4,742 results
All reviewswooden beamsopera housesalt restaurantconverted warehouselittle mermaidgreat locationroyal palaceharbour viewclose to nyhavnwater viewjunior suitelarge hotelbreakfast buffetmini baron footdouble bedrooms are small
Reviewed July 15, 2011

This hotel is a genuine disaster which is a real shame: it has so much potential. What appears to have happened is that all the effort as gone into the restaurant SALT to the point where management seems to have forgotten the hotel. The result is a level of service that makes Fawlty Towers look well-run.

A partial list of the disasters on out particular trip included:

1. There was no help with the luggage when we checked in. I enjoy juggling a 6-months old baby, prams, suitcases, and miscellanous hand-luggage.

2. The baby cot we had ordered (and paid for) was not in our room when we arrived. Two hours and four calls to reception later, it was still not in our room. By then our baby was very tired and crying.

3. There was no towel for the baby -- we had to steal one from the cleaner's trolly every day as there was no way to have it delivered automatically. What were we supposed to do -- hang the baby from the balcony to dry?

4. Ordering room service was a nightmare: the poor girl taking the order apparently had no copy of the menu and coudn't get it right. I had to spell out the order. Three times. in two languages. A small point, but the staff seems to be completely adrift and without the tools and training to make the place work.

5. The furniture is all expensive danish wood. Lovely, except that it doesn't work. The doors of the cupboards do not close, the extension of the table do not open, .... And don't get me started on those beds! I ended up sleeping on the floor.

6. At this price level (we paid £205/$331 per night) I expect a bottle of water or a piece of fruit in the room, as well as a Nesresso coffee machine or similar. Instead there is nothing.

Which leads to the gripe that everything costs at this hotel, and costs a lot. Internet access is DKK 50 (US$10) for two hours and the connection is so slow it is unusable for business. Room service is eye-wateringly expensive. For the supplement we had to pay for a cot in a week, we could have bought a cot outright. The minibar is one of those contraptions with electronic sensors where if you blow on the goods they automatically charge you on your bill.

It presents itself as a four star hotel, but the serive in the lobby is a vending machine. Yes, really. Like in the train stations (or Greyhound stations). Handy for that forgotten toothpaste, perhaps, but a grim experience though perhaps better than having to deal with the hotel staff who seem (rightly) to have given up all hope for the place.

By all means go to the restaurant which is adventurous if a little too heavy on the signature ingredient for our tastes, but avoid the hotel at all costs. Top tip: stay in Malmo instead which has nice hotels and the train journey is really lovely and quite short.

Room Tip: Get the canal view if you like opera as you can hear from across the canal
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank xyzzy24
Reviewed July 15, 2011

I've been traveling a lot and used trip advisor many times to organize my trips...however I've never opened an account to give my opinions. Admiral Hotel was the place which made me decide to finally participate !

it was a real disappointment.

the positive side :
- very good location, walking distance to center / in front of water/opera house with some very nice walks around
- nice typical building from the outside and on the ground floor
- nice breakfast. Not the best of the best but fresh products with large quantities of everything. It was a good surprise.

the negative sides :
- very bad services. We went there in June, the hotel was full of touristic groups, the service was really bad. Everytime we wanted to speak to the front desk we had to queue and wait for 10-15 minutes...irreal in such a 4 star hotel ! the staff is quite rude, overwhelmed with work. no smile, no nice words, just some sharp cold answers to any question you might have.
- the rooms are incredibly smal, old, dusty, hot. We had to change 3 times our room as the ones they were giving us didn't correspond to what we booked on internet. We asked for a baby bed... and in order to put the baby bed in the room they had to take out an armchair !
- the room was close to the elevators and all day/night long you could hear them going up and down, with very bad isolation.
- as expected in Copenhagen in June the nights were short but the only curtain was old, dirty and didnt cover any light, so that at 4 in the morning it was already full light in the room (fantastic for a baby)
- bed are not confortable, rooms are hot, furniture is old. carpets are dusty. windows are smal... the building itself is nice, the views are nice, but keep in mind that in such an historical fishery building, you cannot expect any large rooms.
- you had to pay high price for any extra...from internet (there are 2 old computers in the lobby at the disposal of a few hundreds clients...) to a shaving kit. definitly not what you expect in a "4 star" hotel.
- room cleaning was very partial, with some towels left on the floor of the room !

all in all we were very negatively surprised by the poor efficiency/organization at the hotel, the bad service from the staff and the rooms which are worth a 1 star hotel ! ..all of this for 300 euros per night !!

Would definitly not go back.

Room Tip: dont go there...and if you have no choice, take a room on high floor, facing the water..still that won't be a nice stay !
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank fairview16
Reviewed July 14, 2011

This hotel has a lot of charm as it is an old converted warehouse. There is no AC so the option in the summer is opening the patio door and requesting an electric fan. The lower floors are more subject to street noise hence ask for floors 5 or 6. The reason for staying here is LOCATION - close to everything. he concierge was very helpful and suggested great restaurant, just as well as we found the food to be very poor and expensive at "Salt" the restaurant on site.

The included breakfast was adequate but the room was cafeteria like. I would agree with others that this is a best a 3 star property but an ideal base for a couple of days of sightseeing

Room Tip: Get upgraded to a higher level harbour view room
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2011

The location is fantastic, just by the Neyhaven area (colored houses). We did most of the things by foot, since the city is not that big. One day we also rented bikes from the hotel and discovered bigger parts of the town by bike. A fantastic way to cover the further areas.
Sometimes I had the impression the reservation department was a bit confused and not so professional, we had customers here, and we had to make a couple of calls to make sure the billing instructions were done right.
The breakfast buffet was rather impersonal and looked like a mass tourism hall.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed July 1, 2011

I recently spent 4 nites while on a quick business trip. Having read previous reviews I pretty much knew what to expect and was not disappointed with the accomodations in any way.

Even though I arrived at the hotel midmorning I was able to obtain a room with only a 15 minute wait. That was a relief as I desperately wanted to take a brief nap. The hotel is located waterfront and just a short walk to Nyhavn. If you enjoy taking pictures and exploring you have found an ideal location.

The room was quite adequate, although it seemed a bit warm at times. However, by leaving the balcony door just slightly ajar at nite I slept very comfortably. I also appreciated the handheld shower head in the bathroom, that is something that I miss in most hotels.

At first look, the bed seemed a little unusual. It had a puffy, down comforter on it that you slept on. I have to say though, that it was very comfortable to sleep on and in the morning my back was not stiff and sore as it is at home. I may just look for such a comforter for my own bed.
I found all the staff to be very friendly and helpful during my stay. The first morning I arose about 6 AM, and ventured to the lobby to see if there was somewhere to get a coffee. I inquired at the front desk and in just a moment a gentleman appeared with a large, piping hot coffee. This scenario was repeated on sunsequent mornings.

I greatly enjoyed my stay and would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business