Review Highlights
Art Deco Theatre

Not as pretty as the National Theatre nearby, but the Coliseum do Porto offers some nice concerts... read more

Reviewed June 1, 2017
Nikhil_A_Pai
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
A great performance arts builiding

"Coliseu do Porto" is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2017. It is an historic building that has... read more

Reviewed April 30, 2017

from US$16.50
from US$64.80
from US$111.90
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 9, 2015

We went to Porto on 22nd May 2015 for 9 days. The Coliseum do Porto was open for the first few days that we were there, but we noticed that the poster advertising what acts were coming up stopped at the end of May 2015. Sure enough, the poster was taken down and it looks as though workmen have moved in!

The Coliseum is one of those buildings from the 20s and 30s which are all over Porto - though I think they are ugly, my husband does not and they probably would be listed elsewhere. Nethertheless, I am pleased that this venue is being done up. It is clearly a landmark in Porto as you see it on a lot of directional signage, and as pedestrians it certainly helped us find our way back to our apartment.

That this has been an important musical venue in Porto for decades is clearly seen from the number of Franchesina ( speciatilty Porto toastie) joints opposite it, which were packed out and had queues every night of the week. On the last night that there was an event on in the Coliseum, it was heaving down the street where it is.

If you are into taking photography of illuminated signage, then once the Coliseum is open again, there are some good shots to be had. Hopefully it dill rise like a Phoenix!

Reviewed December 24, 2014

I just felt its not that big of a deal! Yes it's pretty, it's "different" from what we normal see, but the chairs in concert hall, are uncomfortable and I believe that it's not very preserved which is sad of course.... Because the potential is obvious!

I would come back of course, but I don't believe the building it self is was good was its advertised.

Reviewed December 9, 2014

A great venue in the heart of Porto. I watched concerts, ballet, cinema and many other shows in there throughout the years. This is a must go for any Porto lover. It's really magic. I think it's possible to visit it with a guide that shows all its "secrets". I only been there to watch shows but maybe one day I'll do that also.

1  Thank Filipe L
Reviewed May 26, 2014

One of the most beautiful concert halls in Portugal. If you are in Porto and have the possibility to go there to see a concert don't miss it.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Coliseu do Porto is a theatre in Porto. Together with the nearby (but unfortunately abandoned) Batalha Cinema, the Coliseu is a very good example of Portuguese Streamline Moderne and Art Deco. Construction started in 1937 and the building was declared finished in 1941.

The project was a result of the collaboration between Jan Wils (Netherlands) and several Portuguese architects (Cassiano Branco, José Porto and Júlio José de Brito).

In 1995 the building was nearly sold to a Brazilian Church (Universal Church of the Kingdom of God). However, the people of Porto were not fond of this idea. A mass demonstration sparked an intervention that prevented the deal to take place. The venue was handed over to a group of citizens that, still today, manages the Coliseu as a cultural venue. In 1996 a fire destroyed part of the venue. Rebuilt over a very short period, it showed some limitations and the venue suffered new interventions in 1997 and 1998. It was officially reopened in November 1998.

The Rua Passos Manuel and the nearby streets show an abundance of art deco buildings. Check them!
The opposite Maus Habitos allows good views on and photo opportunities of the Coliseu building.

3  Thank Veleiro