“Awesome views westward”
Review of Hilton Athens

Ranked #17 of 281 Hotels in Athens
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Be sure to ask for a west-facing room on a high floor. I celebrated my birthday here on the balcony overlooking the Acropolis. Unforgettable.

And check out the cool glass sculpture in the square just outside.

Room Tip: Ask for a west-facing room... view is awesome
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
athbart, General Manager at Hilton Athens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2012

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for having chosen the Hilton Athens for your stay.

Guest satisfaction is our primary concern and we are delighted to learn that your visit was an unforgettable one.

Look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2012

In late May I have stayed a few nights at the Hilton Athens and I want now to share with you my personal impressions of this place.

Location
=======
The Hilton Athens is located in the chic Kolonaki neighborhood of Athens with many embassies and nice, upscale residential apartment blocks around. There are not many shops or restaurants near the hotel however.

The Hilton Athens is located near the Evangelismos underground station from where you can easily get by train to the airport. That will cost you 8 Euros (one way) and the journey will take approx. 35 to 40 minutes. When arriving from the airport at Evangelismos station, first take the right hand exit and once already outside the metro station turn left and within about 3 walking minutes you will see the Hilton on the other side of a busy intersection. The walkway to the hotel is a bit bumpy so watch out when traveling with a laptop in your trolley.

The Hilton is located on two busy inner city highways. If you want to walk to the central Syntagma square area, you better take the diagonal road that leads away from the hotel (and not the one that directly passes by the hotel’s main entrance. In case of doubt just ask a staff member). It takes about 20 leisurely minutes to get to Syntagma square. Late at night I recommend the very inexpensive taxis instead. Just watch the taximeter and that the driver doesn’t add any fictitious charges to the tally.

Room
=====
I’ve booked a standard guest room which was a bit on the smaller side and did not come with a balcony. The windows could not be opened but the air conditioning worked fine.

The room design was chic and functional at the same time. The bathroom was very nice with good quality towels, beautiful fittings, a good shower stall and a very nice bath tub. They were a bit thrifty regarding shampoo and soap however. Especially for elderly people probably interesting is that there was an emergency button in the bath room.

The bed was comfy and the pillows adequate. One of the pillows showed some small, dark spots and was consequently put away by me but as the hotel provided six pillows that was no big problem. Otherwise the room and the whole hotel were very clean. The unimpressive, very small LCD TV set had the usual local and international news channels available.

Facilities
=======
A major reason why I had booked the hotel was because it has a heated indoor swimming pool which I enjoyed using in the mornings and the evenings.

Access to the indoor pool was free to silver and higher level members of the Hilton HHonors hotel loyalty program. However, as I only occasionally stay at Hilton hotels I had to pay 15 Euros per day to get access to this indoor pool and the gym. The indoor pool is very nice, almost as nice as on the photos you will find on the web.

An issue I have with the pool is its design: If you like lane swimming (as I do) you will have trouble doing so as for one there are several supporting pillars standing in the water which narrows the options to swim a straight line and also at both ends there are obstacles such as a water fountain and stairs to climb over the transparent acrylic wall of the pool. The water temperature was 84 degrees Fahrenheit (29 degrees Celsius) which I found to be more than sufficient, actually personally I would have preferred it slightly colder. When using the indoor pool you have to use a bathing cap. The shower cap they give you for free looks stupid so better bring your personal one to Greece.

The hotel has also a huge outdoor pool (and a smaller children’s pool). It is open from 9 am until I believe 6 pm. It is not heated and only open from May until - I believe - October. As the outdoor pool is strictly available to hotel guests only, they do check sometimes whether you are actually staying at the hotel, so better don’t forget your room number when taking a sunbath by the pool. The outdoor pool is located next to a busy intersection and the traffic noise coming from there (honking, engaging the gear, breaking …) could clearly be heard by the pool. There’s a nice pool bar with a good food / snack selection (check out the very creative menu card).

The main breakfast room was OK. The food available was of good quality and the place itself is nice enough. Coffee and tea is being served by a waiter but during peak breakfast hours it can take a few minutes before you get anything hot to drink. Also, one morning at 8 am I had trouble finding an available table as the place was packed, especially with some conference participants.

The Galaxy bar on the roof was great! You have a fantastic vista over large parts of Athens, including the Acropolis. They open at 6 pm and they stay open until 3 or 4 o’clock in the morning. They have a complete selection of beverages and drinks and they also serve some small snacks like sushi. The elevator gets you in 2 seconds or so from the ground floor to the roof – one of the fastest hotel elevators I’ve seen so far.

People
======
The majority of the fellow guests appeared to have been business travelers though one could also spot the occasional tourist here and there. I believe that an average sightseeing tourist who just needs a place to sleep before heading out to visit the museums and so on will not really get that much out of this hotel. It is more suitable to those travelers who intend to actually use this hotel as a home away from home base and who enjoy its restaurants, bars, pools and other facilities.

The service level at the Hilton Athens was good, but not consistent. I have met some cheerful, super friendly employees (e.g., the bartender team at the Galaxy bar or one particular person at the front desk of the Hiltonia spa) and then there were some others who I found weren’t really excessively accommodating (e.g., someone in charge of the outdoor pool or another staff member at the Hiltonia spa).

Check-in and –out was quick and efficient.

Value for Money
=============
I have paid 113 Euros incl. breakfast and taxes per night. I think that doesn’t sound that expensive. However, as some other reviewers have already pointed out, it is the extras that make the hotel costly.

