“Absolutely Loved This Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Ridge

Sugar Ridge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Jolly Harbour
Ipswich,UK
“Absolutely Loved This Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

Just to explain we have stayed in quite a few All-inclusive resorts and this is the smallest.
We stayed for 10 nights for our friends 50th Birthday,we had 2 rooms.All I need to say is don't listen to those complaining as we could not fault anything,except the weather and you cannot blame staff for that.
Yes it is set up on a cliff and not on the beach,but you do get a shuttle run via Vaughan(he's great)to 3 different beaches,we visited Gibsons & Nest,Nest was our favourite.We ate at both beaches and the food was good,Nest was just a bit better,but that's a personal thing.
The rooms were nice we had King plunge pool rooms & couldn't fault them,the rooms had a seaview.
The quality of the food was excellent,there is a good choice at the Sugar Club Restaurant & up at Carmichael's,both had specials of the day which you must try.I still think my Favourite dishes were the coconut shredded shrimps & the Crab lump Cakes.So much of the food is pepared in-house,the soups,bread rolls,pizzas and they've started to make their own jam.As mentioned we went AI and it was definately worth it.We ate at Carmichael's quite a few times,yes there are supplements for certain dishes,but not all and it isn't much for what you are getting.
Their is a good range of drinks available and quite a few decent brands are included,Jack Daniels being one which is normally a premium at other resorts.
If ever we had to ask for anything it was never a problem and the service was quick,you sometimes build up for a little wait as we have experienced before at other resorts in the Caribbean and it would be done,not that we were ever in a rush as we were just relaxing,and you certainly do that here.
The Aveda Spa is really good & visited it a few times,never used the gym but it seemed popular.
Keith is the General Manager and he comes round to get to know the guests,very approachable.
All the staff were great,you do get a few characters and those stay with your memories,they are a few quiet staff but they were just as helpfull.
There is a lovely infinity pool by Carmichael's giving you lovely views,drinks are served from 3pm,but you can get a drink beforehand if the staff are present.
There are mosquitos & the hotel do go around spraying,just take some OFF repellant with you if you suffer.
We visited Nelson's Dockyard again and went back up to Shirley Heights for the views,both worth a visit.
I could just go on,if you do like Hot Sauce then the Head Chef Marvis(who also likes to meet guests) makes a great sauce,you have to ask for it,highly recommended.
If you want to ask me any questions please feel free to and I'll try and help.
Overall it is a wonderfull resort,and wonderfull Staff who really make a difference,we will definately return.

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank skeeter68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

The Sugar Ridge is a classy yet practical resort located on the West side of the island of Antigua, 30 min drive from VC international airport. We really had a great stay at the resort! The highlights were its location, the large and beautiful room and the great service.

I thought the food (Sugar Club) was very good for an all inclusive. We particularly liked the mahi mahi (available on the seafood nights only) and the sesame seeds crusted tuna (available every day, lunch and dinner). The desserts - the pineapple bread pudding in particular - were very good and worth trying.

As I mentioned, the service was very attentive: we stayed at the Sugar Ridge with our young daughters and the staff were really patient and tried to accommodate all our needs and wishes.

Our room was large and had a view as great as the one enjoyed from the celebrated Carmichael's Restaurant.

If I had to find something wrong with the Sugar Ridge it would be the AC which was a bit noisy for my taste. But I am probably a bit too sensitive to noise. As for the Sushi menu go for the sashimi, the sushi rice they used when we tried sushi was so sweet we couldn't finish our rolls.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the rooms in the last cottage at the end of the path. It was really quiet and th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank palmerop
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

When planning our wedding, my husband and I were looking for a beautiful destination where were could have an intimate ceremony for just the two if us. Sugar Ridge Resort in Antigua was the perfect location and we are beyond pleased with our selection. Our ceremony took place at the highest elevation of Sugar Ridge with breathtaking views. It was beautiful and everything we had hoped!

The rooms at Sugar Ridge are very modern, clean and have large balconies. For an additional charge, you can upgrade to one of the 4 rooms at the top of the hill which have outstanding panoramic views. We opted for this upgrade and were really happy with our choice. Our room was the farthest point from the resort lobby & the Sugar Club. We’ve read other online reviews where people complained about this distance. It was not an issue for us. We walked half the time and called for a cart to pick us up the other half. It was really easy and we enjoyed both options. The walk is a bit steep so we would recommend using the cart service at night.

The food was excellent! I don’t think we had a meal we didn’t enjoy. We opted for All Inclusive and felt that we got our money’s worth between meals and drinks from the bar. Some menu items have a supplemental charge, but the majority is fully covered within the All Inclusive plan. We also enjoyed a few lunches at the nearby beaches and thought it was great that the AI plan covered us there as well. Gibson’s beach had great burgers.

