Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
We love ‘We Hate Tourism’ tours!

We went on the Porto city tour with Bruno and it was a very informative and fun 6 hours, seeing and... read more

Reviewed October 19, 2018
jane502017
Sydney, Australia
Great tour of Douro Valley

We had a great experience with Nelson. When our original tour company didn’t show up, we called... read more

Reviewed September 30, 2017
DKAY591
Orlando
via mobile

All reviews traditional tour these guys delicious port city tour se cathedral highly recommend this tour great tour marta bravo lisbon company tourists wine culture
Reviewed May 4, 2017

I visited Porto with my friend for a girls weekend and, after poring over many tour options, we chose "We Hate Tourism" (because we really don't want to be "those" tourists, ironic, no?). I was crushed when there was no availability on the one day we had free in Porto. Fortunately, I emailed and they created a tour for us on that day. Not only that, it was Bruno, the creator of "We Hate Tourism Tours", who was our guide!

Bruno is the greatest! He took us to the "must see" spots in Porto and, not only that, managed to stay one step ahead of the hordes. For example, we were leaving the Se cathedral as two packed tour buses pulled up and so it went the entire day. In addition to the usual attractions, we toured with Bruno as you would a friend. He took us to some of his favorite spots with the best views, provided us lunch and wine breaks (Vinho Verde- yay!) from the back of his van fitted out with a mini picnic table-so cute. He talked of life and love and the Portuguese way--poets and philosophers and things he learned from family and friends. He listened and crafted a tour just for us on the fly. For example, he allowed me time in the Livraria Lello because I told him how much I loved books. He took us to the beach and let us stroll to our hearts content-picking us up further down the strand. There were many, many experiences like that during our day-just wonderful and intimate and local, flea markets along the Douro and dreaming of homesteads from high above the city. Bruno also supplied us with foods typical of the city--a breakfast croissant, a sandwich snack, a great melt in your mouth Befana at a local restaurant and, oh yea, vinho verde!

The tour ended on the other side of the river in Vila Nova de Gaia which was super--we then continued on and sampled port at a few port houses before walking to a local fisherman's village and having a dinner grilled on the sidewalk of fish that were freshly caught that day- Bruno's recommendation of course.

The three things I will never forget about this day and the "We Hate Tourism" experience were:

1. It was an awesome day. We did a ton of things. I don't think there is another tour like it. Bruno embodies the warm and caring nature of the Portuguese people and is proud to show you his city from so many different viewpoints

2. We Hate Tourism really cares and wants you to have a good time. When I told him my son was having some troubles after arriving in Lisbon and losing his wallet, he was ready to help with his team even in a different city. Bruno is a friend!

3. Portugal is for relaxing and having fun. I have a very demanding, high paced job. I noticed Bruno was wearing a wrist watch (which not very many people do these days) but it HAD NO HANDS! He told me the watch was to remind him that he did need to be somewhat careful about time, but not a slave to checking the hands all the time. I love that! I took a picture of that! I'm going to put it on my desk.

Thanks so much Bruno and "We Hate Tourism" tours. I'd give you tons more stars if I could. This is THE TOUR to do in Porto. We loved it so much we did another "We Hate Tourism" Tour when we went to Lisbon. DO IT!

Date of experience: April 2017
1  Thank sazoram
Reviewed April 29, 2017

I visited Lisbon and Porto with recommendations from We Hate Tourism Tours, history, style, food, architectures, arts, shops, music and the soul of Portugal. All you can name it, about what to know, the good, the bad and the ugly, these guys will tell honestly and literally anything about Portugal. And you may enjoy the cities with the fun of getting lost in the streets. Getting around with all the secret spots and tours with them.... !

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed April 27, 2017

It was day before Easter, 2017 and we were in Porto. On a whim I contacted the Website for We Hate Tourism and emailed a request for a custom tour to be arranged for the next day for 2 people. Bruno, answered. He is the president of the company for all of Portugal. He was very cordial, friendly, professional and read carefully what we wanted to do because we had been to Porto 4 times before, and yes - structured a tour for us overnight. He met us at our hotel at 9 am on Easter Sunday and took us on a fabulous tour of cultural neighborhoods in Porto. We had wanted to do a port wine tasting but places were understandably closed on this day. Nevertheless, Bruno created a port wine experience for us - consisting of serving us home made delicious port wine and regional cheese on a mini beach side picnic in Porto. His grasp of the city and history was amazing We heard new facts we hadn't known and we were very grateful to have connected once again with this company. 5 stars all the way. Bruno and his company are exceptional!!

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed January 17, 2015

My friend and I booked a private tour with André in Porto and loved it! André took us all around the city, bringing us to some secret spots only locals know about. He shared his love for and knowledge of Porto with us, and we had a great time with him. Highly recommended!

Date of experience: January 2015
3  Thank TLJ77
Reviewed November 16, 2014

We enjoyed the sights of Porto, but we especially enjoy the We Hate Tourism Tours way of giving us a little time to wander, observe, and take photos.

We were treated to relaxing coffee and goodie stops, a picnic under the trees, as well as a glass of port in an out-of-the-way sidewalk café at the conclusion.

What is so special about WHTT is their concept and their people.

We took two tours from the originators of WHTT in Lisbon a few years ago, and in Porto, found our hosts Nelson and Sophia perfect, as if we were long-lost relatives in town to be shown the sights with friendly conversation. No scripts, no dwelling on what we can read before arriving. Our perfect tours and hosts.

The country-side tour (X-Day Trip) took us into the hills to Guimaraes and Braga, vistas so spectacular they were little tarnished by the overcast day. Again, we were given time to explore along the way, as well as stops at little cafes.

We'd like to return to Guimaraes to spend a few days. This trip, we saw the major attractions, plus had time to quickly pop into a shop and buy delicate earrings, as well as observe student artists sketching picturesque buildings.

While the major sights are the same for any tour, WHTT's hosts made the days and our visit to northern Portugal memorable.

Date of experience: April 2014