Open today: 9:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Ways to Experience Athens Insiders
from US$577.06
from US$160.42
from US$235.44
from US$244.68
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed June 11, 2019

We are so grateful we were assigned as our tour guide Nota, a brilliant, young, engaging, friendly, extremely erudite archeologist who speaks English, French and of course Greek. Our heads are still spinning (in a positive way) from the amount of knowledge she imparted during our family’s private day tour of the Acropolis, it’s museum (could have spent a whole day there), the Agora, a walk through the Plaka and a quick but fun car ride in the city. Really, this woman knows so much about every period of Ancient Greece — it’s architecture; politics; culture; family life; gods; art, etc etc. The tour wasn’t inexpensive, but because of Nota it was well worth it.

1  Thank ngs1994
Reviewed June 11, 2019

My family spent 5 hours with George and he delivered an authentic and educational tour of Athens from a chef's perspective. Trained as a biologist and from a medical family, George decided he wanted to become a chef and now he is loving life. Think of a young and handsome Greek Anthony Bourdain - he teaches you about the food through the history and culture of Athens. We were six people including a child with Celiac disease. When we did the olive oil tasting with fresh Greek bread, he brought my daughter six little spoons so she could have the whole experience with the rest of us. He is fluent in English and knows the entire history of Greece from ancient times to modern days. You won't get the romantic version, he is brutally honest and his frank honesty is refreshing in a politically correct world. One important point - he does not make a commission from the proprietors on the places he takes you. You're seeing the best of Athens. He doesn't stick to a planned tour. He will take you on detours based on what you are interested in - like for us buying high end olive oils and other Greek culinary delights. He made our local dinner reservations, wrote down wines to order at dinner, and warned us about all the tourist traps in Athens. This is a MUST DO activity for your vacation in Athens. Ask for George!

3  Thank bobpotter50
Reviewed June 8, 2019

I traveled to Greece with my parents, husband, and mother-in-law. This was scheduled for the last day prior to leaving back home and this was one of the best tours while in Greece!

Giannis (which I hope is the right spelling) picked us up at our hotel in Athens and the long drive to Mycanae, Nafplio and Corinth. The van was well appointed with rain poncho, wet wipes, snacks, maps for each person in the van. Giannis is a great conversationalist, intelligent, with a ton of information about Greece in general.

At two of the stops, Epidaurus and Mycenae we had a guide dedicated for these two locations.

My favorite (not only seeing the historic sites), but our lunch in Nafplio a gorgeous city and delicious seafood! My mother-in-law even tried octopus for the very first time and loved the taste and texture (which can be difficult with octopus!).

The total time of the tour is about 9 hours. The sites can be difficult to navigate (meaning uphills and a ton of steps). The parents all opted out of some part of the tours because of the navigation of steps and uphill.

Overall, I highly recommend this tour - all of us really enjoyed the sites and Giannis made this truly a highlighted tour of Greece!

Date of experience: May 2019
Reviewed June 5, 2019

Our family did a private food tour with George. We were ages 21-80 and everyone loved it! We learned so much and he took us to great restaurants and the market. I highly recommend you ask for George and take this tour!

Reviewed June 2, 2019

Having this tour was definitely worth it, as I got to see the little corners of Athens by the eye of a local. The tour started with the visit to the Acropolis, one of the wonders of Greece, and continued with a walk around the centre of Athens with an insightful local. Walking around the centre, I got to try amazing delicacies and understand more about the food culture of Greece. I would definitely recommend this tour to anyone who is visiting Greece for the first time and wants to have a unique experience.

Date of experience: May 2019