It’s a perfectly good four star hotel, with some peculiarities. Lovely rooms, great views, good service, etc, but its out of town location can be a problem unless you like walking steeply uphill for quite some distance. The courtesy minibus doesn’t run at night, and a taxi into town or to the Lido area costs 7 or 8 euros.
Best bet is to walk steeply downhill to the Lido area, which has some decent restaurants, and get a taxi back. Walk towards town for a few hundred yards and you will see some steps leading down by a house - don’t worry, they lead to a public path - and just head downwards, across one main road until you come to another, where you turn right. About a ten minute walk.
The hotel itself is actually two buildings linked by a bridge, which can be confusing when you are trying to locate the pool and the restaurant. If you are a sun worshipper the pool is best in the morning and early afternoon, since as the day wears on the sun moves behind the buildings.
Breakfasts are very good, plenty of choice, and the multi lingual egg chef provides some entertainment, producing delicious omelettes in seconds.
It seems the default room configuration is twin beds, but if you ask they will join them into a large double. The downside of that is the duvet is then too small. There is a well stocked minibar at reasonable prices. Don’t miss the happy hour in the cocktail bar where prices are 50% between 6 and 7.
The bathroom is clean and stocked with the things you don’t often need, such as shoe shine and sewing kits, whereas the room lacks the things you do need, such as a pen and a kettle. The shower is particularly good, once you work out how to switch it on.
So - views or convenient location? Up to you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in the west hillside of Funchal, with superb views of the sea, the bay and magnificent mountains. With a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, this is the ideal place for an unforgettable holidays. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Madeira Panoramico Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Madeira Panoramico
- Madeira Panoramico Funchal
- Madeira Panoramico Hotel Funchal, Portugal