“Never Again”
Review of Dorisol Mimosa

Dorisol Mimosa
Ranked #82 of 88 Hotels in Funchal
Reviewed 17 September 2017

Sorry this review may be rather long, but would like to explain why we gave the review the title of never again. We have stayed in numerous hotels and apartments in Madeira, from cheap to expensive and have never had any problems. When we booked this hotel it was as an add on to two weeks that we had already booked to stay in a friend's time share; as we had to be out of the timeshare by 10am I contacted the hotel via booking.com to ask if we were able to have an early check in and as we weren't flying out until 7.55pm, was there a possibility of a late checkout. I was told that although they couldn't guarantee it, they were sure they could accommodate our request. If they had said no then the plan was to book a night either side of our dates so we would go straight from time share to their room and then check out at 5.30pm and not use the room for that night but hotel seemed very accommodating until we arrived just after 10am, with not only luggage but our remaining groceries. We were told that our room was not ready, that we could leave our luggage in their storage area and then try coming back at 1pm, as they didn't know what time the current occupants were leaving but they had to vacate room by 12 noon. Off we went and returned at 1pm, by the time we had walked up approx 155 steps to the hotel, I was ready for a rest, as I have poor mobility caused by fracture in spine and knee problems. Our room still wasn't ready, so was directed to pool bar, where we had some lunch. I will say my husband's steak sandwich looked good and the few chips I had off his plate were nice. At 1.40pm we tried again, the very helpful male receptionist promised us the room would be ready in 5mins. At 1.45pm a young lady checked us in, and I asked about our previous request for a late checkout. We were told to come back 2 days before we were due to depart to see if it was possible, I explained that we were willing to pay for the extra night but was led to believe that checking out at 5.30pm wouldn't be a problem, she said there was no need to pay for extra night but to come back and she would arrange it.
I was then amazed to find that there were only 2 lifts, that held 4 people, so it was fortunate only one or two people were checking in, as if it had been a coach load their holiday would have been halfway through by the time they got up to their rooms. I was very disappointed with our room, as I had asked for a room as high up in hotel as possible, we ended up on 6th floor with a huge tree blocking most of our view. We found that only one of us could see the sea, when sitting on the balcony, while the other could see downstairs or the tree. If you looked carefully through the branches, you could just about see a bit of mountain and the town. The heat in the room his us immediately we walked into room, I had expected at least a ceiling fan but there was nothing. My husband went and asked if there was a possibility of a fan, as when we opened balcony door to try and let some air in the noise from the two lots of building works was horrendous. Down the road was a large piece of machinery breaking up boulders and then dropping the rubble into lorries, this went on from 8.30am until 6pm with a break of one hour for lunch. I'm pleased to say the fan arrived within 10mins and the man on reception did call out and ask us if we had got it OK. Unfortunately fan made little difference as the lead was very short, so didn't reach beds and at that time there seemed to be only two sockets that we could plug it into and even on full blast it had no power to it. I was amazed how little equipment was supplied in the kitchenette, there were some saucepans but no sieve, utensils were extremely limited and not even a can or bottle opener. The kettle had to be heated on the hob and lid fell off when pouring boiling water out, burning my hand. There was no toaster and microwave was real basic, whereas in previous places you could make toast in combi microwave, so we ended up eating out most of time. We did have breakfast included in our rate but only made it down to breakfast 3 times, as it wasn't worth the hassle. Like reviews before us and managements reply saying comments had been passed on, staff were offhand, surly and the girl with the resin her hair and holes in her jeans really didn't want to be there. Plates were begrudgingly taken away and when asked for cups, spoons, plates etc they took along time coming. I have never come across a toaster like the one they had, normally it's a roller one or a normal pop up toaster but this one you had to fit bread into tongs and the put it under a very slow grill that had a timer on it, so if you wasn't careful it would turn itself off. Food was cold and eggs were congealed, so we gave up with breakfast and had some fruit or cereal in our room, which was fun as the bowls were like slightly deeper plates.
I need to have a bath to soak my muscles and joints due to fibramyalgia plus walking up slope was a killer on my legs, but found when we tried to change the tap from shower to bath we only got a trickle of hot water from the tap. I ended up having to hold shower head over the bath in order to fill it, so reported it to a girl I'm reception who assured us it would be sorted, it never was. Once in the bath it was really difficult to get out as there are no grab rails and twice I nearly fell, so rather than have a bath everyday I had to limit it to every few days, when back was really in need of a soak. We also reported water leaking from system and under sink, only discovered sink was leaking when we kept finding water in saucepans.
There was entertainment each evening, which started around 9.30pm, the compère didn't need a microphone as he was so loud, we could hear him in our room with doors closed.
After staying here for 3 or 4 days I was ready to leave, I spent all evening online trying to find alternative accommodation as I felt trapped due to access and the noise from building sites and other guests was really stressing me out. After putting cotton wool in my ears I had a better nights sleep, so decided to stick with hotel but instead of walking up that we would get a taxi back from town or from local supermarket, as my knees were getting more and more inflamed from walking up the steps. We then discovered that the pool down in the Bouganville was so much quieter than our pool, so did enjoy a couple of days over the weekend relaxing by their pool but come Monday the building sites started up,again. If we had known these works were going on, we would never have booked here. Other people in the hotel were out on coach trips most days so the works wouldn't have affected them so much but when we come to Madeira we normally live like the locals and I think this is where we went wrong when booking this hotel and why we wouldn't stay again, as it was too touristy for our liking.
Two days before we were due to check out we went and saw the same girl who had told us to come two days before departure, where she informed us that there was no possible way that she would know at that stage if we could have a late checkout and to come back the next day. The following day we were advised that we could have our late checkout, so we're very pleased that we could stay in our room until,our taxi picked us up,at 5.30pm. At just after 4pm on departure day our maid knocked, apologised for disturbing us and went away. A few minutes later we had a phone call from reception asking why we hadn't vacated our room, as we should have been out by 4pm. Explained what we had requested and that we had been told, that we couldn't vacate immediately as my husband was in the shower. I was then told if we didn't leave the room straightaway that we would be charged for an extra night; I said we were happy to pay, as that was what we had suggested originally but then she back tracked and said we couldn't as room was needed for people arriving that evening. We vacated room at 4.35pm and went down to pay the bill, we were charged 15 euros for late checkout, although booking.com said there would be no extra charge. I also pointed out that I was amazed that they were putting people into a room where the problems we had reported had still not been fixed, the girl just smiled and said they would get maintenance in to fix it. We were in room 602, so if you are offered that one check for leaks!!

Room Tip: As high a possible to avoid the huge tree and I hear the 8th floor has air con
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PatBarker
DorisolHotels, Diretor de vendas at Dorisol Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2017

We are very sorry not to have met your expectations. We are a good 3 star hotel and provide everything a 3 star hotel is supposed to offer. We apologize for not having been able to provide the early check in and for the confusion about your late check out, but we were completely full during your stay and had to accommodate other guests as well. We will inspect room 602 and make sure everything is up to scratch. We take your comments to heart and will share them with our team.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

It is worth to know that the reduced ratings of this hotel are probably the result of above all too high expectations. One must know that the specifics of the island of Madeira was that it was not so accessible to mass tourism. It is also far from continental Europe, so it is more expensive to get here. Also for these reasons, more expensive hotels dominate here. Those that are cheaper are mainly hotels built in the 20th century and have not been renovated for years. Hotel Mimosa is characterized by the old equipment (80s), but it is very clean here. There are two major drawbacks - often one employee handles reception for two hotels. The second minus is the scourge of pigeons on the balconies (even on high floors!). Please ask the owners to take some steps, because the pigeons unfortunately even enter the hotel rooms. These are birds that carry many parasites, also dangerous for humans, eg Argas reflexus.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
DorisolHotels, Diretor de vendas at Dorisol Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Thank you for your review of our Hotel Mimosa. We offer spacious rooms with kitchenettes and balconies, and pride ourselves in the cleanliness of our premises. As to the pigeons, unfortunately very often our guests feed them in their own balconies, and they get used to this. We will take steps to try and avoid this as much as it is within our power. We hope to welcome you back in some future trip to our lovely island of Madeira!

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

Well located in Lido area. Funchal centre and some shops (e.g Pingo Doce) reachable by walk.
Basic and a bit dated hotel. There's lack of a/c and wifi in the rooms. A little noisy because of building works nearby.
Parking available for free.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your concise review of our Hotel Mimosa. We would like to add that we offer spacious studios with kitchenettes and balconies with great views. We also take pride in the cleanliness of our hotel and friendliness of our staff. We offer very good value for money, and hope to welcme you back in the near future.

Reviewed 1 September 2017

n holiday with 3 generations of family on the 8th floor, Located on a Steep hill which was inaccessible for the 80 year old ( but that is not the hotels fault)
Hotel is multinational, close to a few bars and restaurants 20 mins. walk into the centre
The Room was ok, it had Air Con( I was later told on the way home that it was the only floor that had air con, and other guest had been opening the fridge door to cool the room)
with a kitchenette, we never used the kitchenette but it looked functional
We shared a towel for 2 days as the chamber maid only left one bath towel (presumed they had run out )
We tried to have a lay in one day( 9 am) only to be woken up by the chambermaids having a heated discussion outside our room

There is a heated pool which was needed for the children as the main pool was deep and very cold

The Breakfast was bad quality hot and cold food, the problem was chasing the staff all the time for cutlery cups and plates and they just could not be bothered, in the end I gave up and used forks to stair my coffee very poor service
The lunch was the bare minimum fish meat chips and dry pasta?
the funniest thing was the snacks between 4 and 6 which was ham cheese in a Tupperware container, sliced bread and a toaster, which you had to DIY, every day the same
The evening meal was in the dining room, a selection of hot and cold food buffet which was OK

The entertainment was again the bare minimum

There was only 1 bar open which was the pool bar, because only a small amount of guest were All Inclusive (only Brit’s) the bar was never that busy as the other guest choose to go elsewhere and I don't blame them because the staff are so rude slamming the drinks down, it was as if the last thing they wanted to do was serve you !
at one point I wanted to tell the staff how much I had paid for the holiday to see if that would shame them into improving their service

They say you get what you pay for, on this occasion that was not true,
The hotel is 3 stars but will be going down to 2 stars if the staff do not change their attitude towards the customers

I would not recommend this Hotel and I am disgusted at Thompson Holidays for selling it to me

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank vickyw62
DorisolHotels, Diretor de vendas at Dorisol Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Wedeeply regret the inconveniences suffered during your stay with us! Your comments regarding the food and service have already been passed on to our F&B department for imediate improvement. We promide you a much better experience if you do choose to give us another opportunity on a next visit to Madeira!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Dated hotel but had a nice feel. Room was comfortable but very small balcony and dated. Food was terrible. Breakfast was good though. Staff were very friendly. Good bus service into Funchal about ten mins away. Nice restaurants close by. Great for the money paid

Stayed: April 2017
1  Thank susan f
DorisolHotels, Diretor de vendas at Dorisol Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2017

Thank you for your review of our Hotel Mimosa. Our studio rooms are spacious, at 24 square meters and they all have balconies. Our chef tries hard to please many different nationalities, and everything is cooked fresh every day and there is plenty of choice. Our staff is very friendly and helpful. We hope to welcome you back on your next trip to Madeira!

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

I think this hotel has received unfair reviews. Generally you get what you pay for - this is not a 5 star hotel but you are not paying 5 star prices. First of all the staff could not be more friendly or helpful; such nice people. There are good facilities; tennis court, bar area, nice pool, plenty of sun beds and terrace. We had two rooms on the eighth floor that had nice balconies and small kitchen areas; the rooms were cleaned every day. The food was a major bone of contention with all the guests and here is our view; it was plentiful with a varied menu, not haut cuisine but hey come on let's be realistic. The breakfast was as you would expect anywhere and they put on nice snacks in the afternoon. We were there for one week and ate out twice just so we could have a curry and an Italian for a change, I think if future guest adopt a similar approach there will be no disappointments. Take my word for it this a good hotel and well worth the money.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank BBBBaz
DorisolHotels, Diretor de vendas at Dorisol Mimosa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

Thank you ever so much for such a nice review of our Hotel Mimosa! We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to welcome you back on your next trip to our lovely island of Madeira.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

After reading some reviews, we were wary of this hotel. However, it is not as bad as people make out!
Our room was ready as soon as we arrived and it was spotless. Only downside was no air con and noisy dogs!
Breakfast was great, with bacon eggs mushrooms beans etc, plus ham cheese lots of lovely fresh bread, cereal yoghurt and fruit. Plenty of fruit juices and coffee.
Lunch was OK, pasta, salads, fish and a meat dish and potato wedges or chips.
Dinner was taken in Europa restaurant which is located in the Estrelica (middle hotel ). There was always soup, salad, pasta, fish and meat. Choices were quite limited and could have been hotter, but the main issue was the heat in the restaurant. It was unbearable and did put us off going in. Also, there wasn't any child friendly foods so we ate out for dinner.
The outdoor pool was nice but the shallow end is 1.5m, which I thought was a bit too deep. The indoor pool was fab though as was the jacuzzi!
Entertainment was pretty low key, but I think that is the norm in Madeira. If you want karaoke and bustling British bars, you'd be better off in Benidorm.
The hotel is very clean and all the staff were friendly and helpful. There were a couple of grumpy ones but nothing that worried us!
Ice cream and toasties are available between 4pm and 6pm, but you need to ask for the ice cream, don't bother paying for those in the fridge, at €2, they're not really worth it.
Drinks were good, spirits although unbranded were strong and plentiful!
The Hill! Wow! It was steep, so be aware if you have mobility or breathing issues! ! Our 9 year old could sprint up it, but we trudged slowly far behind!
If going into Funchal, the bus is €1.95 per person, but a taxi is only a few cents more and reception will happily call one for you, plus they drop you at the door on the way back! Bonus - no Hill climb!
We only found one bureau de change, which is located next to the church in Funchal, so be aware if you plan on taking English money as the hotel won't change it.
All in all, we had a great time at Dorisol Mimosa and came home with great memories.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family