“Great last minute find - very central and inexpensive”
Review of Hotel Nacional

Hotel Nacional
Ranked #169 of 248 Hotels in Lisbon
Seattle, Washington
“Great last minute find - very central and inexpensive”
Reviewed 12 January 2011

We drove into Lisbon late at night and couldn't find a hotel with rooms available within our budget. We stumbled onto this hotel in the business district that was very close to the center. There was one last room left which was a top floor suite but it was given to us for the standard room rate of about 75 euro per night. In addition they offered us free parking which saved us even more money. The garage was very narrow but the hotel employee carefully guided us down helping negotiate the turns.

Room decor was a little strange, and I would say dated, but our suite was clean, had a fridge and the internet connection was working. Breakfast was included and was pretty standard with meats cheeses and eggs.

The hotel was a couple minutes walk from a subway station Marquês de Pombal which is a couple of stops away from the center unless you want to walk. There are a couple of restaurants around but we didn't find anything great. The first night we arrived pretty late and it was a challenge to find a place to eat that was open past midnight. We were directed to a McDonalds that was a few kilometers a way so we started walking in that direction. Lucky for us, right next to it we found a neat late night restaurant called "Galeto" . It looked like a bar or saloon but was very fun and the food was amazing.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlikK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
São Paulo
Reviewed 1 November 2010

The hotel is very well located. Near Marques de Pombal and Av. Liberdade.
It is possible to reach Rossio, Baixa and Chiado in 15/20 minutes walking through the streets...
And besides this, it is silent and calm at night...
The hotel has to change the furniture. It is old fashioned and the carpet is worn and old.
The front desk is nice and helpfull.
The breakfast is good.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Umnome
St.-Julien-de-Crempse, France
Reviewed 19 May 2010

The hotel is in an excellent location with easy access to public transport. The hotel was clean, rooms spacious (by European standards), and the staff friendly and helpful. There is some traffic noise at night but it was not too disturbing. I was able to sleep without a problem.
Breakfast consisted of cold cereals, yogurt, cakes, bread, cheese, cold cuts, orange juice (I think this was fresh), and coffee, tea, and hot chocolate.
When I travel I use the hotel for sleeping only and this hotel was great for my purposes (i.e. I do not need gyms, bars etc, I get my exercise and entertainment elsewhere). I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MHM88
Poznan
Reviewed 19 December 2009

The good: This is a no-nonsense, relatively cheap hotel in a business district. Close enough to the centre (3 mins from the Marquês de Pombal metro station, also convenient for the airport -- 9 EUR by taxi, convenient for Avenida da Liberdade). Some (but not so many) restaurants and cafes in the vicinity. Everything worked as advertised. The room was spacious, the bed comfortable (but on the hardish side). High speed wired Internet access in the room -- don't forget your Ethernet cable. Decent continental breakfast (maybe the coffee could have been better). Overall, for the price I got, I was completely satisfied.

The not-so-good: The decor is definietely early 1990s, and it hasn't aged too well. While everything worked fine and was clean, an update would be welcome. Even though the room was on the 9th floor, with an open window, there was some noise from an aircon system (?) below. As the aircon in the room itself was a bit noisy, too, sleeping could be difficult if you needed it on (I didn't, so no problem for me). The only real annoyance was the fixed shower head in the bathroom.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank wjarek
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Stayed here overnight while en route by train from Engand to the Algarve. I was surprised by all the comments on the decor - who cares when you have a convenient safe location, comfortable rooms with efficient air-con and excellent showers, pleasant staff very happy to carry suitcases up to the rooms, and a comfortable lounge bar for a nightcap. The breakfast wasn't the best I'd every had but paying 75 euros for three people in one room I certainly wasn't complaining and would stay here again. Best of all was that we were able to check in and shower at 1130 am after a night on the sleeper train.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank RossLeeds
Cork Ireland
Reviewed 7 June 2009

had read the mixed reviews for this hotel and didnt quite know what to expect but as we were only staying 2 nights decided to take a chance. We were very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. On arrival someone came straight out to the taxi to take our bags. Lobby is small but very clean not a bad first impression. The room was basic and pretty standard in size but had television, air conditioning, safe which did not cost extra. The bathroom had all the complimentary toiletries and everything was spotlessly clean. When we requested another pillow it was delivered within 5 minutes. Breakfast was continental but with plenty choice. The room was cleaned again the second day and clean bed spreads as well as sheets were supplied. The staff were terrific they couldnt be more pleasant or helpful. The hotel is very central and very little noise. Certainly would stay again

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank ormac
Chicago
Reviewed 17 October 2007

I booked this property through HotelsPortugal.com for 3 nights. It was actually an alternate to another (fully booked) 3-star I preferred on Avenida da Liberdade. Hotel Nacional was in the general area I wanted and the price was right so I went for it. Overall, it was ok. The location is definitely where it gets high marks - seemed safe at night, easy walking distance to Baixa, Bairro Alto, Edward VII Park, 2 Metro stops and most of the stuff I was interested in seeing. For fans of BCBG Max Azria, there is a store right across the street. The hotel's decor definitely needs to be updated - my first thought was that I'd stepped into the cover art for Duran Duran's "Rio." Lots of black, red and mirrors. Pretty dreary when you're returning to the hotel at night. The biggest disappointment was the bed, which my fiancé took to calling a "table." Very, very hard. Unfortunately, after a day's worth of walking up and down Lisbon's famous hills, this bed offered no comfort. Breakfast was pretty basic and typical of Europe, though the coffee was shockingly bad. If what you're looking for is clean, basic and in a good location, this hotel is a decent choice. Though it wouldn't be my first choice, I'd be alright staying there if I find myself in Lisbon again and unable to afford a higher class of hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bed - aka "The Table"
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple