All reviews steep hill golden beach pool bar air con greek islands smaragdi ii his wife rooms are very basic these apartments every morning mobility issues apartment was clean skala potamia great holiday shower curtain moon rise walking difficulties
Reviewed September 21, 2017

Stayed at the Emerald at beginning of June 2017 on a last minute break with Thomson.

Typical Greek accommodation - hand held shower / basic catering facilities etc; There was also a TV, but we didn’t even switch it on – with the fantastic views why would you! Extra costs for safe and air conditioning, which is the usual in Greece. Balcony with great views, so it was lovely to sit and look (apart from the smoke drifting from the next apartment – but not the hotels fault). When we arrived we had a problem with the bathroom floor drain being blocked resulting in the floor flooding; this took several days before it was resolved

As others have mentioned, at the top of a hill – we personally didn’t find the walk a problem and it is worth it for the views.

Owners are there to see you arrive and leave which is a nice touch. There is a bread van delivery every morning which is very popular.

Would be happy to stay again if able to get a cheap deal, although if paying full brochure price would look at some of the newer accommodation that is available.
Shame there isn’t a 3.5 rating.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2017

The Emerald Studios were clean, had a nice firm bed and a superb view from the balcony. The fridge was roomy and worked well. No wine glasses were supplied and one of the two large coffee mugs was chipped. The water was always of an adequate temperature but invariably had to be run for a considerable time before it warmed up.

Regretfully there was a general lack of attention to maintenance matters. The shower curtain had been removed resulting in the flooding of the bathroom floor whenever the shower was used. The shower head was loose and had to be tied to the curtain rail to direct the angle of spray. The toilet roll holder was broken and the toilet seat would not stay up - a problem for males! The soap holder was loose resulting in it tipping over unless the soap was placed exactly in the middle. Most of the light switches had to be switched on and off several times before they worked. There was a 'phone in the room but no instructions as to its use or how to contact reception.

The pool was full of dead and dying insects, a particular problem this time of year as the island was suffering from a plague of bees. More disturbing about the cleanliness of the pool was the white greasy deposit adhering to all the tiles. There appeared to be no working filtration system and there were no notices requesting people to shower before using the pool. The shower was not prominent being partially hidden by buckets and overhanging vegetation. Apart from my wife and I, we saw only one other person use the shower during our 14 days' stay.

There was a 2€ per day hire charge for the room's safe key. This had to be paid in cash as the hotel did not accept credit cards. The safe door was 16 cms wide and 12.5 cms high and was insufficient in depth to house my small tablet.

The much talked about hill from the resort's main road to the apartments is steep but manageable unless you're very old or infirm. However it does make it a chore if you need to pop down to the nearest supermarket. On the plus side, because of their elevation, the studios enjoy an enviable view over Golden Beach and Skala Potamia.

Wifi was free but the signal very weak.

Stayed: September 2017
1  Thank David D
Reviewed September 18, 2017 via mobile

The main advice I can give on this place is that without transport it is a bit of a cardiac hill. Both my husband and I are very fit and active and even we were not sorry to see the back of it. It's the price you pay for one of the most spectacular views we have ever had. Extremely beautiful. Disappointingly it came, even by Greek old standards, with probably the smallest room we've ever had and the most inadequate self catering facilities. There is nowhere to prepare or serve the food from, unless you count the sink, which is probably why they had removed the smoke alarm because the least amount of cooking would probably have set it off. And there is nowhere to get alternative breakfasts without going down and up the hill. This is basically an old hotel without the hotel service. If you want just a room with a view - great. If you have any problems and report it they do fix and replace it so that's a plus, but cleaning was non existent apart from the loo and emptying bins. Also the nice picture featured for the Emerald is the new block, which is why we booked, but the older hotel is the main accomodation, so overall disappointed especially when the much feted beach was wall to wall sunbeds and parasols. Call me old fashioned but I do like to sit on the sand on my own without someone two foot away from me. A lot of people really seem to love the place and return time after time but even with that view, we won't be back.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CIJEY
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

The only positive thing I can say is the fantastic view we had from our balcony. The hill is steep but that didn't bother us. The rooms are very basic and in need of updating. We didn't even have a toaster. There is no room to prepare a meal never alone cook a meal. The shower had no curtain therefore the bathroom floor was swimming. The air conditioning was expensive. The toilet did not flush properly. The swimming pool was disgusting. It was so dirty I wouldn't of dared to dip my toe in never mind my body. We never saw anybody clean the pool whilst we were there. There was a pile of sun loungers stacked on top of one another. Next to these was a sign saying if you use a sunbed please put it back after use. I've never had to get my own sunbed then return it after. Very poor hospitality. If you decide to visit the emerald studios please visit the lonely dog who lives in the forest just up from the pool. He is very friendly and loves a fuss and a play with his ball. We took him some food every morning.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Julie E
Reviewed September 12, 2017

Once again the holiday was lovely. Two weeks in June then a week in September. Weather was beautiful.
Food was lovely everywhere apart from having something green inside my lamb at one place. They sorted it and knocked it off the bill, although i`m not sure it was where the meat was stamped as it was inside.
I would definitely visit again but would seek to travel independent, as the Thomson service this year was atrocious.

Room Tip: ask for a high room.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple