“Roof top restaurant and bar with amazing views”

Hotel Grande Bretagne, A Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 285 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Superb hotel in the centre of Athens. Roof top bar and restaurant. Excellent service and friendly smiling staff. The Prof and I were attending a conference for two days in this wonderful hotel. Roof top pool was rather a squash and bit disappointing so spend the time exploring the city and seeing the sights absorbi the Greek culture and architecture.
Advice - go to breakfast early to avoid queues. Roof top bar at 6.00 to enjoy the sun setting behind the acropolis.

Room Tip: Classic room was adequate facing cool central courtyard
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,538)

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This hotel is pure luxury and indulgence. The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed. We had a private check in with a glass of French champagne, a nice touch. Perfect location and first class service. The breakfast was fantastic with lots of options and variety which is constantly replenished. This is our second stay at the Grande Bretagne and it was just as wonderful as the first.

Reviewed 15 October 2017

We stayed here and we also stayed at the Electra Metropolis which is a two-minute walk away and, on the balance of things, I’d go back to the Metropolis over the Bretagne. That’s not a slam of this hotel (I gave them the same star rating) but between price, size of rooms, and pool view the Metropolis wins. The Bretagne, for sure, has more charm. It’s beautifully maintained but the older features/style means that the rooms are very dark (although the bathroom was by far the best I encountered anywhere in Greece). The service at the Bretagne was lovely and I do have to give credit to the pool bar staff who were unfailingly polite to one of the rudest guests I have ever seen in a hotel! But for price and pool lounging the Metropolis would be my future choice. The Bretagne is the kind of place that it’s nice to stay in once but you might not want to pay those prices too often! Little things, like burgers, were ridiculously expensive.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 October 2017

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights during a week trip to Greece (Athens & Santorini) and 2+ weeks in Italy. While all the hotels in which we stayed in both countries were very nice, the Hotel Grande Bretagne was superlative in every way. The staff members were especially accommodating, and the hotel is gorgeous.. Food at the 8th-floor restaurant was excellent with a stunning view of the Acropolis & Parthenon. Whether it was the concierge, the front desk staff, members of housekeeping or staff in the restaurants, every single one was so courteous, professional and genuinely nice. As a platinum guest, we appreciated the upgrade to a gorgeous suite -- you can rest assured that we'll be back and will recommend this hotel to friends and family. Thank you for a perfect stay.

Room Tip: A room with a balcony is a real plus
Reviewed 14 October 2017

What a beautiful view of the Acropolis at evening while eating delicious food! The service was excellent! There were 8 of us and we had the best spot in the restaurant. Wine was great. The orzo with lobster was a favorite.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Probably the only 5* hotel in Athens. Location is perfect.
A traditional and old building, tastefully decorated, comfortable rooms. Nice ambience and great common areas.
Pool is average... ( Royal Olympic 's pool is nicer)
Roof top bar and restaurant has great very nice views, but are a bit overpriced, since there are many rooftops with the same views and food is very good, but not WOW!! service is standard.

Room Tip: All rooms are really fully equipped an comfortable.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Jessica T
Reviewed 12 October 2017

My husband and I ended our 10 day Greece vacation with a stay at the Hotel Grande Bretagne. We booked the hotel using my husband's Marriott points (converted to SPG points). He's a platinum member of Marriott, so I was unsure of whether a stay using the points would give us the opportunity to receive an upgraded or room or not, but it did. We booked a standard room with the points (only type offered with points) and upon check in we were told we had been upgraded to a suite.

The room was classically decorated and very spacious. We had a complimentary bottle of Ouzo and some olives waiting for us. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was large and spacious. It had a beautiful tub that I would have tried out had we stayed longer. The towels were very large and plush, which I always appreciate.

The hotel is located in a very convenient part of Athens. We opted for a double decker hop on/hop off bus tour since we weren't going to be there long, and the first stop is at the corner of the block that the hotel is on, which made it very nice. The hotel is within walking distance of several quick places to eat.

The service from the hotel staff was very good. After check in we were given a tour of our room from someone at the front desk. I'm not sure if they do that for everyone or if it had anything to do with my husband's platinum status or not, but it was very nice to have. I only noted that because a recent reviewer said that no room orientation was given. We had another occasion to work with the front desk staff when my husband mistakenly ordered a "spa gift" while he was clicking around on the tv to see what services were available. He received an email saying his "gift" would arrive shortly and unaware that he ordered anything, he went down to the front desk and they took care of it and canceled it. I was unsure of whether they would be willing to do so or not, but they did without question.

We had breakfast at the Roof Top restaurant and the view is beautiful. We were offered a complimentary Continental buffet and my only complaint is that the complimentary buffet included everything except the hot dishes, eggs, meat, potatoes. We stayed at 2 other hotels (a Marriott and another SPG) during our vacation to Greece and at both of those hotels, the complimentary breakfast included everything. I'm not sure why at Hotel Grande Bretagne that it was different.

Overall I think it was a great experience and would stay there again. We didn't have an opportunity to use the pool or spa, so I can't rate those. In closing, I would say it is a very elegant hotel and we both enjoyed our stay.