First Hotel Esplanaden
US$299
US$243
Orbitz.com
  • Breakfast included
Wakeup Copenhagen, Borgergade(Copenhagen)(Great Value!)
US$157
Hotels.com
Copenhagen Admiral Hotel(Copenhagen)
US$503
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The rooms in the hotel are absolutely tiny and the bathrooms bonsai! The rooms and bathrooms are quite basic and need some serious repair and refurbishing. More like college hostel rooms. Hardly any staff present in the hotel and in the restaurant.
There are only two good things about the hotel- location and breakfast. The breakfast was good, there was a good spread. The location is good for business and for sight seeing as well. Major business houses (including headquarters of the biggest Shipping Company) are in close vicinity and so are tourist places including the “Little Mermaid”. The hotel building is quite old with some interesting sculptures at the entrance. There is a pay channel to watch movies as well in the room, besides the usual cable channels. There are a couple of computers in the reception which guests can use free of charge for catching up with emails etc. There was coffee and pastry and sometimes even soup, pasta and bread kept near the lobby for the guests in the evening - free of charge

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Stayed at Comfort Hotel Esplanaden from July 15-17 2011. The hotel is centrally placed and it only takes a 10 minutes walk from the hotel to Strøget(shopping street), and a few minutes from the royal castle.
The room could have been better though, not quite sure if they were in a process of upgrading the rooms in the hotel but the room we got was a bit worn-out and really needed a upgrading to a more mordern feeling, compared to other Comfort hotel rooms. The double bed was small, about 120 or 140, but it was a bit too small for two people.
Plus: Free wireless high-speed Internet access

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The hotel is a bit old and the carpet smells a bit. The room is very small but clean. There is no hair dryer or iron in the room, you'll have to get it from the front desk. Breakfast is yummy though!

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed September 10, 2011

Unfortunately, we didn't stay here by choice as if we were, we would have walked straight out again.

We allegedly had a superior room but it was awful. Small, dirty, miserable. Two noisy uncomfortable single beds shoved together. I have never had such a bad night sleep in my life. The single duvets had a tatty covers on them, the mattress didn't even have a sheet on it.

The bathroom was grim. No bath, and the shower curtain was about 6 inches too short so water went all over the bathroom. The attachment had two positions - facing the wall or facing the ceiling. There were two towels which were scratchy and smelt bad.

But by far the worst thing about this hotel was the horrible receptionist as I checked in. I assume she was a member of staff as she was behind the desk, but who knows as she was wearing a scruffy t-shirt and jeans (in fact, I don't recall any of the staff wearing a uniform). She didn't smile once, was incredibly rude to me and my husband (we checked in separately as we got there at different times) and I would go as far to say she ruined my first evening in this beautiful country. She couldn't find the details of our stay on her computer and seemed to suggest to me that I was lying about our booking so I guess that frustrated her enough to take it out on me (she phoned someone and eventually found the booking). When I got into the room after having her chastise me for daring to check in, I actually cried.

I would urge all travellers to steer clear of this nasty little hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Laesning
Reviewed September 10, 2011

After reading several other reviews for this hotel, my expectations were extremely low.
In some ways the hotel exceeded them: Our room was an odd space; a reasonable size, no wardrobe, beamed ceiling, very basic bathroom (don't expect toiletries to be provided!)
The beds were fairly comfortable. We didn't get eaten by bed bugs. There was a slightly odd arrangement of a thin matress on top of the normal matress which made me worried that the bugs had just been covered up & not actually dealt with but no itching or scratching so perhaps this was unfair.
The WiFi worked- with the caveat that you have to log into it again and again. Also, you have to go to reception & get WiFi codes- they weren't offered to us on arrival. Don't sign up & get charged- specifically ask the staff for the free code.
Our room was on the top floor which meant a small dormer window so our views weren't great. We were also at the front of the building which faces a very noisy street. There doesn't seem to be individual room temperature control but our room was fortunately kept at a comfortable temperature so we didn't have to open the window to cool down. The only benefit of having the window open was that it drowned out the intolerable lift noise. The room we were in (512) is right next to the lift shaft, and the lifts are ancient. They hum and clank and whirr from about 6am until well into the night. The room gently vibrates and sometimes judders (which even the ear plugs couldn't prevent!)

Room Tip: bigger windows on any floor but the 5th. Try to avoid any room near the lift shaft.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business