“Really great holiday”
Review of Coral Hotel

Coral Hotel
Ranked #9 of 95 Hotels in Agios Nikolaos
Reviewed 29 August 2011

What a great hoilday we had, the hotel was nice and really enjoyed the food. Our room was rather small and we only had partial sea views but who cares about that when the location was so fab. We had clean sheets and towells everyday and the hotel was very hygeinc which is extremly important to us. Where you ate was amazing looking out to sea, the staff were a bit to efficent for us as soon as you put your fork down the plate was gone, it felt sometimes that they just wanted to get you out of the door. The pool area was ok, but not enough sunbeds, but we went beach everyday as the sea was so pleasent. The pool bar shut at 5pm which was a real shame as that was where the views are not the bar on the first level which opened at 5pm and shut at 11pm. I do agree with prevouis comments about the hotel not being new, however it is fairly modern and just needs touch up's in places, nothing to worry about, remember it is only 3*. Unfortunately i found some of the staff miserable especially the one on reception and for us the alcohol was not so good. Wine was fine, however if you ask for a gin and tonic expect it to be gin and water. The cocktails were also a let down you could only have two they were vodka based with either a luminous red or blue mixer-yuck. We had a lot of drinks out because the location was fab lots of great atmosphere, bars and restaurants. Not too lively but enough if you do want a late one. Theres a great harbour surrounding Agios very pictuase and the evening were up at 30 so no need for a jumper. We also did some boats trips the one to Spinalonga that was interesting and only cost 10 euro each and we were gone for 4 hours not bad value at all. We also got pulled around on a rubber ring which was great fun, the beach was ok although you may want to iinvest in some jelly shoes as as the stones kill your feet, but if you walk ten min up the road there is a lovely sandy beach. We did find it expensive cocktails are between 6-8 euros same as home, food prices also the same as home, petrol is more expensive so don't expect it to be dead cheap. All in all we had a wonderful time and would fully recommend the hotel and the beautiful island, one day we would like to return. I would have given 5 out of 5 but alcohol wasn't for us and reception lady really needed to smile!!!!! We even got engaged on holiday so it is definately one we will never forget!!!! Thanks Coral and all the best to you!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 August 2011

Arrived and given a view of a building site next door so ask for a sea view , wasnt a problem for us but our family in the other room had a fantastic view and larger balcony. The hotel is very good if you want to relax. pool area not the best snack bar was good , food at the hotel is the best we have had in any hotel we have stayed at in 20 years ,we found all staff very helpful , the restaurant waiter was very good , an improvement is needed in the main bar , its not welcoming and entertainment is required more than 1 night a week the last drinks at 10-55 pm is a strange one, go out on a night and you will find it very expensive too . The area is great and the views fantastic , would recommend this hotel if going to crete

Room Tip: ask for sea view
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KevBrett
Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed in this hotel during th last weekend of july.They gave us a descent room on the 6th floor with a fantastic view that made us forget everything mediocre(and there is a lot) there was about the room...I would say that the room was rather clean, fine beds although the hotel is not new. The breakfast was fine for a 3 stars hotel, aviod the swimming pool, because the beach in front of the hotel is marvellous...So for 70 euros per night late july , i think this hotel is an excellent choice...Offers free wifi internet too...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank steo
Reviewed 11 August 2011

We booked a last minute holiday and didn't have much to select from and so was a little nervous as to what to expect from the hotel and resort. After reading some of the reviews I was starting to regret booking the Coral but decided eveybody enjoys different things from a holiday. The night flight with Thomas Cook was annoying with all the 18-30's crowds heading to the party town of Malia however when we got to the airport they were scooped off onto different coaches. On arriving at the hotel I was amazed with the views and was very happy with the location of the hotel. Our room was on the 7th floor with a sea view which we pay extra for - well worth it! Although to get to the 7th floor it was quite a trek or a two lift journey.

Theavailability of the beds around the hotel pool wasn't really an issue, some days we strolled down at 11am and always found two free beds. The pool snack bar was brilliant serving soft drinks and local alcohol from 10-5pm. The lady who worked the bar was lovely, after some of the reviews on here we made friends with her quickly and gave her a tip. I think she would have been just as nice without the tip and she worked really hard all day long and then went off to the sister hotel to work the evening bar.

