“Nice concert hall”
Review of Coliseu do Porto

Coliseu do Porto
Ranked #4 of 13 Concerts & Shows in Porto
Reviewed February 15, 2016

Coliseu has been around for decades but it needs improvements, especially the seatings. Despite that, it's the biggest stage in Porto centre.

Date of experience: February 2016

Reviewed June 9, 2015

We went to Porto on 22nd May 2015 for 9 days. The Coliseum do Porto was open for the first few days that we were there, but we noticed that the poster advertising what acts were coming up stopped at the end of May 2015. Sure enough, the poster was taken down and it looks as though workmen have moved in!

The Coliseum is one of those buildings from the 20s and 30s which are all over Porto - though I think they are ugly, my husband does not and they probably would be listed elsewhere. Nethertheless, I am pleased that this venue is being done up. It is clearly a landmark in Porto as you see it on a lot of directional signage, and as pedestrians it certainly helped us find our way back to our apartment.

That this has been an important musical venue in Porto for decades is clearly seen from the number of Franchesina ( speciatilty Porto toastie) joints opposite it, which were packed out and had queues every night of the week. On the last night that there was an event on in the Coliseum, it was heaving down the street where it is.

If you are into taking photography of illuminated signage, then once the Coliseum is open again, there are some good shots to be had. Hopefully it dill rise like a Phoenix!

Date of experience: May 2015
Reviewed December 24, 2014

I just felt its not that big of a deal! Yes it's pretty, it's "different" from what we normal see, but the chairs in concert hall, are uncomfortable and I believe that it's not very preserved which is sad of course.... Because the potential is obvious!

I would come back of course, but I don't believe the building it self is was good was its advertised.

Date of experience: November 2014
Reviewed December 9, 2014

A great venue in the heart of Porto. I watched concerts, ballet, cinema and many other shows in there throughout the years. This is a must go for any Porto lover. It's really magic. I think it's possible to visit it with a guide that shows all its "secrets". I only been there to watch shows but maybe one day I'll do that also.

Date of experience: January 2014