Hans Christian Andersen Birthplace
Open today: 11:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m., 3:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Review Highlights
Short visit

Visited here as a part of Odense Day tour The house where this noble man hans christian andersen... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
ronnav2016
Taguig City, Philippines
via mobile
A good place to learn more about the Father of great fairy tales

LisaWellOz
Melbourne, Australia

All reviews his life childhood home hans christian andersen nice museum an interesting place gift shop hc anderson story telling informative museum interesting visit fairy tale nice place to visit adults and children well worth the visit couple of hours tales books
Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

Visited here as a part of Odense Day tour
The house where this noble man hans christian andersen was born was a vey very small place.
Located just in the corner of the street.
The room inside is so small. The beds are small too..
Nice to see and learn some part of.history :)

Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a probable place in which H.C. Andersen was born. It is not sure where the exact place is because his family didn't have their own house at that time.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We bought 1 ticket with a wristband, we could visit 5 places: HC.Andersens museum, HC Andersens childhood house, HC Andersens Birthplace, Montergarden, the Tinderbox. In general, we were happy to see all of them.
The museum is well decorated with dark color lights, paper cutting, some music/story telling sound as but it was a little low, exhibits related to HC Andersens. We didn't expect much before our visit, so no disappointment as some reviews we read. In fact, we learnt a lot about Him, Andersens, from the museum (we didn't know tht He also wrote poems, novels, plays..., not only fairy stories as we thought and a lot of people thought I think). At first we wondered why so many paper cuttings were used to decorate the museum, then we found out that it was Andersens who cut paper without any draft/drawing in advance to demonstrate his stories....so talented! He was a great man! A lot of my childhood memories with his fairy tales came up in my mind when we stepped in Odense.
BTW, I still wondered why there is a 2-face mirror, one is normal, one is broken. Is it really broken or a intentional display?

I agree that the museum would be more magical and fascinating like His excellent fairy tales with audio guide for those who want to listen to his fairy stories again, a tour guide in the costume of a princess or a fairy for example, more intereactive seting-up such as dolls, puppets (characters in His stories)....As I could see Odense, the city itself is very peaceful and modest, so it's understandable if the museum is modest too, it's naturally Danish! I think the museum only is not enough to satisfy visitors, but the whole city with parks, playgrounds, various sculptures...related to Andersens and his stories can definitely do it.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The house of HCA's birth exposes his humble beginnings. The contrast with booming Odense is marked, which makes the close proximity of old and new all the more interesting.

Reviewed October 5, 2018 via mobile

Every Monday was closed. Please be sure to avoid Monday for a visit
Distance to Radison Blu Hotel is a walking distance. We took the city tour bus from Odense main station
The entrance fee we paid inclusive of 5 other museum which are a worth to paid for.
Was expecting much more in the museum but it takes us abt an hour to complete
Indeed an experience.

Reviewed September 30, 2018

We were really excited to see the H.C. Anderson Museum, birth house, etc, but overall the experience was very disappointing. The exhibits were rather dull and without any magic or the charm you would expect from these lovely fairy tales. We did learn some new information about H.C. Anderson's life, but I believe that his life and stories hold great potential to be presented in a much more engaging and interactive way, which unfortunately we did not find in these exhibitions.

Reviewed September 23, 2018 via mobile

If I take into account that I have just driven many hours to see this museum I’m disappointed. More if I think that for years I planned to come Very little to see. I rescue the informative texts but they do not go into details. I expected to find something about his relationship with the Wullf family in Copenhagen and any mention of his visit to the frigate Bellona to which he dedicated a poem. My expectations were excessive. The shop it does not have anything interesting in English (and I think in Danish either). With the same ticket I visited his house 200 mts from there. The visit of the house is worth it but there's not much to see.

Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

We spent several hours here and enjoyed every minute of it. The whole complex of buildings and exhibits was interesting. However, they are in the midst of a huge renovating construction project that will make it even more interesting in 2020.

Reviewed September 10, 2018

A very disappointing experience...

In my youth, my parents read most of the fairy tales before I could go to sleep, I had many books of Hans Chiristian Andersen and enjoyed the fantasy and moral messages.
During this visit, I hoped to experience that feeling again.

Nothing came close to this due to the boring set-up of the two houses and the museum. Walking into the two houses, the exit sign showed up after three or four rooms with a dull text presentations. I asked, is this all??

The museum expressed the life of Hans, his paper cutting and his travels. The fairy tales were sold as books only, mostly in Danish.

My advice: change the whole set-up and let the visitors, young and old, experience the fairy tales again... story telling, films, etc. This is why we are visiting Odense!

And take an example of the brilliant concept of the Moesgaard Museum in Aarhus.

PS: the various statues in the city were creative and the walk following the footsteps a nice way of discovering Odense.

Reviewed August 27, 2018

you are not just buying the admission to the museum, you are buying to see 5 attractions in the neighborhood. So, yes, go and see them all. What can you possibly show in a museum of a man who was living in his head. HCA was a dreamer, a writer, a quirk. But, yes, it's a must see.... GO !