The food in the hotel was good and all the staff were friendly. We ate out two nights but had bad experiences both times so dicided to eat in the hotel for the rest of the time. The restaurants around the lake have a nice view but that's it, the food is rubbish. Each night we had one drink in the hotel bar but didn't stay there as it reminded me of the TV programme Bennidorm, however there was an outdoor seating area behind the reception which I really liked. We had a walk into ag nik and enjoyed people watching - there was lots of traffic in the town so may not be a good place for small children. There are lots of shops to have a look around. The Alexandros bar you can hear for miles and looks cheesy but is actual quite nice and has nice views over the town, we also enjoyed Cindy's bar which is above the shops on the right hand side walking into ag nic - it has cheap bear :)

The beds in the hotels are hard and the pillows are not the best but we asked the maids for more pillows and they happily gave us some. The room was cleaned everyday with fresh towels and we were never woken by the maids.

The beach infront of the hotel was a pebble beach but we enjoyed it... snorkling and sunbathing on the rocks.

Overall we just wanted a nice relaxing holiday with excellent views which is exactly what we got. I wouldn't go back because I like to try different places but I would recommend as a nice place to stay.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a sea view room
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Morrem
Reviewed 1 August 2011

We booked this hotel as a last minute holiday, and were really undecided about whether to book it or not, I'm so glad that we did.

We stayed in Room 501. Not the greatest view, but we didn't book the room for the view. If I was to go there again I would definetly pay the extra for the rooms with a sea view as the views are spectacular.

Pool is salt water on the roof which is alright, but there are not enough sun beds for the number of clients at the hotel. We would go out in the morning and return back about 14.00/15.00 and more often than not there would be beds available. The beach opposite the hotel is pebble which wasn't really to my liking, but if you turn left outside of the hotel and walk for about 5 minutes you will come to a gorgous sandy beach. You can rent 2 sunbeds and an umbrella for 7 Euros.

Food was lovley, a wide variety every day! The restaurant has an envious location overlooking the sea every evening for our meal watching the sun go down was lovely. Drinks were good also. Try the red cocktail! Drinks stop beng served at 22.55pm which is a little early.

Staff- All staff at the hotel were very helpful and couldn't do enough for you, had a good laugh and joke with some.

There was only entertainment on 2 evenings, but we went to the sister hotel Hermes and also into the town. There is plenty to do.

If you have early hours flight like we did don't bother with a late check out as the hotel lets you use their courtesy room, which was great as we could really make the most of our last day.

A really good value quality hotel and would return to. One thing I would mention is we arrived home today (01/08/11) and the hotel was really starting to pick up and get very busy, especially at meal times.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JSW425
Reviewed 1 August 2011

This may make a difference as I travelled alone, but the facts remain the same.

On arrival I was given a Sea view room which wasn't what I was expecting so that was good, until I walked into the room and it stank of cigarettes. I had to pay €6 for the safe and €30 refundable deposit which I thought was a bit steep. Note the beds are very hard, there is no bounce from the mattress whatsoever. The rooms are cleaned daily and the towels are changed along with the bedding.

The food is really nice. The Snack Bar food has only three choices and is the same every day, however you can buy other snacks but they aren't cheap e.g. plate of chips €5 !!!

The AI drinks are local produce as usual but finish at 23.55 ???? The barman is a stickler and will not allow you to get more than one drink per person at a time especially at the end of the night. I was there for one week and in that time there were only two nights of entertainment, all the other nights there was just piped music - one guest commented that it was like sitting in the local community hall watching everybody playing cards. However you can go into the Hermes Hotel next door which is the sister hotel but remember you will have to buy your drinks, the AI doesn't extend to this hotel. We went along one night to a Brazilian Night where I purchased a vodka and coke, this cost me €5.50 !!! It is a stunning hotel however.

The Reception staff were very helpful as were the Restaurant staff, the lady in the Snack Bar appeared miserable but she really was very nice.

I didn't get to see much of the island as I'd lost a holiday prior to this and therefore lost a lot of money, so this was a kind of salvage holiday and therefore I didn't have a great deal of money to go places, however I did go to Spinalonga. I went with a family I met, we didn't go via Thomas Cook as this would have cost us €32 (a bbq might have been involved with that), we went with one of the local companies off the street. What a con... we could have paid €10 just for the trip or €15 with a guide. We chose to have the guide – big mistake and a rip off. We expected the guide to accompany us around the island explaining whats what but that wasn’t the case. An announcement came over the tannoy for all English speaking people with white boarding cards to gather on the lower deck. Once we were all there, she proceeded to give full details of the history of the island and once finished she wished us a happy trip, she DID NOT accompany us and we had less than an hour to go around the island. Its not a lot of money but personally I don’t like getting ripped off, no matter how much its for.

A point to note, Thomas Cook trips were really expensive but you can get the same trips for a less off the street.

Also they have a masseuse that you can book an appointment with for one hour (no less so you can't cut the cost down) for €50 !!! again expensive. There is a local massage parlour a few yards down the road - €15 for 30 mins, I never did get there as I'd burnt my back and didn’t want to chance it.

The pool is salt water and quite painful on the eyes should you swim in it, really nice though but not very big. There are two showers to rinse the salt water off alongside the pool as well as a toilet.

The TV in the room only had two English speaking channels, all the rest were either Greek, German or French.

The main point of discomfort for me was the fact that the room key fob is what operates your electricity and this fits into a slot by the door. Of course once you leave the room, you have to take your key with you, this in turn switches the electric off and therefore you can't keep your room cool using the air con and of course your fridge goes off too. I found this really hard going as the temps were around 35°C and whereas you normally walk into the hotel and its lovely and cool, it wasn’t. The only public areas where there is air con is the bar, restaurant and reception, all corridors and lifts have no air con and if you're very hot through sitting in the sun, it’s a sweltering walk back to your room.

Having said all this, it is a nice hotel, the views are stunning from the sea view rooms, the staff are nice really even though they appear aloof. The food is very nice and plenty of it, the Greek salads are to die for. The area itself is beautiful, just a pity I didn’t get to see a lot of it. The shops are plentiful. I also wanted to go to Knossos, but never made it, apparently this is one of the top trips to go on.

The downside is the charge for the deposit for the safe, the lack of air con, the time the bar closes, the fact you can't get more than one drink at a time per person, the hard beds and the lack of entertainment.

Basically, if you want a half decent hotel that’s All Inclusive and you don’t mind that there's no entertainment for most nights, which means you will have to go out and wander around the shops or pay for drinks in other bars, that has hard beds and not much air con then go for it. I wouldn't say that I wouldn't stay there again as I think it’s a nice hotel its just they need to sort out the air con and the finishing time of the free drinks, after that its all ok.

Room Tip: Ask to change your room, they will help if they can, theyre quite accommodating
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Sunny290759
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We arrived after a fairly long shuttle transfer via Malia, where we were so glad we weren't staying! Ag Nik is a lovely typical Greek resort with lots of tavernas, cafes, trendy waterfront bars and shops. I last visited here almost 30 years ago and was so glad to see it had not succumbed to McD's KFC, English breakfast etc. We had booked a sea view room and weren't disappointed with our room on the 7th floor with panoramic views over the Gulf of Mirabello. The double bed was rather firm but we slept well enough after asking for extra pillows as they were too flat. Air conditioning was an absolute must at this time of year and this was included at no extra charge.
The fridge in the room was useful for keeping bottles of water cool. A 1.5 litre bottle was 70cents in the local supermarket.
The over bath shower was good by usual Greek standards and we even managed to keep the floor dry! Ample hot water was always available. The small hairdryer in the bathroom was close to a mirror and adequate.
The room was cleaned every day and fresh towels left with the sheets being changed every other day. No beach towels are provided. The whole hotel had a high standard of cleanliness.
We were all inclusive as the cost was not much different to half board although we did enjoy eating out a few times and went around the harbour area for drinks every night as the atmosphere was great there. The food was very good in the hotel with a good selection of soup, Greek dishes, salads, fruit and desserts. It is a buffet but never seemed too busy and the dining room is a lovely bright room overlooking the sea.
The bar had all inclusive drinks until 2250 but there was not much atmosphere and there was only entertainment on Tuesday and Saturday nights.
The salt water pool on the 2nd floor was surrounded by a terrace and parasols and the small bar there served drinks until 1700. We didn't have a problem getting a sunbed, although we did spend most days on various different beaches and only came back to the pool around 1630. For 2 sunbeds and a parasol on the beach it was 7 euros.
We found all the staff very hard working, pleasant and helpful. There are no bands to wear if you're on all inclusive as you just show your room card, and the staff in the bars got to know everyone fairly quickly so stopped asking for the card after a few days.
I would recommend this hotel for couples and families with teenagers. There are no facilities for young children and there were only a couple of small bored children when we stayed there.
We really enjoyed our stay here and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple