservation department but without any reply. One day after my call, after I booked I got an email back saying that they do not allow an extra bed in the room and that we need two rooms and they would do their best to reserve two rooms next to each other.

I was quite furious as one day before Mr. Karim told me it was no problem so I replied on that email and told them Mr. Karim accepted it. I got immediately a reply saying that because he told us it was no problem, they would make an exception for us.

A few weeks later we arrived by plane in Lisbon. From the airport we took a taxi but it took over one hour as there was a protest march going on on Liberdade street. There were queues everywhere but we finally managed to get at the Sofitel.

Around 16.00 we checked in at the hotel with Mr. Karim, he was extremely friendly and helpful too. He told us all we need to know about the hotel, internet, breakfast and then he switched to concierge mode and told us what we could do in Lisbon ! A fantastic staff member, I have to admit !

As Gold member we were upgraded from a Superior room to a Luxury room on the eighth floor. We had room 801 which was the first room in the corridor. The room looked very nice but unfortunately no view at all. We had a view on Liberdade street but because the hotel is doing some restoration works there were some sails and ladders in front of the hotel so no view at all.

The room had on the left side a bathroom with bath, sink and toilet and Hermes toiletries. Then in the way to the bedroom was a closet with safe and furthermore the bedroom was the big and very comfortable King bed, extra bed, desk, TV and a table with a lounge chair. There were two welcome dishes and a small bottle of Porto. The welcome snack was excellent and culinary, not an ordinary fruit basket. There were also three bottles of water and a newspaper. A nice Bose with iPod dock was placed under the TV. Although the TV was acting strangely and started itself sometimes during the day.

There was free wireless internet in the hotel and in t eh room but the signal in the room was very, very weak and every time we had to login again which was a kind of irritant.

The location of the hotel could not have been better. Right in the city center in the middle of Ave. Liberdade and within minutes from the major squares and in front of a metro station.

That evening we wanted to have diner in the hotel’s restaurant but we were a bit disappointed by the menu : meat, fish and one risotto. So we opted for the bar where they had pastas, salads, meat and other food. We ordered a sirloin steak, a salad nicose and a pasta with pine nuts and tomatoes.

It was very busy in the bar so Mr. Karim helped the only bar tender, Mr. Jose out and ordered our meals and drinks. The sirloin steak was good but the salad was small but creative but my pasta did not have pine nuts or tomatoes in it, it was a dry pasta with a little bit of pesto sauce on it. I was a kind of disappointed as it still is 16-19 euro per dish.

We did not have breakfast in the hotel but we had a coffee at Starbucks, just five minutes walking from the hotel. When we left the hotel we had a look at the restaurant and it was busy but all empty tables were still full of dirty plates and empty glasses so maybe good we did not have breakfast.

Next day we checked out with Ms. Melissa who was friendly and asked for a taxi to the Oriente station. Unfortunately it took a while before a taxi came but I had to flag it down myself as the bellboy went inside. The taxi ride was around 20 minutes.

After two nights in Porto, which was a great city; we went back to Lisbon for our last night in Portugal. We checked in with Ms. Claudia who was friendly but not very friendly like Mr. Karim. She asked our credit card, id cards and we had even to sign an online printed unofficial authorization for a payment of one month ago which was already debited from my credit card weeks ago. We missed Mr. Karim on this because when we have had him at this check in he only needed one id card and not even the credit card because it was in the system already …

When we stood at the reception, without my notice, our bags were disappeared. I so asked Ms. Claudia where they have gone and she told me the bell boy took them. We did not need it because our luggage was light and had four wheels on it. I really couldn’t believe it as the bellboy wanted a big tip off course but I hate it when somebody does it behind my back and without asking.

We had room 701 this time, also a Luxury room but one floor lower. But there were some things that bothered me. There were not enough towels, only one bathrobe and only one small bottle of water even though there was an extra bed, they did not give towels for the third person. This time although, there were three welcome dishes and a newspaper. What was weird to me is that we receive only one newspaper on the day of arrival but no new one the next day or the day afterwards. This stay we also got a printed voucher for a welcome drink in the bar and a letter of guest relations. I went to Ms. Elisabetta for a late check out at 13.30 and it was no problem but she forgot to reactivate the keys.

It was late already so we had a sleep until the next day at exactly 10.00 we were woken up by jackhammer somewhere. It was really annoying and woke us all up.

We went afterwards downstairs for the concierge but unfortunately there was no concierge so we asked someone of the reception for directions but he did not know much so not really helpful. When I asked him a good restaurant for lunch he asked some colleagues and gave me a business card of a restaurant where they send everyone to but he did not know if it was good.

We did not have much time for lunch actually do we had lunch at the bar again but this time we all took the sirloin steak which was excellent and the welcome drink, which was a glass of wine. Mr. Edgar of the bar was very friendly.

I later asked to Ms. Melissa for stamps but they did not have them but they can post them for us. Stamps are normally 0.68 euros but the hotel charges 25% more for stamps. It is normally a service the hotel offers but they want to make money with it.

We later checked out whit Mr. Ricardo who was very helpful and friendly and took a taxi to the airport and left Portugal for home.

Overall a good stay but something’s just weren’t good enough for a five star hotel !

Room Tip: Luxury rooms are bigger and can accommodate an extra bed
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Max W
AFERREIRA, General Manager at Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking your time to notify us of your experience and for your preference in Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade.

We give a lot of value to our customer’s opinions as we are constantly striving to achieve maximum satisfaction during your stay whilst keeping in mind that our aim is to surpass your expectations.

Firstly, we are delighted to hear your kind words towards our ambassadors in the Front Desk, Guest Relations and the Bar. Your words are truly motivating and compensate our endeavor to offer a unique luxurious experience to each and every guest.

We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed all the services and amenities provided in the Luxury room as well as the welcome gifts provided during both stays. Nevertheless, we apologise for not taking particular notice to the number of towels and bathrobes available for all three people during your second stay and the jackhammer noise which we were not control.

Regarding to the works on our façade, we would like to inform you that we are in process of installing an anti-seismic system in order to increase the wellbeing of our customers and visitors, whose welfare is our highest priority and reason to continue the tradition of demand, innovation and art of receiving, which characterize this Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade.

We understand that we have not met all your expectations but are pleased to know that your overall stay was genuinely positive and we look forward to have the pleasure of welcoming you once again to Sofitel Lisbon Liberdade in the near future.

Yours sincerely,
António Ferreira de Sousa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

The Sofitel Liberdade is a very good hotel that can be recommended for more than a touch of luxury, clean and pretty rooms, very good location close to the old part of Lisbon, and a very welcoming staff that will do all they can to assist you. It also has a good restaurant (AdLib), and free Internet. It might just be the place where I will stay on my next visit, too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dartmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Great prices can often mean poor service, dull interiors but youmgrin and bear it be ause of the price. Not at the Sofitel! This is a classy operation in a convenient area. Although the rooms are 'city small' , they are nicely furnished and leaning towards edgy with lots of black and splashes of red. We were given a room at the rear which looked out onto a road junction and I was worried about noise, especially with cars rolling over cobbled roads. However, it proved to be strangely silent, apart from a one- off early morning bin collection. It certainly wasn't sound- proofed but on the day we stayed, we had no problems. Although there was no view, the street was disguised by a gauze blind which worked well at day and at night.
The public rooms are gorgeous- an eclectic mix of modern/Oriental Chinoiserie. The sort of lobby where you need to just stop and look around at all the details because they create such a great look - and you can - because there are complimentary fruit based waters for you to dispense in the daytime.
The jewel in the crown is the staff. Friendly and helpful, they all went the extra mile to help. The Concierge were especially thoughtful and just genuinely NICE. We travel a lot and we were deeply impressed by their attitude.
Only word of warning about Lisbon itself - make sure you do not get ripped off. In the space of a couple of hours, we paid over the top for a taxi because we were too distracted to check the fare BEFORE the journey and the lunch time cafe tried to rip us off when giving us change. Just be very aware.
Back to Sofitel Lisbon - a great, great deal. The ethos of staff attitude is amazing.

Room Tip: The rooms loverlooking the 'courtyard' should be extremely quiet as it is simply an internal...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2012

One night stay in the Sofitel and I was impressed. The rooms were comfortable but I would say not as opulent as you would expect. I struggled to make the TV work for example but these were minor issues that didn't distract from the fact that it was a lovely hotel in a prime location in a lovely city. The restaurant looked fantastic although I didn't go and the bar was run by the most knowledgeable barman i've yet met. Serenity was a given and the staff were hospitable but not intrusive, just as it should be. The toiletries made by L'Occitane de Provence was a nice touch and the bed was lovely.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
London, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

We only stayed for one night but quite enjoyed the Sofitel in Lisbon. The location is perfect on the Avenida Liberdade so within walking distance of the old district. The Sheraton and The Ritz are further up so we were quite happy with the Sofitel's closer location. If you also want to take the tube, it is literally opposite the hotel's entrance. But taxis in Lisbon are quite cheap and efficient.
The front desk is friendly and helpful but allow yourself a bit of time. The rooms are well designed, clean and spacious enough. The bathroom is perfect and like the rooms they look quite new and in perfect condition. The bed was extremely comfortable. I cannot comment on the breakfast as we had an early plane to catch.
The front facade is undergoing restoration works but it didn't disturb our stay whatsoever.
I would definitely go back and it is perfect if you are looking for a hassle free short stay.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

When we first got to Lisbon, we stayed at the Novotel, another Accor Hotel. The location left something to be desired, so after we returned from Sintra, we stayed at the Sofitel. This is a great hotel, with fine service, and a sterling location, near many restaurants and main squares of Lisbon. Although the room is not huge (so few hotels in Europe are), it is certainly adequate, with all modern conveniences and an international selection of stations on the flat-screen TV.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple