“Merci Bruno”

We Hate Tourism Tours
Ranked #29 of 91 Food & Drink in Porto
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Take A Trip With Us. Really make the most of your visit to Porto with We Hate Tourism Tours Menu! WHTT take you everywhere worth visiting in and around Porto, Guimarães and Braga as well! WHTT`s locals show you their favourite places through their eyes. Always different and always fun.
Reviewed May 13, 2017 via mobile

We took a tour in Porto with Bruno last week and it was an amazing experience. Interesting conversation, nice places, it was a great day! Merci beaucoup Bruno!

Date of experience: May 2017
"city tour"
in 4 reviews
"se cathedral"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
in 3 reviews
in 8 reviews
"culture"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2017 via mobile

My best friend and I found ourselves planning a somewhat last minute trip to Portugal. The philosophy of WHTT appealed to us both. We had to email to request a booking, but they accommodated us, and we're glad they did. As others have mentioned, Bruno provides snacks and wine throughout the day, unique stops and viewpoints, and a sense of being both a proud Portuguese, and a citizen of the world. If you want to linger in a spot a little longer, that's fine.... The day is tailored to your interests. Explore Porto through the eyes of a native while creating your own unique memories.

Date of experience: April 2017
Reviewed May 5, 2017

I arrived in Porto and just did the usual touristy things, eat, walk etc zzzz.

I was at a lost on what to do on my second and last night and basically was looking for something different. I came across We Hate Tourism website and at the different approach it adopted with zany graphics crazy name for a business, I thought why not, life is too short.

I was not disappointed!!! I arrived at the meeting point to be greeted by Bruno who was very welcoming. He went out of his way to wait for somebody who was late whilst other tours would more than likely say well they haven't turned up that's their problem.

Despite the late arrival, we started the tour at a pace, only for Bruno to stop the van at the beginning of the bridge and tell us to walk to the other side! Some people would have thought Christ he's taken our money and doing a runner!! It was in a way Bruno's way in helping to get to know each other. We walked the bridge and found Bruno parked in the central reservation waiting for us!

This was definitely a different tour and set a nice tone for the rest of the evening. After being taken on this detour, we then went to a monastery to start drinking!

Bruno took us to what is probably the best fish restaurant that I have been to and gave us a very informative and knowledgeable account of the food available which was well.....excellent. We talked about various things, politics (not my thing really but the debate was interesting given the nationalities on the tour) to football and diving off a bridge!

The end of the evening, we were taken to another view point to drink more (the sweet!) and then to Casa da Musica. Throughout this Bruno gave great tips, conversation and the madness sadly ended with Bruno driving us back safely to our hotels :( Bruno took a different approach to my one, the portuguese way!!

I would definitely recommend WHTT to anyone and in particular Bruno for his enthusiasm and alternative approach to tours. Thank you, Thank you Bruno for making Porto memorable.

Nick

Date of experience: May 2017
1  Thank Niko747
Reviewed May 4, 2017

I visited Porto with my friend for a girls weekend and, after poring over many tour options, we chose "We Hate Tourism" (because we really don't want to be "those" tourists, ironic, no?). I was crushed when there was no availability on the one day we had free in Porto. Fortunately, I emailed and they created a tour for us on that day. Not only that, it was Bruno, the creator of "We Hate Tourism Tours", who was our guide!

Bruno is the greatest! He took us to the "must see" spots in Porto and, not only that, managed to stay one step ahead of the hordes. For example, we were leaving the Se cathedral as two packed tour buses pulled up and so it went the entire day. In addition to the usual attractions, we toured with Bruno as you would a friend. He took us to some of his favorite spots with the best views, provided us lunch and wine breaks (Vinho Verde- yay!) from the back of his van fitted out with a mini picnic table-so cute. He talked of life and love and the Portuguese way--poets and philosophers and things he learned from family and friends. He listened and crafted a tour just for us on the fly. For example, he allowed me time in the Livraria Lello because I told him how much I loved books. He took us to the beach and let us stroll to our hearts content-picking us up further down the strand. There were many, many experiences like that during our day-just wonderful and intimate and local, flea markets along the Douro and dreaming of homesteads from high above the city. Bruno also supplied us with foods typical of the city--a breakfast croissant, a sandwich snack, a great melt in your mouth Befana at a local restaurant and, oh yea, vinho verde!

The tour ended on the other side of the river in Vila Nova de Gaia which was super--we then continued on and sampled port at a few port houses before walking to a local fisherman's village and having a dinner grilled on the sidewalk of fish that were freshly caught that day- Bruno's recommendation of course.

The three things I will never forget about this day and the "We Hate Tourism" experience were:

1. It was an awesome day. We did a ton of things. I don't think there is another tour like it. Bruno embodies the warm and caring nature of the Portuguese people and is proud to show you his city from so many different viewpoints

2. We Hate Tourism really cares and wants you to have a good time. When I told him my son was having some troubles after arriving in Lisbon and losing his wallet, he was ready to help with his team even in a different city. Bruno is a friend!

3. Portugal is for relaxing and having fun. I have a very demanding, high paced job. I noticed Bruno was wearing a wrist watch (which not very many people do these days) but it HAD NO HANDS! He told me the watch was to remind him that he did need to be somewhat careful about time, but not a slave to checking the hands all the time. I love that! I took a picture of that! I'm going to put it on my desk.

Thanks so much Bruno and "We Hate Tourism" tours. I'd give you tons more stars if I could. This is THE TOUR to do in Porto. We loved it so much we did another "We Hate Tourism" Tour when we went to Lisbon. DO IT!

Date of experience: April 2017