“One of the best Scandic hotels I have stayed in - personal touch despite being a chain”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandic Front

Scandic Front
Ranked #40 of 116 Hotels in Copenhagen
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Spending around 200 nights per year at hotels (mainly business but also some leisure travel) I have a pretty clear view on which hotel chains I like and which ones I am less fond of. Traveling for business I am however not always free to choose where to stay so I was not a 100% delighted when I realized I would be staying at a Scandic hotel. The location is however good and since I was only staying one night I thought it would be ok.

The location is within walking distance of the metro/subway station Nyhavn so coming from the airport it is a quick 15 min ride on the subway. So arriving at the airport do not take the train to the Copenhagen central station as it is not at all convenient. Walking from the Nyhavn subway station is around 5 minutes so it is no problem - I was however here in the cold month of February so it was not an all together pleasant walk. The area is rather nice to be in so works fine for tourists and business travelers alike.

Check-in procedure was quick and efficient with a smile as well. The elevators are pretty small but there are at least three elevators so were no problems there either. I had a room on the 5th floor. The room itself was fairly small but still had what I needed (the only thing I was missing was an ironing board and an iron - could of course be that it is available upon request but I did not really need one). I liked the design of the room, it had a the 'clean' Scandinavian feel to it but it also went it darker colors than normal so it did have a fresh feel to it. The room also had a partial view of the water - could have been nice in summer or spring time.

There was of course also TV (decent selection of both international channels and domestic ones) and as always at Scandic free WiFi.

The breakfast at this Scandic was actually much better than in many others I have stayed in. When I think about it there were just some minor difference which also shows how easy it is to make it a little bit better. They offered fresh orange juice (not that made from concentrate thing that is undrinkable) and they had a slightly better selection of hot food (pancakes, some meatballs etc.) and everything looked fresh and in order.

All together a positive surprise and I would not at all mind staying here again (and at the price paid it was also excellent value for Copenhagen).

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank thesaint01
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear thesaint01,

Thank you for your kind review, I am delighted and happy that you enjoyed staying with us.
We should have iron and ironing boards in all our rooms I will let the team check up on that.
Glad you liked the breakfast and found value in staying with us.

Johan Åséll

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Decent hotel. Decent rooms. Although some of them are small size.
Very good location near the Nyhaven.
Close to metro and most sight seeings are walking distance.
But make sure you get the rooms at the front, facing the harbor.
Lot of activities around the hotel in the evenings.
Only negative is, its expensive.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank arabianstallion
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear arabianstallion,

Thanks for taking the time writing your review!

Our single rooms are not the largest in size but all our rooms from queen size and up are spacy and comfy, and you are right the harbour side rooms have a beautiful view!

Happy you find our location so good, our best rates can be found in the off seasons or by booking early!

Sheffield UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a 2 day trip to Copenhagen, where we stayed at the Scandic front. our room was beautifully decorated, very cool and "boutique" in style with mies van de rhoe Barcelona chairs in the room and an enormous and very comfy bed. The breakfast is buffet style and is really excellent, lots of choice and plenty of it! We found the service to be really very good, very pleasant staff, always smiling and willing to help. The location of the hotel is fantastic, right on the keyside, next to the Admiral hotel, we would return here in a shot. A word of warning, the drinks from the bar are extremely expensive!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank rich_and_nicole
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Dear rich_and_nicole,

Thank you very much for the kind review! Nice that you liked our "style" and found the breakfast rich and our team members helpful.
I will have a look at the bar prices!

Sao Paulo, Brazil
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights. Good and warm room, great shower and excellent location made it a good overall experience. Also the breakfast is a plus.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Jonass
Dear Jonass,

Thanks for your very fine review, glad you liked staying with us!

Tampere
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed here now for the second time, but my first must have been during summer time as I did not recall the harrowing darkness of the rooms! The room is very tidy, nice and stylish, the bathroom beautiful (although for us long haired travellers a if minus for lack of hair conditioner!) BUT the lighting was just awful. It was not just the usual lack of a ceiling light, which annoys me in all hotels, but the three smaller lamps were just so inadequate that working was made utterly impossible. I tried to use the table lamp and had to keep movin it to see what was written in my papers! Finally it got so dark that I had to stop working, which really annoyed me as it was a work trip. It was so dark that I couldn't find my clothes from my suitcase or my toiletries, unless I dragged them to the light. Awful!! I'm all for design, but this was a joke. I phoned the front desk about this and they said they could bring another lamp for me for next day. Didn't happen.

Then in the morning I went to visit the gym, which turned out to be a building site. There were drills lying on the floor, the treadmill broke (!!) in the middle of my excercise (the emergy stop button came off) and it was full of grubble and sand. And there was no TV, not even a clock so I could know the time. Had to resort to the free weights, which were ok. Naturally, the bike did not work. At all.

Overall, very disappointing. I even recommended the hotel to my boss - thank god he doesn't excercise!

The breakfast was very good though. That helps.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank observatrice
Dear Observatrice,

Thank you very much for taking time writing your review.

I am sorry that your second stay not lived up to your first and I will try to find out about the light issue. I know we haven’t the best lighting in the room, but it should not at all be the way you describe.
Our gym has undergone some major renovation due to being flooded earlier last year, and the gym should still have been closed here. It is now ready and in the best of shape, but I am truly sorry for your experience.

Glad that you at least enjoyed the breakfast!

Johan Åséll

Travellers are raving about these Copenhagen hotels

Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

We stayed here twice in the beginning of 2012 for a total of 6 nights. The junior suite we got (room 112) was perfect for a stay with 2 small children. The best was, though, the staff. Very friendly, helpful and nice in all ways. A bonus was the good food from the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tomas E
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Tomas E,

Thank you very much for your kind review. I am so happy to here that you and the family had a great stay!

stockholm,sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

I stayed at Scandic Front with family and relatives on a very cold winter weekend in January. I had noticed the hotel and it's location already the summer before, hanging out by the City Theater just in front of the hotel, and when it was time for a family trip I was happy to see the hotel had a great deal- 1000 DKK per night for a superiour room, It's a weekend price. Altogether we booked 3 rooms; one superiour and two regular rooms. Me and my husband travelled with our son, so we chose for a superiour room, which was well worth the extra krona's it cost. The extra bed didn't take make the room feel less spacious. My sister-in-law travelled with two children and chose for a regular room. In her room the extra bed made the room feel very cramped and she couldn't use the wardrobe as there was no space left to open it. She had the room next to the elevator, and for some reason her firniture looked more worn out and the room didn't feel half as luxorious as ours. My mother-in-law and her friend had a regular room too, but they didn't have any extra bed and their room had a very nice and warm rust-coloured interiour.All the bathrooms looked the same: small but very clean, nice heated cobble stone floor, built-in "rain" shower, plenty of space to spread your own stuff, enough towels for everyone.
I had already chosen for the location, and I knew there was a street running diagonally to Kongens Nytorv and the "nicer" part of Ströget, with Magasin and Illum. I also like the small streets around Grönnegade. It took five minutes to walk to Amalienborg. The immidiate surrounding is quite fancy and but you can still find cheap pizzas or take-away thai on the small streets leading from Nyhavn.
The icy cold did make us spend far more time at the hotel than we had originally planned, and this is where the homy feel of the hotel really got to matter. The lounge area feels like a second livingroom, you can easily sit and hang out there without feeling out of place. The people at the desk were really friendly and accomodating. One planned thing was to have an evening in with the boys while other family members went to a fancy dinner. I had planned to use the gym but it was closed as it was complety reniewed. So I suggested to the desk personnel that we could get free access to the pay-channels that showed films on tv as "compensation" and that was absolutely no problem. I had a great evening with the boys watching films until late!
We all stayed two nights and had two breakfast buffées which we all enjoyed very much. I have to agree with a previous poster that meat should be kept in a seperate warmer than egg and tomatoes, being a vegetarian I am very sensitive to all meaty oudeurs and flavours. But there were other sorts of egg, and really plenty enought to choose from to make anyone happy. As mentioned before-freshly made orange juice, ripe melons and ananas, just priceless!
All-in-all we were all very content with the hotel and I would't hesitate to book it again or to recommend it to anyone visiting Copenhagen.

Room Tip: Take a superiour room if you are more than 2. Avoid the room next to the elevator.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank glam1
Swedan2900, General Manager at Scandic Front, responded to this review, 9 February 2012
Dear glam1,

Thank you very much for the review. I am happy that you had a nice stay and enjoyed the homey feeling we have tried to create.
The regular size rooms will for sure get a bit cramped with an extra bed, and we are working our self’s through the property to fix some wear and tear issues.

Thanks again for taking the time writing about your stay!