“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Elounda
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012 via mobile

We arrived in mid April, just after the Greek Easter weekend. On our arrival we were informed that although the resort advertised the use of 10 restaurants and bars, only 4 would be available to us during our stay. The reason for this was that due to a low number of guests they had reduced their staff. Also that this was low season. Neither reason/excuse was acceptable to me. Either the hotel is open, as advertised and as expected, or it is closed.

On the first night, in the only dinning facility on offer, the menu consisted of tomato soup with a side salad as a starter - no option; take it or leave it - and a main course of beef or fish. For a "Deluxe Resort" this was not the level of selection we expected nor the quality, as the beef although ordered rare, came up well done. This could easily have been due to the focus of attention for all the staff being on the owner and his guests, who ate in the same restaurant but had a completely different menu, whilst all the guests looked on. A buffet service was put in place after feedback was given to the management but this still was very limited.

The website and the information we received did not say, at any stage, that there would be reduced facilities. In our rooms and on the hotel's information screens they still advertised all the facilities. Disappointing.

Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Mark F
PortoElounda, General Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Guest,
On behalf of the entire staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property porto elounda.
As I understand your main concern was the operation of our restaurants for dinner during April and we are deeply sorry about that. Please note that we do communicate to all tour operators and travel agents that during shoulder seasons some of our 7 restaurants might not be in operation. Since all guests staying at the porto elounda are on HB basis, dinner at the Nafsika restaurant is organized with a different buffet setup each night in order for our guests to have different options . Finally please note that the owners of porto elounda are hoteliers for more than 50 years, they have created and established the area of Elounda as one of the top luxury vacations destination in Greece and they always have dinner in different restaurants of the resort in order to have a personal opinion about the food and service.I don't know how you got the impression that they "had a completely different menu" but I can assure you that this was not the case.
Hope that after clearing the air we will have the opportunity to have you again as our guest in the near future.
Best Regards
Alex Glynos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

It was early in the season so a few teething problems but the front desk staff sorted them all out and were very helpful. Hotel and room with balconies great. View brilliant, beach and pool next to beach were lovely. Breakfast was at best average for a 5 star, the evening buffet was poor, part of which maybe explained by the small numbers of guest so early in the season. Indoor pool and facilities were first rate although I am pleased to say the weather was so good we hardly used them. Spa was stunning but a tad expensive. We did dine at the Calypso restaurant it was good but not good value for money in particular it was let down by untrained service. Overall we had a great time and loved the resort Elounda. Now I know Crete has such good weather early in the year I will be coming here rather than the Canaries for my spring breaks.

Room Tip: Rooms with joint plunge pools would be lovely in the height of the season. We did swim in ours even...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Tunbridge Wells
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

This is a lovely resort, beautiful location and trades on a wonderful spa experience however we were frustrated by a number of small but important things that really detracted from what would have otherwise been a genuine "de luxe" holiday.

1. While the staff were very friendly, the attentiveness and promptness of service was really lacking. We lost count of the number of times we had to get up from our dinner table to fetch the waiter or to remind them of items we ordered. This was particularly the case when over the weekend the hotel owner's family and friends came to stay and we felt truly as though we were being serviced as 2nd class guests.

2. We had a bit of a hassle with the hot water not working in our room on the first night. We were moved to another room right next to reception where the noise was awful including a constant beeping from the reception phone/fax. We then got upgraded to a pool room with a bottle of champers on arrival. All very nice but just a a hassle we didn't need and the upgrade was pointless as there was no child barriers on the pool meaning we were never able to leave the patio door open. Furthermore, the patio door had no lock. Rather, it was just a simple bolt at child height so we were constantly scared of the kids opening that and falling into the pool especially in their room where we had to blockade the door with hotel room furniture.

3. Nice little par 3 golf course but hardly what I would constitute a golf resort! And £42 euros for 9 holes and some very poor golf clubs with 3 holes having temporary greens. Not exactly great value on what was a totally empty course. Why not drop the prices and increase the take-up. Same goes for the childcare, tennis and the beach activities all overly priced and not being used by anyone as a result. Yes we were out of peak season but why not reflect that in your pricing. 4 euros for a game of pool in the hotel games room. Come on guys - this is a deluxe resort where this type of stuff should be standard.

4. No info in the rooms or the hotel on local tourist activities and even though we were a family booked into a family room, not even any info on the family activities. Instead we have to call reception each day or the venues to find out when the activities are on and the cost. Why not provide a print out in the room. When I suggested this the guest relations manager said the color printer was broken. What, for the whole 10 days! Trust me, black and white would have been fine.

