“Happy end”

Alojamento Local Santo Tirso
Ranked #214 of 274 Lisbon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 October 2016

It is very hard to write a review for this hotel. Actually it is more look like a hostel. We were a couple and stayed 4 nights in mid September there. When we entered for first time we were very disappointed but at the end we left happy!.

Pros:
- The location could not be better. It in Rossio that is a heart of old Lisbon
- The room was clean and was made up every day.
- The price was more economical compare to other options in that time
- The shower was small but good

Cons:
- There is no elevator. There are 57 steps to reach the reception. More if your room is on upstairs.
- There is no Air-condition. We did not need it in cool mid September anyway.
- There is no Safe in the room.
- There is no fridge.
- There no food available inside.
- There is no potable water in room. You can fill up your bottle in reception area.
- Wi-Fi coverage may not work well in some areas of the facility, i.e. I had to stand close to the room door to have Wi-Fi coverage.

Cons became longer than pros! But as I said at the end we left happy. The owners/managers speak poor English. Do not expect a normal hotel. There is no big sign so you may not find it that easy.Just a small door that lead you to shabby corridor. Then you have to take your luggage for at least 57 steps up to reach the reception. Do not expect a reception desk of a normal hotel. As I stated it is more like "room rental" than a hotel.

We were shocked somehow at first and decided to change. But we stayed and left happy. Reasons:

- We saved some money.
- It was clean.
- It was perfectly located.

We did not required more than these three important positive points.

I guess most of the rooms have shared bath room but we booked quadruple room with Private Bathroom.

There is a restaurant in front of this hotel which has nice food. Actually the hotel entrance is behind the table of this restaurant which are set out in pavement.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank northernlights2016

Reviewed 23 August 2016

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 25 July 2016

My fault to book this hotel in a rush, since I checked serval links, this one was on the top when I sort out the hotels by 'distance', so I booked without checking the reviews. First, it was very difficult to find the hotel, a hidden entry next to a busy restaurant. Then you need to carry your luggages to climb 4-5 floors. There is no air condition, nor fan in the room, imagine 35 degree...I stayed 4 nights, except making the bed and changing the towels, no body came to clean the floor. No shampoo. Wifi is very weak in the room. During the night, cars, people shouting... non-stop noice. The only positive thing I could find was the locaiton, center of Rossio, easy access to blue and green metro, train 15E and lots of bus stops, as well as restaurants. Try to avoid it if you travel with the old or family.

Room Tip: If you have enough budget, try to avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Jiayi W
Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

As said in the title the "hotel" is in a very good position but everything else is poor not well looked after and unclean. Is good for a night or two if you just want a place where to sleep for a cheap price

Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2016

When booking this I already knew that this is not the most luxurious hostel and that it will be very simple. Which for a short city trip is all you need. Getting there, I couldn't believe what I saw and smelled.
They smoke inside the reception area, it stunk extremely like old smoke! Also there's always that slight smoky breeze coming in the room (we had room 49) from reception.

The room we booked had a private bathroom. This was a joke! Please see pictures for that. We ended up using the shared bathroom.

Also see the picture of the 'view' from my bed which was a ceiling full of mould.

I can deal with a simple accommodation but not with anything that is bad for my health or dirty!

It was also freezing cold, but we got a heater from reception

At least the location was amazing!

Don't book this accommodation. There is other places just as central and better, I'm sure!

Room Tip: Room 49 doesn't get the wifi signal. And I wouldn't recommend any room in this hostel
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2015 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and apart from the location(overlooking the main Rossio square) everything else was very poor quality. They say that rooms have private bathrooms but it is actually improvised toilet in the room separated with some plastic kind of wall. So small and dirty. No elevator(3+ stort building) , very old, definitely would not stay here again. Lisbon is charming and everybody should enjoy nice accommodation as well.

Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2015

I enjoyed my stay at Santa Tirso, which is well located for sightseeing Lisbon, with the Metro Green line just across the Rossio. The only drawback for my arthritic knee was climbing up and down the three long flights of stairs. The folks are friendly and the room was clean and quite adequate. The cafe at the street level serves good food too.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo