“night time noises!”
Review of Hotel El Greco

Hotel El Greco
Ranked #21 of 21 Hotels in Patras
Reviewed 16 October 2017

Though probably more the fault of thin walls, and not the owners, I heard very loud noises of an amorous nature coming from an adjoining room, for quite a long time, and when they had quietened down, some other people came in around 3am and made absolutely no attempt to be quiet...Again not really the fault of the hotel, I was just unlucky. Traffic noise doesn't bother me, but if it does you, don't have a room at the front, as it is on a busy road, seemingly all night, but I did have a nice balcony to sit on and watch Patras ( a nice little city) go by. Having said all that, the hotel was clean, the man on reception was pleasant, it has a lift, but I did find my bed and pillows quite hard!...

Room Tip: maybe a room at the back to avoid traffic noise.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

The old cranky guy was not the issue, he comes around. Was given a parking spot so that was good. The room smelt like stale cigarettes and I think there was a direct exhaust into our room as it got worse overnight. At 2am we had to leave as my throat was sore. The place looks like a prop for one of those horror movies, was the worst night in Greece so far unfortunately.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

This place is the cheapest place in Patras. The room was small and stank like cheap sanitary products. The wifi kept breaking. The bed for two people was not really big enough and the metal springs were poking us in the ribs. One pillow was okay while the other one was so thick and big that it made the neck pain. Very noisy.
Not worth the money.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EnaHijena
Reviewed 19 November 2014

I stayed at El Greco for a night. My room was small, clean but very old, depressive and misery; the bathroom was clean. The owner, the old man in the reception, was hardly polite and bored.
It was October and I needed a thin blanket that there was notone in the room. The gentleman at reception said that they had them all to the laundry andhe assured me that I would not get cold!. But in any case, I would use the sheet of the bed next to mine.

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Angeliki S
Reviewed 22 October 2013

It was comforting meeting the blunt talking George, owner of this budget hotel, as I walked in looking for a bed for the night. He was no fun at first as I was scanned by his investigating eyes but I knew that if he let me book a room I would be safe from hassle of any type from any other guest, or hustler cruising the hotel reception of Patras. He had run El Greco for 42 years and knew trouble when it walked in. I inspected the room on the top floor. It was clearly budget, but clean and it passed the ultimate test for me. The towels were clean and intact and the basin and loo-bowl were spotless and white as well. Back in reception, blunt George had inspected my passport and was now a relaxed chatty host. He discovered his son now lived in my country and he even knew my birthplace. Now he gave his recommendations for good places to eat. The bed was firm and I had the first deep and all-night sleep I had had for 6 months and a rare one in any hotel. Was it the lack of traffic noise? or the cool, crisp sheets on a good mattress?
In the morning, manager Ilias was welcoming, informative about the joys of Patras and, best of all, gave me directions to perhaps the only 'traditional' Greek trattoria left in this trendy port-cum University town. The most impressive gesture of a welcoming hotel was that Ilias realised that I had left a hiking stick behind after I left for the bus-station then lept on his scooter and dashed to catch me. And all that from a budget hotel??

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Cyclades_soulmate
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at El Greco for a night. We were given a mountain side room, so it was not that noisy. But....the toilette flush would not function and there was no hanger for the shower. I've read simillar comments from other people but I expected that such basic things should be fixed on the spot. In the morning I realised that I did not have my ID with me, I thought I lost it. I was in panic because my flight was on that day. Then I recalled that I gave it at the reception for the check in. I rushed dowstairs, the old guy (the owner) was there. He looked in his papers and he gave back my ID. When I complained that they should not have kept my ID, or if by mistake, they should have given it back to me (I went in - out the hotel several times) he said it was my mistake. He was very ironic and not a person that is suitable for the reception. Should I have paid more for a toilette flush or a polite receptionist? Maybe!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Yioulica
Reviewed 25 September 2012

We stayed here for only one night in transit, but the Hotel El Greco had friendly staff and fantastically clean rooms. It is within walking distance from the Bus station and Port of Patras. Some rooms have en-suite bathrooms. Others have private (outside room) bathrooms. Good price (best I could find in Patras)

Room Tip: depends on what your needs are off-street or not (if you use A/C) En-suite bathroom or not?
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends