“Very Disappointed ”

Restaurante Hemingway
Reserve with
Restaurante Hemingway is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 721 Restaurants in Funchal
Price range: US$14 - US$40
Description: Hemingway is an alternative to Madeiras traditional gastronomy with a lovely decor in tribute to Hemingway, friendly service and supeberb food. It could only be from the creators of Mozart Restaurant
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

No reservation but on looking from the outside,the restaurant seemed to have a nice decor and decided to take a table. Was shown to a table in a conservatory at the rear with plastic chairs, with no windows and rather chilly. It didn’t have any ambience at all and very disappointed. The waiter was surly looking and came to order our food before before even asking for drinks. I had to ask for the wine list. Asked for sparkling water and got still.....i can live with that. One of the cokes also went back and the ice machine was broken. My daughters pasta with prawns was nearly cold on arrival, the seafood risotto tasted of parmesan cheese even though i had not been offered any and the other two meals where good. The service was very poor throughout the meal. Decided at this point to leave and asked for the bill. We eat out as a family often and was the worst experience in a long time.

Alberto R, Public Relations Manager at Restaurante Hemingway, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2018

I am dreadfully sorry about your awful experiences at Hemingway from the plastic chairs to no windows, to the chilly atmosphere, to the surly looking waiter, to the broken ice machine, to your daughter's cold prawns, to the risotto that tasted of parmesan cheese (an essential ingredient to risotto, so I am told from our wonderful chef Silvana) and to the poor service. In future, PLEASE do call for my attention and I will absolutely try my utmost to make your visit a pleasant one. Trust me, I will not tolerate any of your above mentioned "abuses" from any of the staff. Please do come by again and ask to speak to me (Albert) if you're still on the the island. Again, may I offer you my humble apologies. Many thanks and I hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Hemingway offers a great experience, the staff were cheery and welcoming from the moment we reserved a table until waving us goodnight at the end of the evening. Service was attentive, friendly and always smiling. Food (we had the Beef Wellington) was sumptuous, the house wine (a crisp white) was excellent and the pudding scrummy - all adding up to a memorable and thoroughly enjoyable evening.... We will be back!

Thank you for your review. I am happy to hear that your evening was enjoyable and memorable. I will tell our wonderful chef that you thought her food to be sumptuous and scrummy!!! Wunderbar, as the Germans would say. Please enjoy the balance of your holiday and wishing you a safe trip home. See you soon.

Reviewed April 1, 2018 via mobile

I organized a meal for 10 to celebrate my husband's birthday and the staff bent over backwards to make it special. The food was superb and presentation was spectacular while the wine flowed freely. The €35 all inclusive menu is excellent value, as it includes sparkling wine on arrival, unlimited wine during the meal and Madeira wine with dessert. Staff are welcoming and friendly and service is impeccable. We will be back!

Alberto R, Public Relations Manager at Restaurante Hemingway, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2018

I am pleased that your husband's dinner party at Hemingway ran smoothly and that you enjoyed yourselves tremendously. Yes, I must agree that the SPECIAL CONCEPT of €35 is of excellent value. I am also pleased to hear that the staff were attentive and that the wine flowed freely. You are always welcome to Hemingway and next time you're back in Madeira, please make are to make HEMINGWAY your regular pitstop.

Reviewed March 31, 2018 via mobile

If you are in Madeira please oh please do not miss the opportunity to visit Hemmingways restaurant, the food choice is excellent and the wines offered on the €35 menu to compliment the food are outstanding. The staff are so good and keen to ensure you have a great experience even to making sure you leave through a door held by a staff member wishing you a safe trip home. This is really a must visit.

I am happy to hear that your visit to HEMINGWAY was a great experience. Thank you for your compliments. I will relay your compliments to them. I am sure they'll all be as proud as peacocks. A little recognition goes a long way. Thank you and please do tell your family and friends about us !!!

Reviewed March 30, 2018 via mobile

Albert, the guy with the bowler hat at the door was quizzed the other night about formality of dress (my husband hates dressing up on holiday!) and also how accommodating for our daughter (6) they would be. He sold it to us and believe me we weren’t disappointed! Shellfish, beef and wines of the highest quality with some great service made a lovely evening.

No old fashioned “silver service” or uptightness in this restaurant.....just good service, good food, good wine and good prices!

We highly recommend!

Thank you for your positive review. I am pleased to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your dinner at HEMINGWAY. Yes, I do remember being quizzed by your husband and yes, I was right in telling you that HEMINGWAY is about GOOD service, GOOD food, GOOD wine, GOOD prices and more importantly, an informal venue like it should be. Once again I thank you and please make HEMINGWAY your pitstop whenever you're back in Madeira.