5. Finally, while the food in the hotel was lovely, there was a real lack of snack or light lunch food options by the beach/pool. When you are with kids and on half board, you don't really need to be sitting down for a formal large meal every lunchtime and there were no local alternatives nearby without going into Elounda. After waiters telling us there were no other options, we did discover on the 4th day from one of the staff that they could do a couple of snack options for the kids like a hot dog or Greek salad baguette but this was advertised nowhere. In fact two days later when we asked another member of staff for this they denied any knowledge and I had to go to the beach bar myself to find the original waiter to let his colleagues know that these options existed. Again, a hassle that could be done without.

Don't get me wrong, this is a nice resort in a beautiful location but it was in some ways trying to be five star and it has away to go for that in my view other than the pricing which felt very 5 star!

Admittedly we were slightly out of season going just after the UK Easter but then isn't that why you go to places such as Crete i.e. to get some early sun?! Quite frankly I can understand the hotel being quiet out of season but you are either open for business as usual or you are not so some of the excuses offered about new untrained staff and not a full staff rota yet were inexcusable given what we were paying.

I'd be keen to go back in Summer some time and see how our experience might differ. I hope their management see this feedback and act on it as they really are only little things which should be easy to address but when you have a number of those little things occur throughout one trip then it can detract from your overall experience.

PS. Can't recommend highly enough the Lotus Restaurant on the water's edge as you walk into Elounda before you go down the hill towards the harbor. Great food, lovely setting and excellent service.

Room Tip: Just be wary of the pool room if you have young kids. Mo barriers around the pool and no decent lock...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
PortoElounda, General Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all our staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property, porto elounda. I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the location of our property, the food in our restaurants, our multi-awarded Six Senses Spa and most of all for the beautiful pictures you posted in your review.
Regarding your comments which we seriously take into consideration please allow me to reply:
1. We are really sorry if you felt a lack in service during Greek Orthodox Easter weekend where we were really busy. We are a family owned resort and the family is always here overlooking and running the properties so we all did our best to serve all clients the best possible way.
2. Regarding your room, it is true that their was a serious pluming problem which could not be repaired so that is why we upgraded you to two interconnecting rooms with access to a shared pool. We could have fended the veranda and patio of the Children's room, so the kids would not have access to the pool, if that was asked and I am really sorry that this option was not communicated to you.
3. Regarding pricing. For our golf course, the price for 9 holes is 22€, not 42€. Rental of the tennis court is 15€ per hour (which is much lower than all other 5 star Mediterranean hotels) while beach activities and water slides are FREE and childcare service is also FREE for kids from 5 to 16 years old.
4. Regarding communication of our facilities. First of all at the concierge desk we have a book with all possible excursions.Then we follow the procedure that all 5 star hotels around the world follow, by having an in room directory with all information regarding the restaurants, golf, kids facilities, six senses spa, water sports etc. Also during check in we offer a gift bag for our young guests which includes a printed schedule with the entire program. Since this year we have very much focused on the Children's program by creating one of the most challenging Children's program in the Mediterranean, with many activities such as golf, tennis, swimming lessons , the Arsenal Soccer School Camp and others, where I am personally overlooking the communication of these facilities so I am deeply sorry if I have not noticed that the weekly program was not given to you. Moreover it would be great if you could contact me directly and let me know how it was communicated to you that our printer was not working which was why we didn't have a schedule, since this has never happened. We have 3 printers within the resort and they have all been working fine all this time.
5. Regarding snacks at the beach bar, we are really happy that you discovered this option for lunch , even though our staff should have communicated that to you earlier.
I want to personally thank you one more time for reviewing our property and we are looking forward to welcoming you back this summer.
Sincerely yours
Alexandros Glynos
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

Just come back from this hotel after a weeks holiday. Hotel was great,staff very friendly especially Ria and Kostas at reception and the wonderful Poppy.
This was the first holiday that I went on with just my 11 year old and I.
We had to change our first room as I felt there were some safety issues with our pool.Poppy was great and offered us a larger room with a shared pool,but lucky for us ,there were not any guests in the next room so we had an even bigger pool to ourselves!
The hotel is not perfect,as we found out on a few occasions..10.30-11am room service not delivered until 1pm!!! Spa treatments were good but my son was charged full adult price for a pedicure! Not all the restaurants open.There wasn't a kids club,the ark was not open nor the water slides.
I mainly booked this hotel because of the soccer camp for my son. This is still in its teething stage as it was only opened that week. Hidde the soccer coach is a natural with children and good at what he does.The age range of children was quite vast and I thought that they have to split the age groups up. Luckily for my son he ended up having one to one training with Hidde,which lovely Poppy organized.One thing that I would say to the hotel about this soccer camp is that at the end, it would be a nice gesture if the children were presented with a certificate or a T shirt to show that they had indeed attended the Arsenal soccer camp at the Elounda deluxe resort.
The views are lovely,the hotel is clean,staff a delight,the Spa is stunning but this hotel is very expensive.I used to ask for a daily update of my bill so I would be prepared for the final bill at checkout.
All in all this place is great for a holiday and when the temperatures get higher,I bet its even nicer!

Room Tip: Try getting a room on the same level as the Spa,as our views from our room were stunning.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Harri M
tzoran
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

great vacation great atmosphere eventhough the season just opened
Ria in the reception is a great help to those who like to travel in the area
the taxi prices from the hotel is fixed and you know ahead how much you pay
the food excellent all the waiters and the chef try their best so you will enjoy your meal
the pools are excelllent , we used the indoor cause it was a little cold out.
you have hamam sauna and excersize room
the view from the hotel is breathtaking
i thank the all staff of port elounda hotel from the Katan family, Israel

Room Tip: places near by to visit :plaka,elounda,agios nockolaus kritsa
2 Thank yigalkatan
Argyll
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2011

I have stayed twice at this lovely hotel. Last year with my family and this year solo. I always stay in this catagory of hotel, but I feel the Porto Elounda is too rigid and didnt accommodate my needs for the holiday. I was not allowed to eat my breakfast on the terrace, I was only allowed t0 take a coffee out there. The breakfast room was very cold from the air conditioning and I asked twice if i could eat outside in the sunshine and was told no. This meant I ate quickly and left, therefor not enjoying my breakfast. Also on the beach, I was not allowed to go to a quiet area called the peninsula despite there being no one on that area. The main beach by the bar had many children and I really came for some peace and quiet. When I checked out no one asked me if I enjoyed my stay. I do like the hotel, for the tennis, great coach, and the excellent Spa. Though not sure if I shall return a third time.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Patricia W
PortoElounda, General Manager at Porto Elounda Golf & Spa Resort, responded to this review, 6 December 2011
Dear Guest,
On behalf of all our staff I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our property, porto elounda. I would also like to thank you for your kind words regarding the location of our property, our hotel in general, our tennis courts and our multi-awarded Six Senses Spa. We are very glad that you visited porto elounda for the second time. Creating repeat clientele is a very important and difficult goal and we are really proud that our property has a large number of them.
Regarding your important comments please note that we use to operate the outside area of Nafsika restaurant for breakfast but none of the clients preferred it as it was too sunny, so we decided to only operate the indoors part of the restaurant. As you may understand it is impossible for us to provide the level of service we like to in such a large area for a small number of clients. Regarding your comment about the private sandy beach of our sister property elounda peninsula, please note that the elounda peninsula all suite hotel does not operate in October, the period you stayed with us, therefore our staff could not serve the private beach of a property not in operation.
Having cleared the air, we are looking forward in welcoming you back at porto elounda for the third time.
Best Regards
Alex Glynos
Herts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

We absolutely loved our stay at Porto Elounda and for the first time on any holiday are considering going back again next year. We went with our 16mnth baby and the hotel was perfect for us. The beach is small, private, shallow and very safe, the baby pool is lovely and there is a fantastic creche, play area and even a mini water park! The buffet breakfast in the mornings was fantastic, really delicious and so much to choose from. We went B&B so we had the option of eating at the hotel or walking into town (25mins downhill) and getting a taxi back (E7). The restaurants in town were lovely, very reasonably priced and very family friendly. The buffet evening meal was very good value but I think we might have tired of it every evening. The room service was excellent but expensive but we found the children's portions are really big so if you're not a huge eater worth considering. The hotel restaurants were all quite well heeled and not so suitable for small children - they are also very expensive!! Eating by the pool/beach was ok, prices ranged from E12 for a toasted sandwich and chips to E22 for a huge club sandwich with chips. The rooms were lovely (if a touch dated if I was being really fussy) with beautiful views over the bay. The staff were amazing, so helpful and so friendly. Finally the spa was literally out of this world, one of the best I've ever been to!
If I was being really picky my only criticism would be that Elounda is on the easterly side of the island so by 5ish the beach was in the shade and if you'd paid for a room with a pool, it would be in the shade by noon. It didn't bother us as we headed back to our room by then but if I'd paid for a room with a pool I'd be gutted if the pool was in the shade all afternoon...

Room Tip: The junior suite rooms are great if you have children as you can easily fit a couple of cots in the...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family