Hotel Acropolis House
  • Restaurant
    Omiros Hotel(Athens)
    Hermes Hotel(Athens)
    • Breakfast included
    All reviewsno elevatorgreat locationsyntagma squarefamily run hotelsingle bedfirst flooryour luggagefriendly hotelairport busfew minutes walkthe breakfast areamain sitesreception areahotel staffsmall hotelstreet noiseon foot
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 5 January 2012

Others have commented on the great location--and it is. The hotel is no more noisy than any other place on a small street in Athens, and that shouldn't stop you from enjoying it. The small balconies (if you request one) give you a chance to survey part of Athens from your room. The folks behind the desk--at every hour we talked to them--were always cheerful, informative and very helpful. Greece is going through some rough times, and Athens isn't my most favorite destination, but this is where I'd return because of the location, comfort, price and great staff.

2  Thank Grayontheroad
    Reviewed 15 November 2011

Hotel is on quiet street, 2 blocks from Plaka. Staff was friendly & helpful, espeically Jasmine, who had a great sense of humor and efficiency, even during the crazy strike times when we were there. Ask for the honeymoon room! (Balcony view of Acropolis).

2  Thank VSK_11_11
    Reviewed 23 October 2011

The location was great. The room was fine (and a good value for the money). But the noise from about 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. was too much and would likely keep me from staying here again.

As budget travelers, we booked this hotel because it seemed to be in a good location, and it was. It was right in the heart of the Plaka, easy to find from Syntagma if you come in on the subway. It was only a few minutes walk from restaurants and the main drags.

The room itself was OK, about what I'd expect for a budget hotel. It was small but clean and functional (though it had one of those showers common throughout Europe that has only a small divider between the shower and rest of the bathroom meaning if the drain is even the slightest bit slow (which this one was) you have to stop the shower occassionally to avoid making the rest of the bathroom floor wet. But maybe that's just an American preference to have a barrier between the shower and rest of the bathroom floor ...

The noise, however, at this hotel was no good. We had a room on the first floor, which at first I was happy about because we didn't want to lug our suitcases with two weeks worth of clothes up the stairs. But our room was directly across from the kitchen and from 7 a.m. to 10:30 all we heard were clanging of dishes. I'm usually a pretty good sleeper but couldn't sleep through it. If we had been staying for more than one morning I would have wanted to switch rooms or hotels. If you are planning on being up by 7 a.m. anyway this won't be a problem for you, but if you want to get off to a slower start, you might have some trouble. I don't know if the noise was as bad in other parts of the hotel, so you might also try asking for a room elsewhere in the hotel, but I personally, probably wouldn't risk it again.

Also, one more tip. If you stay at this hotel or near it, I'd recommend taking the X95 bus from Syntagma square to the airport rather than spending money on a cab. It was cheap, comfortable and efficient. Be careful on the subway. Someone tried to rob me when I was traveling from the airport to Syntagma with all my luggage, and I'm not sure I would take the subway again with my suitcases.

5  Thank twoweeksayear
    Reviewed 10 September 2011

Acropolis House is in an excellent location on the edge of the Plaka and within easy walking distance of Syntagma Square. Kodrou Street being pedestrian only is relatively quiet. However taxis can still get quite close to the door, at the intersection with Nikodimou Street.
    Front staff are friendly and helpful (all speak good English).
    My room was clean and comfortable with a balcony overlooking Kodrou street and a nice view of the Acropolis around the corner. Bathroom was separate off the passage.
    Wi Fi was available in the lounge area but not from the bedroom.
    The breakfast is rather basic, particularly compared with other places I stayed in Greece, and the breakfast staff did not make any effort to serve me quickly me the first morning when I needed to catch a tour bus and didn't have much time (so I left a little hungry).
    However I enjoyed everything else.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
    2  Thank RobtP
    Reviewed 7 September 2011

Acropolis House is located one block away from Plaka. The hotel has two parts which I got to find out by chance. I had booked a quadruple room. Upon check in, I was given a triple room with a “cot” (an extra holding bed, quite uncomfortable; no place even to move in the room). I talked to the receptionist. He apologised repeteadly, but said I had to wait till the following morning to work out the problem, as the hotel was fully booked which could have been so as it was summer time.
    The room was VERY old, which I guess is usual in Athens. Afterwards I found out that the building was more than 100 years old!
    The next morning, I talked to another receptionist who was a bit more relunctant to solve the incovenience. However, irritated and disappointed as I was, I firmly claimed I wanted another room as my 21-year-old son had slept uncomfortably. After insisting very much and very hard (the hotel receptionist tried to make it seem as if I was getting a “deal”) I ended up negociating two rooms for the four of us, on the newer wing of the hotel (that is how I came across it!).
    These rooms had nothing to do with the previous one, and I was told the price of those rooms was higher than the one I had booked. I do believe so as they were much better and newer.
    The checking out day 7 euros were reduced from the original booking price because of my insistence about the discomfort of the first night. I DID value the changing of the rooms as I was travelling with my children and it was their first time in Europe. I personally love Greece and its people, and I wanted my children to take a good impression of this warm people.

On the good side: every room has its own fridge, which is very useful. Air com Works properly.
    Breakfast was simple but good and fresh: coffee, tea, milk, bread, jam, olives (Brown by the owner), oranges, eggs.
    Free wi – fi in the lobby area.
    The staff was very efficient and warm as Greek people are.

All in all, I personally find it a bit pricy.
    I would stay there provided I Could have a room in the newer part of Acropolis House.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer part of the hotel!
    • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family