Review Highlights
Art Deco Theatre

Reviewed June 1, 2017
Nikhil_A_Pai
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
A great performance arts builiding

Reviewed April 30, 2017

from US$16.50
from US$64.80
from US$111.90
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 1, 2017

Not as pretty as the National Theatre nearby, but the Coliseum do Porto offers some nice concerts at very reasonable princes. Helpful staff too.

Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

"Coliseu do Porto" is celebrating its 75th anniversary in 2017. It is an historic building that has been in the heart of Porto's people. Here one can enjoy music concerts, ballet, watch movies, etc.

This time I came here with family to see my nephew's Ballet school performance. It is a nice venue which entails an almost professional production with a group of ballet schools that perform a ballet story. It is very enjoyable to watch with children from the age of 3 or 4 years through to teenagers. Every year the principal ballet school tutor sets up a great ballet production.

Coliseu is a great place to come to and attend music concerts, classic music performances, ballet or modern dance productions.

Reviewed January 7, 2017 via mobile

We went to the Coliseu on Thursday 5th to watch the Nutcracker (Russian ballet) . The performance was fantastic but personally I could not enjoy the 2nd part due to the freezing cold. I watched the rest of the audience trying to keep warm, too. Whoever would consider going to the ballet and put on gloves, scarves, boots, etc. Had I known it would be an 'open-air' performance, I wouldn't set foot on that place. The two dots go to the exceptionally friendly staff.

1  Thank lena131165
Reviewed February 15, 2016

Coliseu has been around for decades but it needs improvements, especially the seatings. Despite that, it's the biggest stage in Porto centre.

Reviewed June 9, 2015

We went to Porto on 22nd May 2015 for 9 days. The Coliseum do Porto was open for the first few days that we were there, but we noticed that the poster advertising what acts were coming up stopped at the end of May 2015. Sure enough, the poster was taken down and it looks as though workmen have moved in!

The Coliseum is one of those buildings from the 20s and 30s which are all over Porto - though I think they are ugly, my husband does not and they probably would be listed elsewhere. Nethertheless, I am pleased that this venue is being done up. It is clearly a landmark in Porto as you see it on a lot of directional signage, and as pedestrians it certainly helped us find our way back to our apartment.

That this has been an important musical venue in Porto for decades is clearly seen from the number of Franchesina ( speciatilty Porto toastie) joints opposite it, which were packed out and had queues every night of the week. On the last night that there was an event on in the Coliseum, it was heaving down the street where it is.

If you are into taking photography of illuminated signage, then once the Coliseum is open again, there are some good shots to be had. Hopefully it dill rise like a Phoenix!