Lady Hillyer and I had the pleasure of staying at The Blue Palace.
It is a long drive from the airport. Our car took us an hour and a half. It would not be fair to mark down the hotel on this.
Our room was superbly presented, we had our own pool and fresh flowers every day. Turn down service was also to a good standard.
All the staff were very pleasant and are multi lingual.
The hotel has resort cars, namely golf buggies that take you from reception to your room and vice versa.
It is expensive and you should expect it. I would say that if you are on a budget then this is not the hotel for you. In the end we just didn't bother looking at the prices.
All the food was acceptable, nothing stood out as being excellent. We were a bit disappointed with the lobster,not much flavor. We did not complain at the time which we should have done and no doubt it would have been replaced without question.
The wine list is very good they have an excellent range of vintage and non-vintage champagne,as above though,don't look at the price and just enjoy it.
The location is amazing and situated directly opposite Spinalonga Island.As other reviewers state, there is no beach as such, just stones and jetties. Fine for us but not good for children at all.
We found a lot guests had brought their own nannies/au pairs to look after the children so be prepared for lots of young children.
The Spa is excellent, quality of treatments was outstanding. The sports massage and facials were really enjoyable.
You can walk from the hotel to Plaka which is a little fishing village along the coast. Go out of the hotel and turn right and in about 15 minutes you are there. Not a lot to see but some amazing fish restaurants and all priced very reasonably.
Elounda itself is a taxi ride away and this is where the taxi drivers tried to have us over. It is no problem going from the hotel to Elounda but coming back we found a problem.
Where you wait for a Taxi in Elounda a long line forms. An individual would walk up and down the line asking people what hotel they were going to. As soon as you say Blue Palace you are taken to the front of the line and put in the first cab. Sounds good,however not only does it cause problems for the other persons wanting a taxi and who have patiently waited the price goes up by 10 euros.
This happened to us twice. On our third visit we asked for Plaka which is just past the hotel and low and behold, the price came down by 10 euro. We asked the taxi driver to stop at the Blue Palace and he became rather rude and abusive. He was upset as he could not have us over for 10 euros.
Would I stay again, the answer is no,just because there are many more places to visit.I would recommend it for families with older children,perhaps not so much for the elderly or infirm due to the location and the fact that the hotel is spread out over a large area.And certainly beware of the taxi drivers as they see guests as a meal ticket.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to the wild beauty and unrivalled island style of a bohemian luxe resort with emblematic sea views, crystal clear waters, sparkling infinity pools, world class cuisine and bespoke services. All this combined with the resort's beach experience create a unique setting , where time seems to stand still. Blue Palace, a setting of wild grandeur. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity.ca, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Palace Resort And Spa
- Blue Palace Hotel Elounda
- Blue Palace Resort & Spa
- Blue Palace, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, Crete Elounda