But look: when someone books a room at the Hilton he or she should know beforehand that this stay will be more expensive than, say, and alternative stay at an average four star hotel. Also, as most people these days check out sites like TripAdvisor before making a hotel booking, it should be clear that one shouldn’t book this hotel if one cannot (or does not want to) pay 13 US Dollars for a glass of beer (same price as at the world famous Alexander's bar at the deluxe Hotel Grande Bretagne on Syntagma square by the way) or 20 USD for access to the gym. In the end, you get what you pay for: an excellent though expensive hotel.

If half stars were an option, I would rate my stay at the Hilton with 4 ½ stars but as TripAdvisor doesn’t allow that I am generous and give it 5 stars.

I hope you have found my report thorough and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank my_traveler

Dear Sir,

Thank you for selecting the Hilton Athens for your stay here in May and for taking the time to share your comments and impressions with us.

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your visit and were satisfied with the facilities and services rendered. It is very rewarding to know that your expectations were met in both terms of comfort and quality of service.

All your points have been taken into serious consideration and reviewed with my team.

Do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 1 June 2012

This was our second visit to the Athens Hilton within two years. Used HHonors points both times as a Diamond HHonors member. Received Acropolis view room the first time and a 2 room suite on the execuitve level the second time. Both rooms were clean, comfortable and quiet.

This hotel has a great location, away from possible trouble around the Parliament building. This is a moder, contemporary hotel with several restaurants.

The staff is exceptional. We dealt mostly with the concierge staff. The "E's" (all the young women that worked the concierge lounge had a first name that began with an E) were just terrifiic. Happy, helpful, caring. They also remembered our names from 2 years ago.

When visiting Greece, there is no option for us but to come back to the Hilton and enjoy the excellent customer service and modern facilities of this great hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid using the business center computers; they are outrageosly expensive.

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for selecting the Hilton Athens for your stay.

We were delighted to learn that you enjoyed your visit, the services rendered, the hotel's location but more importantly the friendly and professional attitude of our Front Desk team. Please rest assured that your input has been much appreciated by my colleagues.

Do look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel on your next visit to Athens. Once again, thank you for the loyalty you show towards us.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stayed at the Hilton Hotel, Athens Greece.
Fortunately we were upgraded to the executive level where we were treated with outstanding service including complementary breakfast, snacks and drink all day, and then cocktails looking across the city to the acropolis.
We dined at the rooftop - Galaxy. Outstanding views and service - price on the high side, but worth it - the convenience, quality of food and the venue.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay on the side facing the acropolis

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for posting your comments after your stay with us here at the Hilton Athens.

It was a pleasure to see that your visit was an enjoyable one and we do greatly appreciate your kind input regarding the level of facilities and services rendered.

Look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Athens.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

We stay for 3 nights in there, the room was ok for me. The space of room is big for me, but there are some black lines in the wooden floor, which didn't not seems to be comfort.
The bathroom was good enough, the view from the room was ok as well.
The breakfast selection was great, the food is nice, thumbs up!
Staff are friendly and helpful.

But a little fallback is no free wifi available in hotel, you have to pay for it.
No free TV available as well, payment is needed.
A little far from the city area, have to walk 30 minute to get in town, or take Metro Train.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for taking the time to send us your comments regarding your stay here at the Hilton Athens.

It was a pleasure to note that the general impression of your visit was positive, your valuable input has been shared with my team.

We do hope we will have more opportunities in future to welcome you back.

Reviewed 30 May 2012

Just stayed for one night. Check-in staff were very helpful and accommodating. Room and bed comfortable, got a good night's sleep - nice and quite, although my travelling companion in another room complained that she was kept awake by a crying baby, so I guess the walls are quite thin! Food was extremely good, but a little expensive. Drinks expensive too - over 6 Euros for a litre of water in your room seems like a lot. Overall a good experience though, and I would stay here again

Room Tip: You can see the Acropolis if you're on the right side of the hotel - ask for this if view is imp...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business

Dear Sir/Madame,

Many thanks for choosing the Hilton Athens for your recent stay.

Your positive feedback has been communicated to my colleagues. We thank you for this.

In reference to some of our prices being high, kindly please note that these are in line with all other deluxe hotels in Athens. However, thank you for having brought this to our attention.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back here at the Hilton Athens in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I took the time to read all the recent comments and I totally agree with the positive ones. The Hilton is Athens is a great place with great service, brilliant location and pleasant rooms. I believe it is a mirror image of the worldwide known Hilton standard.
However, I cannot disagree more with the negative comments - all the staff members are very professional and polite, I don't think they should laugh hysterically all the time, so that the guests would feel more welcome. There were a lot of disapproving comments regarding the prices. Well, this is a Hilton and the prices are approximately as high everywhere in the world. Let's not forget that these are 5 * hotels. I can quote at least 10 Hiltons - at less attractive locations in Europe that have exactly the same prices. It is a worldwide Hilton policy that the internet is not free and many guests go to the Starbucks or don't use it- so get over it(or go to Starbucks).
I believe that Hilton Athens is a pure example of what a 5 star property should be - luxurious and welcoming.

Room Tip: In case the noise from the street is too loud - just close the bloody window!

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Athens for your stay!

It is very rewarding to know that your expectations were met both in terms of comfort and quality of service and that we had the opportunity to contribute to a memorable stay.

Your positive feedback has been shared with my colleagues and we thank you for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back and extend once again the warm hospitality that our guests have come to expect from us over the years.