Both hotel pools are very nice. The infinity pool by Carmichaels was our favorite. It’s a great place to watch the sunset. The balcony of our room had a plunge pool but we never actually used it. The water was pretty cold and we were never in the room during the day.

Overall, it was a wonderful trip and we highly recommend Sugar Ridge. We really enjoyed the friendly staff and felt that we received great service. We loved that it was a smaller resort with a very peaceful setting. It was a perfect place for our wedding and honeymoon. We hope to return for an upcoming anniversary.

Recommended activities:
• Vaugh’s nature hike
• Shirley Heights Sunday night party
• Take the hotel shuttle to the nearby beaches for the afternoon

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kristina L
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

To decompress from our Wedding adventure, we choose Antigua as our honeymoon getaway. And thank you Sugar Ridge for making this one of our most relaxing and beautiful vacations. From the moment we arrived at Sugar Ridge the service was great. We had a bell hop named Kevin that drove us up to our room and even made recommendations for us to have fun that evening. He recommended we go to Shirley's Hilltop on the Sunday that we arrived, and boy did we have a blast there!! From that moment on we befriended this bell hop and he had several other recommendations of things we should do and see while on the Island.

The Hotel itself is so peaceful and tranquil we loved the rooms which all have a plunge pool on the balcony with a sitting area. The rooms are not huge but plenty of space for us two. The food at the restaurants is amazing, we ate at Carmichel's as well as the Sugar Club. Having the All Inclusive package was great too, there is plenty to choose from.

The driver that took us to the beach daily was also great! He even took us on a little tour of the surrounding neighborhood and showed us the plant that Loofas are made of.

We also enjoyed the Aveda spa treatments we got!

All in all we had an amazing time at sugar ridge in Antigua and have recommended it to many people and will continue to do so! Thanks staff at sugar ridge!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

I went to Antigua at the end of April for 5 days, just in time for the Classic Yacht Regatta and Sailing Week. This is a busy sailing time on the Island, but the tourist season is starting to die down as Hurricane season is just around the corner. You can find a pretty good value not only at this resort but across the island at this time of the year.

Traveling solo as a female is always iffy, but the staff at Sugar Ridge could not be more accommodating and reassuring. They were all friendly, polite and attentive. Prince makes a mean drink at the Sugar Club bar- definitely stop in to visit him! The hotel's complimentary breakfast was extremely delicious. If you are expecting a continental buffet, you will be pleasantly surprised by the made to order menu. The omelets, french toast, and pancakes were so amazing. Toast is topped with scrumptious guava jelly. And I have been craving the delicious pineapple guava juice I had each morning!

The Sugar Club is good for dinner (everything I had was delicious, especially the seared sesame crusted tuna... and the guava pecan cheesecake), but if you don't have the all-inclusive package, do yourself a favor and explore other resort's restaurants. Some of the more upscale resorts have amazing food options. The on-site Art Gallery was a great gem- different arts and crafts from local artists. I picked up a set of watercolors of big game fish at a great price. The resort has a nicely appointed gym and offers multiple exercise classes. I took a yoga class and although it was called power yoga, it was a more relaxed version of what I consider power yoga in the States.

The accommodations are nicely decorated. If I had to describe it, I'd say it feels modern Caribbean (or like a resort modeled after an Aveda store). I had a room with a plunge pool, but I only used it once. The chaise lounger on the veranda was used more often. The room did have a somewhat musty smell, not unlike what you find in many Florida hotels. Remember to bring bug spray, as the lush flora is fertile grounds for fire ants and mosquitos. The resort is situated on a hill, so be prepared for a bit of a climb. If you are healthy and in some shape, it is an extremely comfortable walk (although heels are not recommended! especially if you plan on walking up to Carmichael's!) The view of the sunset from the pool area at Carmichael's is one of the more beautiful sunset's I've seen in a long time.

I really enjoyed walking to Valley Church Beach and the Nest Beach Bar. It's about a 10 minute walk. Although the hotel offers a shuttle to this beach a few more on the southwestern part of the island, it was nice to have the flexibility to come and go to the beach as I wanted and not be tied down to a set time. Valley Church was sparsely populated each day I went... On one day, I got there at about 8:30 and had the entire beach to myself for a good hour and a half.

The only gripe I had was the location as it relates to cab fare- it was $40 from the hotel to English Harbour. If you are comfortable driving on the left side of the road and are used to less than stellar road conditions, I'd recommend you rent a car.

I know I'll be back to Antigua at some point. I'd highly recommend Sugar Ridge!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Michelle F
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

We spent 10 nights at Sugar Ridge. Our first two nights were spent at Blue Waters Hotel.
Sugar Ridge has a totally different feel and atmosphere.
On arrival I was a little disappointed with the setting of the hotel. It is set just off the road with a number of the rooms which are set in blocks of four overlooking the car park and restaurant area. Yes, there is a view of the sea in the not too far distance.

Our room was no 10 which overlooked the parking area. It had a plunge pool. The room was furnished with the four poster plus mosquito nets which are necessary to prevent bites. There are tea and coffee making facilities but it is done through a coffee machine and a pod system. A kettle would have been better.
The bed was large and comfortable with the softest pillows ever. A soft and a slightly firmer one would have been better. The space around the bed was good. I would have liked more hanging space and hangers.
The bathroom was well decorated although the towel rack was beginning to rust and there was a
crack on one of the bathroom windows.
The shower was problematic. The hot water was very erratic. We did mention this to Keith the manager as did another guest but it continued to frustrate throughout.
The balcony had a double sun bed which was very comfortable and a couple of chairs plus table. Ithe area was big enough for two even with the plunge pool on the balcony. The plunge pool was a disappointment. It was cloudy and very small. I wouldn't bother with this option.
The walk to the restaurant was down a path and steps but not too far. Lighting does need to be improved along the paths and on the steps.
The meals at sugar ridge were ok. We became bored with the breakfast options and the cooked items were satisfactory. The cooked items were never served hot.
Dinner was a little better but the menu needs to change maybe on a weekly basis. There are the occasional specials. Steak night was good. The fish in onion sauce delicious but the other meals were average.
Staff were cheerful particularly Sherwin. Service was sometime a little slow.
The cocktails were good.
The pianist that played in the cocktail bar was excellent.
Being fairly close to the restaurant noise was an issue in our room on some of the nights particularly Saturday when they have the disco and people from outside of the hotel attend. A lot of the noise was from people leaving the premises.
The pool area was very nice. On our last day Sherwin did a good job going round asking people what they would like to drink but on the other occasion we were there no one came out to see if anyone wanted drinks.
The beaches nearby are beautiful. We had a hire care and so we didn't use the shuttle service. I am not sure what happens when it suddenly starts to rain and you are on the beach with regard to getting back to the hotel.

Wifi in our room was very hit and miss and towards the end we just couldn't get it which was frustrating.

In summary, Sugar Ridge is a modern hotel with friendly staff. It is good for a short break but I wouldn't want to spend so long there again. I probably would choose a hotel on the beach next time.

Room Tip: If you have a mobility problem a room nearer the restaurant may be better but noise from the enterta...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Suefrombournemouth
keith2409_12, General Manager at Sugar Ridge, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Although you relate to some excellent pluses in your review I was very concerned to read about all the little negatives which crept in. Your remarks have been shared with all of the departments and steps have since been taken to address the issues which you raised. We were all sorry to read that we fell short of your expectations in delivering what should have been a wonderful Sugar Ridge experience for you entire stay and not just for a short break.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

I recently got back from ten nights at the Sugar Ridge. As soon as I arrived I started to relax, as the staff were so friendly, and as other reviewers have said, couldnt' have done enough to make you feel welcome. The rooms were stylishly done, and very peaceful. I loved walking back to my room along the pathways and through their lovely gardens, full of amazing flowers and birds (though the steps more lighting, but I think they're working on that). The staff were all so helpful, but particularly Marcia and Redayne on reception, Carleen in the restaurant, the lovely Israeli sugar club manager (didn't catch his name), and the great character that is Vorn. Eccentric and thoroughly likeable, his nature walk was a step into the rolling green countryside and local village that I otherwise wouldn't have seen. And I got to try three different mangos off trees. The breakfasts, (waitress service, not buffet), were excellent, though slightly inconsistant depending on what chef was on. Ie all inclusive deal sounded very generous, but 'm glad I took B & B only, as there are some great restaurants in the area, my favourite being 'Miracles', a tiny modern shack like place just near the hotel entrance. The owner/chef did the most amazing lobster and it was full of locals and tourists alike. I really enjoyed sunset rum punches up at Carmichaels,a beautiful spot. The other guests in the hotel were very nice and it was a friendly vibe, generally younger couples, independent travellers. As a woman travelling alone, I felt very safe staying there, and met two other women at the hotel, also alone, which is unusual. Antigua is my favourite Caribbean island so far and the hotel was hugely impressive - independent, not a chain, low key, stylish and well run.

Room Tip: In the gardens, around room 42
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
COCOS Hotel Antigua
#1 of 2 in Jolly Harbour
16.7 km away
St. James's Club & Villas

Been to Sugar Ridge? Share your experiences!