All reviews great location a family run hotel within walking distance restauradores metro perfect english quiet street clean rooms hotel is located central lisbon public transportation pastries avenida portugal
Reviewed April 4, 2018

After recent renovations, it's probably the best place you can get for such price - immaculately clean, modernized, with soundproof windows and the best beds you can get. Cosy reception area and breakfast room, breakfast itself is getting better and better (now with hot options - more than enough, fresh strawberries made my day). Friendly, professional owners with perfect English. White, crisp towels and bedsheets. Location - perfect, but that's obvious. The only problem I always have here are noisy neighbours - with soundproof doors the rooms would be even better :) (Oh, and the showerheads - would prefer steel, not plastic :P

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
3  Thank MilkaJankowska
Reviewed September 6, 2017 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel in August 2017 for 3 weeks. I have only fond memories of this hotel. The location is excellent, close to Rossio and Restauradores metro station. Also it is less than the trendy Principe Real, where I studied Portuguese and enjoyed the nightlife.
All of the staff when beyond their way to be kind and helpful to me. Especially the brothers and other members on reception. They gave me expert advice on where to go and where to avoid. My room was on the second floor and was cleaned every day. The room had everything I needed and was kept very clean. The breakfast was delicious dinner kept me going throughout each day. I want to thank the staff for looking after my friends and family. Their hospitality was second to none. I'm very much looking forward to staying here again. A convenient location at a very reasonable price. But the family's kind hospitality is the main reason I will be making a repeat visit next year. Thank you so much for an unforgettable experience!
Até breve!
Beijinhos! Christopher Hartridge and family

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2017

The Hotel Portuense is in a great location so for the price is a great find. It was however not as comfortable as I would have liked. The pillows were terrible and the bed rock hard. The shower had absolutely no pressure. The room was air conditioned however it may have simply been circulating in room air as all or our luggage/clothes ended up damp. Toiletries are not provided - may have had a tiny bar of soap.
The breakfast was very basic - European - coldcuts, pastries, powdered juice, coffee. But was nice to have.
The hotel is very clean and has a lift to the rooms. The owners, family run, are very friendly.
So if comfort is not an issue, for the price/location this is a good option.
I would not stay again due to lack of comfort however would recommend it with that explanation.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2017

This was my first time in Lisbon (and Portugal for that matter) so I was concerned about my evening arrival and check in. However, as soon as my Uber pulled into the front of the hotel at about 10:00 in the evening, the hotel staff appeared at the entrance and was very welcoming. Check in was a breeze and the room was more than what I expected.

The first thing I notice in any hotel room I enter is the window. Does it have enough of a view of the outside so I can quickly glance at what the weather is doing before I head out for the day? My room had a large "balcony area" that was fully enclosed and had large windows that opened. Not much of a view overlooking a back alley and some old buildings some of which were under renovation. But I was quite content. The room itself and the bathroom were clean, and the bed comfortable. There was also enough shelf space to hold my personal items after unpacking. Overall service was great. The larger daytime staff were always eager to help and had the answers to most, if not all, of my questions. In my experience, the daytime staff spoke more English.

I did say great location. Although the hotel itself was in a quiet block of the Portas de Santo Antao street, the next block and beyond had a great collection of cafes and restaurants for all tastes and budgets. More importantly, public transportation (i.e., bus and subway) was a short walk away on the beautiful Restauradores Square. Many of the attractions and interesting neighborhoods in Lisbon's city center were also within walking distance. I was all set. Lisbon has a great public transport system.

On the slight downside, my room did not have enough electrical outlets and the ones that were there were not really convenient for charging one's personal electronics. Also, the hotel didn't seem to have a noise policy, or did not implement it effectively. Floors were hardwood so late-nighter guests generated a lot of noise into the wee hours as they stomped up the wooden stairs and across the floors. Some of them even slammed close the heavy wooden doors and would even yell in hallways.

All in all, I did enjoy my stay at the Portuense. When I checked out, the front desk clerk told me about plans of closing the hotel for renovations. I didn't understand when that was going to happen but I would stay there again. By the way, the included breakfast was satisfying. I miss the Portuguese rolls.

Room tip: Laundry service was reasonable compared to other hotels I've stayed in. They charge by the bag...a large plastic bag that you fill.
Date of stay: April 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank REA_WDC-USA
Reviewed April 15, 2017

I would stay here again no problems - location good and staff friendly and clean hotel.
There are construction works behind the hotel but really it is not a problem. We are not heavy sleepers but it was no issue. The staff are very helpful and there was luggage storage on last day which was great.
The rooms are really basic but very adequate - lots of hot water in the shower and air con in room. Cleaned daily.
Wifi is very good with no problems.
location is great - only a short walk from Rossio or Restauradores Metro stations. Lots of good restaurants near by too.
Total price was around 80 euro per night for a double room.

Small thing is that the only electrical plug we could find apart from one in the bathroom was on top of wardrobe and tv needed to be unplugged to charge our phones etc. Breakfast adequate but basic. Cheese, Bread and egg with tea coffee and fruit. A few slices of ham etc would have been a nice addition!

I would have no problem staying here again and will be recommending it.

Date of stay: April 2017