“A Piece of Paradise on Earth” 5 of 5 bubbles

Private Monuments Tour in Sintra from Lisbon
Ranked #1 of 67 things to do in Sintra
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Classified as World Heritage by UNESCO and built at the turn of the 20th century, this romantic architectural complex is comprised of a Palace, a Chapel, and gardens with grottos.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase
Lead, South Dakota
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“A Piece of Paradise on Earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

In early April of this year I went with a friend of mine from Lisbon to nearby Sintra and we visited the Quinta da Regaleira. Although both of us had been to Sintra before, we had never visited this particular site, and we were both astounded by it beauty. We were greeted with beautiful flowers and shrubs and trees, seemingly never-ending pathways and stairways leading through rocks and greenery and a myriad of fountains and ornate pools. There were also wonderful stone towers to explore with beautiful views from the tops of each, all providing their own fantastic photo opportunity. We entered one small path to see what was referred to as the Initiation Well, and we were both astounded by what we encountered - an incredibly cool subterrannean tower sunk about 100 feet into the ground, complete with winding stone steps that took us to the bottom. The site also includes some larger buildings, all beautifully done, including a chapel, a coach house and the main house.
The two of us spent 2 1/2 hours exploring this fantasy creation and probably only saw 2/3 of it. I can honestly say it was one of the most beautiful locations I have ever seen in my travels.
The entire Sintra area is a must-see for any traveler with its high castle, the Pena Palace and the wonderful town, but the Quinta da Regaleira even tops those in my opinion. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun exploring in such a beautiful location. Don't miss it! I know that if it is possible, I will be going back some day!

Visited April 2012

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“magic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

i had seen a foto of this place and i knew i would'nt leave Portugal without going there.So we booked a trip to Sintra but it included visits to Monserate Palace and Pena Palace.(Both amazing palaces ), so i showed the picture to our guide and she told me that the well of iniciation was in Quinta da Regaleira.. I missed lunch that day to find it!!Totally worth it!!the gardens are full of streams and lakes and labyrinths (some of them are underground- spooky) and the well seems like it belongs to a different age.
PURE MAGIC

Visited June 2011
Vancouver, Canada
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Don't miss Quinta da Regaleira”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I have been to Sintra before (many years ago) but this was my first visit to Quinta da Regaleira. It is absolutely GREAT.

Visited April 2012
Lisbon, Portugal
148 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 201 helpful votes
“Stunning and Magic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

If you're going to visit Sintra, you can't miss Quinta da Regaleira. It's really beautiful, magic, mystic, full of symbolism, with great and enormous gardens and... I'm sure that you'll be amazed and will love Quinta da Regaleira.

Visited March 2012
Brasilia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Really worth a guided visit... mysticism of yonder time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Sintra itself is worth a visit... but within Sintra this is one of my favorite places if not the most. Not only are the gardens and building really a sight... but you get a lot of quirky mysticism of the past. With tunnels, towers and an initiation well. Lots of symbolism everywhere.

Take the guided tour which is only a bit more but worth it for more explanations. Takes around 1 - 1.5 hours. Easy 8 min walk from the centre.

Visited August 2011