All reviews orange squash excellent location suited our needs yogurt old town star hotel rooms are clean small balcony good size roof terrace reception staff dorita wake madeira luggage supermarket
Reviewed June 20, 2017

My first ever review, so I'm guessing it will be a bit of a babble.

I needed a room for a short stay in Funchal to visit my mother who was in hospital there, after having a fall.

I have travelled a reasonable amount in my past, I am a simple man that doesn't ask for much from a hotel. The two things I would normally look for is a clean and a safe room. When I saw the price of this hotel I was guessing that I would be lucky to receive either of these requirements, but as I was travelling alone it wasn't massively important.
When I arrived, I was greeted buy a very smiley lady who was very sympathetic and caring when hearing about my purpose for the visit. Upon checking in she informed me that there was breakfast included in that price. I walked up to the room with few expectations, but when opening the door I discovered a very clean welcoming room. Breakfast was limited, but that is by no means a criticism, there was enough there to get you started with the day, the selection of fresh bread was beautiful.
All in all, very impressed.

Oh, as a side note, am member of staff informed me that while I was there the fireworks were on down the marina, and said about watching it from the rooftop terrace, that I was unaware of. I went up the hesitantly but sure enough a perfect view, a lovely little bonus.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank daynop
Reviewed May 4, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights, with our son to visit CR7 Museum.
The Hotel is basic , however very clean and centrally located for bars, restaurants and attractions.
We had a room facing the road which could be noisy at times.
Breakfast was in a small cafe next door which was very basic.
The fruit juice was orange squash and awful.
However for the money we paid, this hotel suited our needs.
If you are after a clean, well located hotel this is for you, but do not expect frills as there aren't any.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed May 3, 2017 via mobile

I have struggled to review this hotel any other way than giving it a terrible rating. Yes it's cheap but cheap didn't buy us an undisturbed nights sleep from the three nights (two different rooms) that we spent here. The only good thing was that the reception staff were lovely, one cheerful all the time, the other lady had a slightly tougher facade but was pleasant enough. The rooms were extremely dated with the most uncomfortable bed (beds) I have ever slept in. If you turned in the night the independent springs sprung into action digging into every part of my body, the bed felt near to collapsed every time my husband turned over and the sheets moved away from being tucked in each movement we made. The noise from the road was unbearable, screaming drunk people virtually all night, barking dogs barking in unison, traffic in abundance from around six am you name it and I heard it. Inside there were shuffling feet along the corridors at all hours, babies crying and loud talking guests. The only thing that escaped my ears was the sound of lovemaking but then I doubt anyone would be in the mood for love here. The hotel has a lovely roof terrace with artificial grass and several plastic sun loungers. On closer inspection these were all damaged and could not do anything other than lie flat unless you propped it against the balcony railings. However there were no pads available for them despite asking for some, so unable to enjoy the loungers either. The rooms had plenty of space for clothes storage but wardrobes had no handles on them, there was only one socket to plug in electricals and the curtains were thin. No air conditioning so windows had to be left slightly open to achieve any cool air. The bathroom had a hairdryer but there was no plug for the bath and a shower head attached from the taps flopped down all the time so showering was a task. The only area to get wifi was right by our hotel room door so we had to sit or stand by the door each time we wanted to download something or do any admin. The breakfast was awful, dreadfully cheap coffee from one of the taps, hot milk from the other tap, fresh rolls or long life previously vacuumed sealed croissants that were not baked fresh with sliced cheese or ham, cereal (one option), a few jam preserves, butter and plain yogurts. You could request tea but this was a jug of water with a teabag floating in it that didn't find the strength to produce anything other than a pale insipid colour that was completely flavourless.
In summary it might be cheap but that doesn't make value. Pay €20 or more and go somewhere else. A good nights sleep has got to be one the most important things when staying anywhere. Get that right and almost everything else can be forgiven.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 2, 2017

I arrived at the Sirius Hotel since my travel agent made a mistake and never confirmed my room at another place just a few blocks away, I must say that it couldn't have been a better find. The rooms are basic but very clean and spacious. The front desk manager Dorita was awesome at arranging sightseeing and transportation. She also recommended the restaurant special fish dish with passion fruit sauce- so tasty and so inexpensive, the main course and a glass of wine was less than $10 USD. Hotel is in a great location in the center of town, with the main tourist areas within blocks. A large super market just a half block away helped for small items like water and snacks. I will admit that breakfast could possibly have been better but for the great value of the room and it's location, breakfast was adequate. The best part of all was the roof top deck with great views of downtown Funchal and the ocean. Sitting there with a bottle of vinho verde and watching the view was amazing. Great sitting louge on the 5th floor also. I would return to the Hotel Sirius without doubt.

Room Tip: Ask for room on 5th floor for privacy - many rooms have a balcony with views of the town and some of the ocean
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2017 via mobile

I have stayed in the Sirius hotel now several times. The rooms are always spotlessly clean and comfortable. The staff are really nice. The location is superb if you are doing business in Funchal. Just a short walk to the harbour, local restaurants and shops. If you are on a tight budget this is a great option. Obviously don't expect swimming pools or ocean views. Just nice friendly people.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business