All reviews syntagma square great location rooms are basic but clean family owned hotel within walking distance yogurt hadrian's library budget hotel athens hotels hot water favorite hotel street noise comfortable hotel small bathroom visit athens minute walk would stay here again
Reviewed June 11, 2016

I visit Athens just about every summer, staying for a couple of weeks. I have tried various hotels over the years; the Nefeli is my favorite. It is in a safe area; it is very clean; the staff is very hospitable and helpful. And as others have said, the location is hard to beat. In the historic residential area of Plaka, among neoclassical houses in various conditions, and tucked between narrow and therefore quiet streets, it is within walking distance of many of the sites most worth visiting (about a ten-minute walk to the Acropolis Museum and a nice stroll down Hadrian Street to other classical sites) and also very close to the Syntagma metro station.
The hotel has improved over the years. It has always had good hot water and very good cleaning of rooms (including fresh towels; I don't understand complaints about that!) but now rooms have been freshly painted and the bathrooms refurbished so taking a shower is better than ever (not water shooting around the bathroom!) and there is plenty of room on shelves above the sink for toiletries.
As for the staff, the owners know Greece and the various transportation systems very well and are a great source of advice for trips within and outside of Athens. The staff serves guests a good breakfast in a cheerful room on the first floor (a lot more sanitary than a buffet! I feel like I've reached a safe haven whenever I stay at the Nefeli. I hope to keep staying there for years to come!

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank Amymone
Reviewed May 22, 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a couple of days. Reception was very friendly and helpful! No issues with the place and service doing our stay, towels and sheets as well as toiletries were changed daily. Breakfast was always a breeze coupled with warm greetings from the staff. All in all no issues with this hotel! Would stay here again given the good location and great service. Cheers from Malaysia! - Zack & Nicky.

Date of stay: May 2016
Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank Zack L
Reviewed April 1, 2016 via mobile

In our room was disgusting smell. Old furniture, dirty walls. Forget about changing of towels. The bathroom was awful with running water. Breakfast better take in the nearest tavern. I don't like this hotel, However it's close to the Acropolis.

Date of stay: March 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NefeliHotelPlaka, Owner at Hotel Nefeli, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2016

Dear Juliet P,

Thank you for your recent stay at Nefeli hotel. I am glad that you found our hotel’s location convenient. Indeed it is situated in Plaka, the old district of Athens, which is very close to Acropolis.
We just went through a soft refurbishment, which included the painting of the walls, so I am very surprised that you found our walls dirty. I can guarantee you that our housekeeping team cleans the rooms daily, refresh them and change the towels. I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations. As far as it concerns the breakfast, we offer an enriched continental breakfast with yogurt, juice and other items which usually are not offered from 2 stars hotels, I am also sorry you didn’t enjoy it.

I do hope if you ever visit Athens in the future you will select again our hotel due to the location and I hope that next time we will be able to serve you better.

Best regards,
Tasos Kanellopoulos

Reviewed February 17, 2016

It was located very close to the acropolis and we could walk everything in the city centre. The receptionists are very friendly and the breakfast was served lovely. The rooms are pretty big and the air conditioning worked great. They have an elevator. I would totally recommend this hotel because the price-performance-value is perfect.

Date of stay: February 2016
Reviewed February 2, 2016

The hotel is located at a very central point. In the heart of Plaka. It has all the basic features and clean. Breakfast is better than I expected ( I was expecting a simple croissant and coffee). The rooms are clean and very simple. The only minus point about this hotel was the hollow gap under the closets which caused a cold air circulation in winter. The staff and the owners are very friendly. There is no computer at the hotel so if you plan to make online checkin, you will not be able to get a paper printout.

Room tip: Budget hotel ay Plaka
Date of stay: January 2016