“Hearty food - decent portions - feeling cosy”
Review of Restaurante O Arco

Restaurante O Arco
Ranked #208 of 700 Restaurants in Funchal
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Reviewed January 4, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant is good for the type of clients who look at quality and a genuine restaurant for pleasure of food not those in rush or the price sensitive customers.At the first look, the restaurant may not look something special but do not get fooled, step in. The food is simple without much elaboration on presentation but once you taste it, you feel the love by whoever that made that food. Part of the deserts are home made which merit the taste. The simplicity of the restaurant I am not a big food lover and rarely think I am competent to comment on restaurants as they are same to me. But once a food is good I think I must shout it loud. Average cost per person including three course meal and drinks is about 20 euro. I go back there again.

Reviewed December 31, 2017

My wife and I chanced upon this restaurant when we were passing. It was quite busy so we decided to eat there.

We were seated at a table for two, which two other diners had just left. Five or ten minutes later oour drinks orrder was taken and then after another few minutes our food order. I ordered fish soup as my starter and the waitress suggested that I should have garlicbread wth this, to which I agreed. My wife just wanted one course.

Almost exactly one hour after we first arrived my soup arrived with no garlic bread. I had to remind the waitress that I had ordered it. My soup, which was OK, was half finished when I got it.

After about another 15 or twenty minutes the main courses arrived.I had a shrimp and squid skewer, which was quite tasteless. The squid was also quite tough. My wife had black pork, which was also tough and lacking in flavour.

Our meals were accompanied by frozen chips, boiled carrots and string beans, again tasteless. I have to say that we were very disappointed with the food after waiting such a long time. This is one that we will not be revisiting.

Reviewed December 31, 2017

This is a homely and family run restaurant with very reasonable prices. It's clear it appeals to the locals because there were many of them there when we visited. The staff are very friendly and offered us their local Poncha on the house. I recommend the sardines.

Reviewed December 24, 2017 via mobile

We have been to this place for second time amd we really enjoyed the food and place. My friend had a steak and he lived it. The fish have been tasty and fresh both time. Also, get yummy coffee cake :). Totally worth it!

Reviewed October 15, 2017

This restaurant serves good basic local food. Surprised by some of the reviews that said they had had to wait for service as, when we have been there we have always been surprised that it isn't busier. On this visit there were already quite a few customers being served but, although there was only one waitress our food came quite quickly and was very tasty. Then again I think it would be difficult to find a bad meal in Funchal, haven't managed it yet.
Will no doubt be back again